Author Topic: Minneola Tangelo Tree  (Read 1877 times)

peafunk12

• Miami
    • View Profile
Minneola Tangelo Tree
« on: November 02, 2020, 11:21:42 AM »
Minneola Tangelo Tree has been looking bad bought it about 3 years ago with fruit home depot

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Minneola Tangelo Tree
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 04:32:28 PM »
try reposting in the citrus section of the forum, you may get better responses.

It looks like your tree needs fertilizer.   It is quite yellow.  Also, many leaves look deformed, perhaps leaf miners or some other insects were attacking the new growth before it filled out. 

I do see new buds opening in your pictures.  New growth is a good sign.  If the new growth is consistent and becomes a nice dark green your tree should be fine.

The pictures are a bit blurry, but what is the white stuff on the 3rd picture from the top?  It looks like scale... cottony cushion scale or mealybugs maybe.  Look at that area more closely.  If you have scale it can be detrimental to tree health
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 04:34:42 PM by brian »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 11:39:29 PM »
I'm not sure if you ever got the answer you were looking for, but those are classic citrus greening symptoms. The leaves are distorted by the psylids sucking juice from them when they are young and the leaves display blotchy yellow spots in no discernable pattern.

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 05:19:55 AM »
I'm not sure if you ever got the answer you were looking for, but those are classic citrus greening symptoms. The leaves are distorted by the psylids sucking juice from them when they are young and the leaves display blotchy yellow spots in no discernable pattern.
Definitely citrus greening. There is no reversing it unfortunately.

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 07:57:18 AM »
you can ask just get a test it to see if it's greening by apartment horticulture I highly doubt it's greening looks more like nutrientation issue
hopefully you got a different citrus with it because the mineola's need to be cross-pollinated with pineapple orange Temple Orange and a few others can work with it
Next thing is that tree grafted on bitter orange and you can see the branches growing from the bottom below the graft it'll be better to remove those it's just going to take away nutrients from your tree
If you see little traction and bottom leaves you have leaf Miners and it's better to trim and spray

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 08:34:42 AM »
you can ask just get a test it to see if it's greening by apartment horticulture I highly doubt it's greening looks more like nutrientation issue
hopefully you got a different citrus with it because the mineola's need to be cross-pollinated with pineapple orange Temple Orange and a few others can work with it
Next thing is that tree grafted on bitter orange and you can see the branches growing from the bottom below the graft it'll be better to remove those it's just going to take away nutrients from your tree
If you see little traction and bottom leaves you have leaf Miners and it's better to trim and spray

Agree that I am not convinced its greening.

As to the rootstock,  most Florida citrus growers use Swingle as a rootstock.   Either way, as stated, cut it off as close to the main trunk as possible.

As stated, you will get very few fruit without cross pollination.  Best pollenizers for SFla are a Temple (which is Tangor and a very tasty fruit itself) and a Dancy Tangerine (which is a small tasty but very seedy fruit).  Fallglo will also work but not as well.
- Rob

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 09:33:29 AM »
Citrus trees are high maintenace. Currently it's estimated that 80% of the citrus
in Florida have greening. It is not fatal but now the groves are fertlizing more frequently to
combat the greening. The overall yield of the tree will be 1/3 of what they use to produce
if you follow the higher fertlize regimen. A typical tree will produce over 300 oranges. If you
get 100 oranges it is more then enough for a family. The tree shows signs of leaf minor which
is treated by  imidacloprid. The imidacloprid lasts about 90 days and needs to be reapplied.
The psyllid lays eggs on new growth, there are alternatives to using imidacloprid as long
as you protect the new growth with some other poison? I have a couple citrus trees including a
Kishu that produces 300+ tangerines every year. Citrus are allot of work.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 12:16:49 PM »
The large leaf in the bottom of the last picture shows a different pattern of chlorosis on the right vs the left half of the leaf. Greening is the only thing that causes that to my knowledge. Nutritional deficiencies tend to display a mirror image on both sides of the leaf.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 01:04:14 PM »
Get yourself some Miracle Grow and start feeding it at regular strength weekly - One spoonful per gallon - Soak the ground well.
Keep this up for a few months and you should see rapid growth and considerable improvement.
Not sure where you are located... but I assume freezing temps are not an issue... if so... new growth is very tender and can easily be damaged by freezing temps... so use good judgment.
If you don't see a vast improvement by next spring perhaps yo need to pull it and buy a healthier specimen.

Good Luck.

Kevin Jones

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 01:37:58 PM »
Get yourself some Miracle Grow and start feeding it at regular strength weekly - One spoonful per gallon - Soak the ground well.
Keep this up for a few months and you should see rapid growth and considerable improvement.
Not sure where you are located... but I assume freezing temps are not an issue... if so... new growth is very tender and can easily be damaged by freezing temps... so use good judgment.
If you don't see a vast improvement by next spring perhaps yo need to pull it and buy a healthier specimen.

Good Luck.

Kevin Jones

The OP is in Miami, no issues with freezing.  While Miracle Gro will give a boost, its not recommended to feed with it continually.  I also see what looks like possible leaf miner damage (hard to see exactly as the pictures are quite blurry), which will require drenching with imidacloprid.
- Rob

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 02:16:02 PM »
I hear you Bullie...
I too get leaf minor damage here in central Alabama... mostly cosmetic... no real damage... and it only happens in the spring... not year-round... it may be different in Miami.
I still stand by my recommendation of Miracle Grow... I use it year round on my Containerized Citrus without issue.
Of course... every 3 years or so I do a soil change to reduce salt build up... works a charm!
I'm sure there are other fertilizer options that work well. Organic etc.

Kevin Jones

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 06:51:26 PM »
I hear you Bullie...
I too get leaf minor damage here in central Alabama... mostly cosmetic... no real damage... and it only happens in the spring... not year-round... it may be different in Miami.
I still stand by my recommendation of Miracle Grow... I use it year round on my Containerized Citrus without issue.
Of course... every 3 years or so I do a soil change to reduce salt build up... works a charm!
I'm sure there are other fertilizer options that work well. Organic etc.

Kevin Jones
Why do you do a whole soil change.. can’t you just flush a few times with fresh water? Heck I fertilize all my citrus intermittently with MG and the rainwater alone usually flushes it out..

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 06:53:22 PM »
The large leaf in the bottom of the last picture shows a different pattern of chlorosis on the right vs the left half of the leaf. Greening is the only thing that causes that to my knowledge. Nutritional deficiencies tend to display a mirror image on both sides of the leaf.
The right half is in a shadow..

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 07:01:56 PM »
A good number of times I plant a tree the moles dig tunnels through the rootballs trying to get grubs and worms, and end up damaging the plant (sometimes pretty severely) and stunt it for a while. When that happens the leaves do weird things like kind of get yellow blotches like in photo 5.. I’m not ruling out the possibility of HLB but thought I’d add that especially if you’re having to water often (leaves droops often), moles might be damaging the roots. It also may be nutrient deficient so yeah I’d go ahead and fertilize with some MG. And stir in a handful of limestone into the MG solution.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 07:03:29 PM by 850FL »

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 07:13:57 PM »
I like that rainwater flush technique... have to give it a try.

Kevin jones

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2020, 11:32:11 AM »
I agree. Being someone that has had their share of greening, it looks like typical signs.  The cities pysllid bites are as clear as day as qell.

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2020, 11:47:21 AM »
I agree. Being someone that has had their share of greening, it looks like typical signs.  The cities pysllid bites are as clear as day as qell.
I don't think it greening I would get it test but I think it interveinal chlorosis
Plz update us if you get it test on it

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk