Author Topic: In-ground Fertilizer  (Read 2578 times)

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
In-ground Fertilizer
« on: April 05, 2017, 05:30:31 PM »
I have always had all of my citrus trees in containers and use Jack's 5-1-3 ratio.. I recently planted a Flame grapefruit, Washington Naval, Page Mandarin and unknown mandarin grown from seed in the ground.

Since I have never had them in the ground before, I was wondering what was the best ration for in-ground fertilizer? My local Home Depot sells 3 different brands.

Thank you,

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: In-ground Fertilizer
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 05:47:00 PM »
The nutrient ratio that your citrus trees absorb nutrients does not change whether it is in the ground or container.  However, what needs to be applied depends on the residual nutrition already within the local soil.  I feed all my in ground tree with Jacks 5-1-3 ratio fertilizer.

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 06:04:54 PM »
the 5-1-3 I apply with each watering... should i continue to do so with my in-ground trees?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 09:22:52 PM »
I am no expert but feeding every water seems a bit overkill.  I feed citrus 3 or 4 times a year and mulch.  They aren't too picky.  Any citrus fertilizer is fine.  Might try something stronger than 5 1 3 if that stuff costs a lot.  I get grow power 8 6 8 for 20$ 20lbs for reference.  Just used 100$ worth of various fertilizers on all my plants.  That stuff adds up fast if you have many trees.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 09:26:50 PM »
GRO-POWER Premium Citrus & Avocado Food 8-6-8
Ideal for all citrus, avocado, fruit and nut trees, as well as grape and berry vines.

40% Humus, 8% Humic Acids, Controlled Release Nitrogen, 4% Magnesium, 4% Sulfur, 2% Iron, micronutrients and soil penetrant.

Sizes Available: 3.5# Pail • 8# Pail • 20# Bag • 40# Bag

Brad Spaugh

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 06:55:12 PM »
thank you! I will check and see if they sell it at my local store.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 06:59:25 PM »
spaugh, 5-1-3 is not the fertilizer formula, it is the fertilizer ratio.  5-1-3 has a fertilizer formula of 25-5-15 (25% N, 5% P, 15% K)

robbyhernz--- Below shows the number of fertilizer applications that should be made to in-ground citrus trees. (These are the recommendations by the University of Florida)

1 Year old tree -- 6 applications/year
2 Year old trees - 5 applications/year
3 Year old trees - 4 applications/year
4-year old trees - 3 applications/year
5+ year old trees - 3 applications/ year.

Like spaugh wrote you can certainly use other fertilizer formulations if you wish. Common ones are 6-6-6, 8-8-8 or 10-10-10.    The University of Florida does not recommend dry granular broadcast fertilizers stronger than a 8% N content on in-ground citrus tree younger than 4 years old.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 10:26:01 PM by Millet »

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 02:25:02 PM »
Thank you Millet.

Last question, i promise! Do you consider the age of the tree all together or how long it's been in the ground. For example, my trees are 3-5 years old but were in containers; this is the first year I put them in the ground.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 04:07:39 PM »
The time the tree spend growing in the container would certainly count in the age of the tree.  However, the size of the tree's root system since it was restricted by the size of the container, would not come close to the size of the root system spent growing in the soil for 3 to 5 years.   I guess personally I would not count the container years. We'll see what others on this forum think.

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 02:19:24 PM »
thank you!

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 02:51:11 PM »
Some bags and some recommendations on line list trunk diameter or years of age as guide lines. You might be more comfortable using a trunk diameter guide.