Author Topic: Are Americans bored with citrus?  (Read 2428 times)

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
Are Americans bored with citrus?
« on: July 28, 2014, 08:39:11 PM »
I hope not,I think citrus should be grown more than any other fruit. I don't have a lot of experience in this field but might crank it up a little help for seasoned expert on this forum. Millet should get a better following.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Are Americans bored with citrus?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 08:54:29 PM »
The problem with citrus is the abundance of diseases and pests in the last decade or so. These issues have made it a hassle to keep most citrus plants happy and thriving, especially without use of fungicides and pesticides.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 09:31:03 PM »
only pummelo grows well in my climate so that's what i grow. Also tahiti lime but they still haven't fruited.

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 08:54:47 PM »
I have not been hit by any problems yet and i did not know there are that many.I am not looking forward to any.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 10:35:45 AM »
In my experience, most of the fresh oranges & mandarins being sold taste mediocre to bad.  There's no obvious way to tell without sampling them before purchase and grocery stores don't make this convenient.  I think that if citrus brands were created that held a higher standard of quality they could pick up interest.  Pink Lady brand cripp's pink apples are like this, only fruit that meets higher standards are branded. 

From wikipedia:
"Pink Lady brand apples must meet certain trade mark quality specifications. Criteria for the specifications include sugar content, firmness, blemishes and colour. Inspections are regularly performed to ensure both the quality and traceability of the apple from the orchard to the shop."

These are pretty much the only apples I buy, even though they are more expensive.  The only marketing I see for citrus is the Cuties brand which is pitching convenience but not exactly taste.  They vary.  Sunkist oranges are often bland.  Inkagold mandarins too.  I'm sure these brands have some standards but they need to raise the bar.

Maybe the problem is that only a small portion of the citrus crop is top quality compared to other fruit?  Or varies more with the weather?  I'm really not sure.  I end up throwing away most of the sweet citrus I buy but the occasional great batch makes it worth trying.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 01:30:38 PM »
Maybe its a seasonal thing.  I rarely buy citrus May-Oct.  But in season, many fruit from the store are excellent.  The only citrus I buy year round are lemons and limes, because i cannot imagine a meal without squeezing fresh lemon juice on it!  Even roasted potatoes are fabuloius with lemon.  And limes are foundational for so many things from salads to drinks to marinades (and especially ceviche!). I did buy a couple minneola tangelos the other day and was sorry I did.  They looked so tempting in the produce bin....
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a