Author Topic: Edward or Dot?  (Read 4684 times)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Edward or Dot?
« on: November 08, 2014, 07:46:59 PM »
I know both are consider great mangos but if you would have only one choice which would you pick?
Based on flavor only...
El verde es vida!

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Edward or Dot?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 07:56:13 PM »
Dot

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 08:06:12 PM »
Edward  ;D

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 08:28:02 PM »
The forum praises the Edward as was the top tasting Mangos....not top 5, but I believe top 10. Its shortcomings seem to be its a  shy bearer I dont hear so much about the Dot Mango on this forum....However Edwards is talked about often and holds it fairly well on every Mango group testing mentioned on this forum.

So Edward?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 08:33:26 PM »
Dot.

If you had to choose between Edgar and Dot, that would be a competition.  I ate dozens of varieties this summer and Dot ranked up there amongst all my fellow tasters. 

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 08:50:41 PM »
..........................................DOT.........................................

Edward is a great classic mango, but Dot is phenomenal. Sweet tart before there was a Sweet Tart.
JC

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 08:52:44 PM »
How do you have an opinion without ever having had tasted either? 

The forum praises the Edward as was the top tasting Mangos....not top 5, but I believe top 10. Its shortcomings seem to be its a  shy bearer I dont hear so much about the Dot Mango on this forum....However Edwards is talked about often and holds it fairly well on every Mango group testing mentioned on this forum.

So Edward?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 08:54:37 PM by jc »
JC

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 09:14:56 PM »
Ok guys! Looks like  Dot is on the lead but; somebody mention Edgar which I think is a mix of Edward/ Gary; would the Edgar be superior to this two?
El verde es vida!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »
How do you have an opinion without ever having had tasted either? 

So Edward?

Judging purely off of the Group tastings linked on this forum and some feedback as well
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

redhaus

• USA, IL, Chicago, Zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 11:47:31 AM »
Ok guys! Looks like  Dot is on the lead but; somebody mention Edgar which I think is a mix of Edward/ Gary; would the Edgar be superior to this two?

Raul, taste is completely subjective so what one ranks as #1 might be ranked dead last by someone else. Unless you can taste them, the best way to decide would be by reading the flavor descriptions and choosing based on what kind of mango you like.

EDIT: I personally don't like Indochina varieties. That plain and simple, ordinary "mango" flavor I don't like. I prefer the India/Pakistan mangoes (DUH) whose flavor is a bit more complex. Since I'm growing Sweet Tart I'd definitely go with Dot.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 04:35:07 PM by redhaus »

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 12:09:33 PM »

Raul, taste is completely subjective so what one ranks as #1 might be ranked dead last by someone else. Unless you can taste them, the best way to decide would be by reading the flavor descriptions and choosing based on what kind of mango you like.

I personally don't like India/Pakistan mangoes (and I'm Indian lol). That plain and simple, ordinary "mango" flavor I don't like. I prefer the Indochina varieties whose flavor is a bit more complex. Since I'm growing Sweet Tart I'd definitely go with Dot.
Hi Redhaus, yes you're right, the best way is to taste them , but when you are ina place where you don't have access it's helpfullto go with the reviews that way you can have an idea of what to expect, by the way I always thought it was the other way around, the indian types with more complex flavor( alphonso, alampur,mallika, etc) and the indochinese just plain sweet honey flavor ( NamDok, Okrung, keo Savoy, etc.)
El verde es vida!

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 01:15:31 PM »

I personally don't like India/Pakistan mangoes (and I'm Indian lol). That plain and simple, ordinary "mango" flavor I don't like. I prefer the Indochina varieties whose flavor is a bit more complex. Since I'm growing Sweet Tart I'd definitely go with Dot.

Dot tastes like an Indian mango. Its rich and strongly flavored with a spice note.

I always thought it was the other way around, the indian types with more complex flavor( alphonso, alampur,mallika, etc) and the indochinese just plain sweet honey flavor ( NamDok, Okrung, keo Savoy, etc.)

Yes
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 01:17:55 PM by Squam256 »

redhaus

• USA, IL, Chicago, Zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 04:40:04 PM »
Sorry for my misunderstanding and the post. I've edited it to prevent spreading incorrect information (sorry about that).

My point was that since I grew up in the midwest I haven't tasted many varieties. But I try to figure out who likes the ones that I've liked so I can put more stock in their opinion.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 05:32:38 PM »
With it's tart component, Dot can be a 'punch in the mouth' to the unaccustomed despite it being sweet/ very sweet. If tart is your thing, Dot will be your thing. While I haven't eaten an Edward I didnt like, compared to Dot, I'd say Edward is mild and much smoother/refined.

p.s. WRT indian mangoes, I'm a huge fan of Mallika. (highly disease resistance, sets lots of fruit, small seed & lots of fiberless pulp, but more importantly- a distinct sweet orange flavor). yummy!
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 05:38:19 PM »

Dot tastes like an Indian mango. Its rich and strongly flavored with a spice

Yep!
Past few years I've eaten 50+ mango varieties each year, every year Dot is in the top 3-5. At any given time it could be my favorite.  Very intense sweetness with mouthwatering tart balance.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 05:41:07 PM by jc »
JC

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 06:24:28 PM »

Edgar is a fine mango!!  I like it best of the 3 mentioned.  FWIW All 3 are good though.  Dot gets better after a while in the fridge. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2014, 07:26:09 PM »
I'm not certain, but I don't believe Edgar trees are available for retail sale.

Edgar is a fine mango!!  I like it best of the 3 mentioned.  FWIW All 3 are good though.  Dot gets better after a while in the fridge.
JC

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk