Author Topic: What is the best day time for pollination?  (Read 1486 times)

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
What is the best day time for pollination?
« on: May 08, 2018, 05:49:50 AM »
I wonder if there is a best time for pollination on Citrus. I noticed that stigma isn`t always sticky over the day but I haven`t observed it to precisely to make a decision. Does it depend on day time or the age of the flower?

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best day time for pollination?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 07:04:54 PM »
Probably early morning or evening, when it's not going to be too wet. Probably better not to do it on a windy day also.
I wouldn't do it in the morning if you're expecting that day to be very hot and very dry low humidity, which is often the case in some climates. However, in Germany, the issue would be more cold, so all this wouldn't apply. If it's outside, you may want to wait until May to pollinate (not that you may have much choice because they will flower when they flower). So in Germany it might be better to try it in the late morning.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 07:14:38 PM by SoCal2warm »

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best day time for pollination?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 04:08:33 PM »
The moment for the optimal pollination corresponds to appereance of sticky moisture on stigma.  It depends on variety and environmental conditions, but pollen  can be placed before the optimal time, actually  to achieve good fertilization it is better to pollinate the flower several times.
Best regards,
                       Ilya