Author Topic: Advice for one last mango tree  (Read 8212 times)

Chicken Vindaloo

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
Advice for one last mango tree
« on: May 09, 2017, 09:31:30 AM »
Hello all-knowing mango aficionados,
I discovered this forum after planting most of my trees. I currently have a mature Glenn and Kent (in yard when I bought the house), a Carrie, Malika, Fairchild, Florigon, Alfonso, Pickering, and Angie. I'm now removing an ailing grapefruit  tree and have an opportunity to plant one more tree. I'm thinking mango :^)   So...I'm considering a late season tree, but am also tempted by a top tier Zill variety. Obviously that is a purely subjective decision, but is something like a Lemon Zest in a whole other league than say, a Venus, Honey Kiss, or Beverly? If so, I may opt for taste quality. And is it too early to know about this M4 I  read about on this forum? Sounds appealing on many levels. Finally, is there a consensus list of "top tier" mangoes? I searched, but could not find one.
Thanks for the opinions everyone!
                                                                                                     Eric

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for one last mango tree
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 09:50:28 AM »
This thread has a lot of info.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=16992.0

Some of my favorites are Lemon Zest, DOT, Kesar, Sweet Tart

Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 09:59:51 AM »
You actually have room for 2 more...either get rid of or top work the Alphonso.   It is a very poor producer. In terms of production and quality in Florida.

If you are looking for later season, you could go with Sweet Tart or Peach Cobbler,  both basically August harvest time.

While Lemon Zest is excellent,  I have also seen some who dont particularly like it (not a ton but keep in mind, tastes are subjective and while Sweet Tart even has a huge following, I have sren prople eho do not like it).

Its easy to list ones top but just cause they are say my top dorsnt mean they will be yours.

My top recommendations (that you dont already have):  Sweet Tart. Peach Cobbler,  Juicy Peach. Cotton Candy,  Phoenix, M4. Lemon Zest, Cac/Coc.

Close runner ups:  Venus, Honey Kiss,  Kathy, Pineapple Pleasure,  Pina Colada, Fruit Punch, Spirit of 76.

I have not named a couple varieties I would recommend due to difficulty in obtaining:  Guava and Son Pari
- Rob

Chicken Vindaloo

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 10:12:33 AM »
This thread has a lot of info.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=16992.0

Some of my favorites are Lemon Zest, DOT, Kesar, Sweet Tart

Simon

Thanks Simon,
You're right, a lot of great info in that thread! Much to consider...

Chicken Vindaloo

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 10:21:50 AM »
Thanks Rob,
Sweet Tart seems to be a consistent top recommendation. I have a friend who has one, as well as most of the other varieties, but his are all young trees, so I don't know if he'll have any fruit I can taste. But that's now one of my top contenders. I'll search for season, size, etc.
Eric

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 02:41:36 PM »
Since you are in the Florida area, why not make a trip during peak mango season to sample all the mangos before purchasing a tree? 

Simon

Chicken Vindaloo

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 06:14:02 PM »
Since you are in the Florida area, why not make a trip during peak mango season to sample all the mangos before purchasing a tree? 

Simon

Where would be the best place to do that?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 08:10:21 PM »
Try Truely Tropical in Del Rey Beach. I've never been to Florida but plan on making a trip in the coming years when my daughters are a bit older. I'm not sure if Zills has a storefront where they sell fruit but some of the Florida members may know.

Simon

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 10:50:47 PM »
Try Truely Tropical in Del Rey Beach. I've never been to Florida but plan on making a trip in the coming years when my daughters are a bit older. I'm not sure if Zills has a storefront where they sell fruit but some of the Florida members may know.

Simon
Yes, the Zills have lots of fruit for sale in Lake Worth.  I've tasted a bunch of different varieties there.  On one occasion the lady kept giving me sample after sample.  I was sorry I had eaten lunch beforehand.  Sweet Tart has that strong tart component so make sure you like that.  I think the citrus taste of either Lemon Zest or PPK/Lemon Meringue is out of this world.  Cotton Candy might be a good late season mango for you.
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 11:10:17 PM »

Simon
Yes, the Zills have lots of fruit for sale in Lake Worth.  I've tasted a bunch of different varieties there.  On one occasion the lady kept giving me sample after sample.  I was sorry I had eaten lunch beforehand.  Sweet Tart has that strong tart component so make sure you like that.  I think the citrus taste of either Lemon Zest or PPK/Lemon Meringue is out of this world.  Cotton Candy might be a good late season mango for you.

Are you talking about ZHPP or Walter's and Verna's?

- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 11:15:53 PM »
Best place to try some of the newer releases is Walter and Verna Ziill's place in Boynton Beach or Tropical Acres in West Palm Beach.  You will find more of the standby varieties with the possibility of some newer varieties at Excalibur in Lake Worth and Truly Tropical in Delray Beach.

The bulk of available fruit will begin in June and into July and go yhrough August, delending on the aforementioned placed and supplies.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 11:17:51 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 12:42:54 AM »
Best place to try some of the newer releases is Walter and Verna Ziill's place in Boynton Beach or Tropical Acres in West Palm Beach.  You will find more of the standby varieties with the possibility of some newer varieties at Excalibur in Lake Worth and Truly Tropical in Delray Beach.

The bulk of available fruit will begin in June and into July and go yhrough August, delending on the aforementioned placed and supplies.

Thanks for that info,  I will be in Florida from the 1st till 15th of June.  hopefully I will be able to try some of the new varieties I keep reading about.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 08:41:10 AM »
ZHPP.  7424 Hypoluxo Farms Rd., Lake Worth.  Tons of mangos of all varieties.  I've also been to Walter's in Boynton Beach and Truly Tropical, which is in the same neighborhood.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 12:52:37 PM by johnb51 »
John

Chicken Vindaloo

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 08:21:44 AM »
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I know that the logical course of action is to wait to try varieties this summer, but mango mania has fully taken hold. If I can find a Sweet Tart in the near future I will pick one up. I tend to like boldly flavored (actually most) mangos, and based on all the descriptions here, I'm pretty confident that I'll like ST. I also like the fact that it's late season and isn't a super vigorous tree. The only two varieties that I've ever actively disliked were Neelam & Lancetilla. My only regret is that although I'm pretty happy with my current selection of mango trees, I wish I had discovered this forum years ago. Rob, I will consider replacing the Alphonso. I remember when I was planting it and was so excited to have gotten "the best mango tree in the world"  :P

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 09:44:36 AM »
Yeah, Neelam sucks!
John

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 12:26:39 PM »
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I know that the logical course of action is to wait to try varieties this summer, but mango mania has fully taken hold. If I can find a Sweet Tart in the near future I will pick one up. I tend to like boldly flavored (actually most) mangos, and based on all the descriptions here, I'm pretty confident that I'll like ST. I also like the fact that it's late season and isn't a super vigorous tree. The only two varieties that I've ever actively disliked were Neelam & Lancetilla. My only regret is that although I'm pretty happy with my current selection of mango trees, I wish I had discovered this forum years ago. Rob, I will consider replacing the Alphonso. I remember when I was planting it and was so excited to have gotten "the best mango tree in the world"  :P

If you are on Merritt Island, Then give John a call at Tropical Islands Nursery. He has most of the new variety's, even Sweet Tart.

Chicken Vindaloo

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2017, 09:54:22 PM »
Great advice folks. I spoke to Chris at Truly Tropical last week and met up with her at the nursery. Got a 7 gal Sweet Tart and a 3 gal PPK. I also picked up a couple of sugar apples for a friend. I wish I could have spoken with Chris longer. She is a fount of knowledge. Thanks to everyone for the input and pointing me in the right direction.
Eric

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2017, 10:14:13 PM »
Great advice folks. I spoke to Chris at Truly Tropical last week and met up with her at the nursery. Got a 7 gal Sweet Tart and a 3 gal PPK. I also picked up a couple of sugar apples for a friend. I wish I could have spoken with Chris longer. She is a fount of knowledge. Thanks to everyone for the input and pointing me in the right direction.
Eric

Chris has been uploading tours of her farm, and is also making video presentations of specific varieties, as the come into season. I also hope to pay TT a visit soon.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Chicken Vindaloo

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 08:43:34 AM »

If you are on Merritt Island, Then give John a call at Tropical Islands Nursery. He has most of the new variety's, even Sweet Tart.
[/quote]

Thanks Johnb51,
That would have been very convenient, but we had a trip planned down south for Mother's Day to visit our daughter in Ft. Lauderdale anyway.  I will be sure to check out Tropical Islands Nursery in the future. I believe I had tried to call there a couple of times in the past and no one answered.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 12:44:22 PM »
I'm going to stop by tropical island today, any thing you want to know is in stock?  I ate my first from my yard PPK today, I got the tree from John.  WOW THAT IS A SUPURB MANGO.

Chicken Vindaloo

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 09:14:31 AM »
I'm going to stop by tropical island today, any thing you want to know is in stock?  I ate my first from my yard PPK today, I got the tree from John.  WOW THAT IS A SUPURB MANGO.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm out of planting room. I'm really glad to hear your description of the PPK. I was second guessing myself wondering if I should have gotten a LZ instead. I know that you can't go wrong either way.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 09:01:10 AM »
LZ is probably better but I like the PPK for the early factor.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2017, 09:03:36 AM »
PPK is awesome!
John

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2017, 09:10:49 PM »
Very smart move with PPK!  I have LZ but I just had a PPK and it had internal bruising so obviously dropped but the outer part was amazing. And when earlier by several weeks, that's a big win in my opinion without possibly giving up any quality. I think the extended season of covering it all is of utmost importance. If you have more than 4 trees, its crazy not too!

Chicken Vindaloo

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 12:06:48 PM »
Thanks beefyboy. Here is the end result of my obsessing. The larger tree is the Sweet Tart, the smaller, PPK. And now, I wait. Not patiently though, especially since all my other mango trees seem to be taking a break this year.  :P

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 01:29:29 PM »
PPK is awesome!

What does PPK stand for?

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 01:31:48 PM »
Po Pyu Kalay.

AKA Lemon Meringue.    8)

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 02:52:25 PM »
Just had a tree ripe PPK last night. Any sweeter and it would be too sweet for my taste. Makes me wander if I should plant my Cotton Candy or keep it in a pot until I can try one?

Po Pyu Kalay.

AKA Lemon Meringue.    8)

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2017, 11:23:15 AM »
Hey MangoMongo!  It is funny that you wrote what you did about Cotton Candy maybe being to sweet. I have decided to pull out my Cotton Candy now and replacing it with Honey Kiss. I think the extended season of HK is another reason besides the fact that over the top sweetness is something that could be too much. I already have Phoenix and I pray that it is not over the top sickening sweet either. Some of these mangoes that are bred with Gary seem to be a bit too much in my opinion. Sometimes I like just a good Keitt to get away from all the damn sweetness. I will never pull my Keitt, I am realizing now it is a workhorse and never stops in a somewhat small tree package.

Fig-Doctor

• Florida West Palm Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 10:33:47 PM »
If you like complex and very very sweet mango then choose Dot, Lemon zest, Coco cream, Sweet tart. You will not regret it. All of them, Just amazing for me. I personally like Carrie also for the same reason. But if you don’t like too sweet but just sweet enough (sweeter then Glenn) then Maha, Fair child, Angie. Keitt is also optional. I personally like extremly sweet and complex flavor.