Author Topic: Cinnamon  (Read 3797 times)

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
Cinnamon
« on: March 02, 2017, 06:24:43 PM »
Anyone growing Cinnamon in sw/s FL.? How big does it really get?
Quentin

JonathonForester

• Pinellas Co, Fl
    • View Profile
Re: Cinnamon
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 07:01:29 PM »
We have one that was 4ft when we got it, it's about 9ft now and constantly pushing new growth year round. It's been just over a year and a half I'd guess. Still a fairly thin trunk. Inch and a quarter roughly. So I could see it getting quite large if unkempt.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 09:51:26 PM »
Container seems to keep size in check, I have one in a 3 gallon container , been there for years,  give it a little pruning maybe once a year.  I believe I have the true cinnamon, Cinnamomum verum  always seems healthy, attractive looking. bugs seem to stay away from it.   I am sure if it was in the ground, it would be big by now.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 10:15:01 PM »
Cinnamon Verum is a slow grower.  It would take years to reach 15'
Peter

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 11:00:10 PM »

"Which" cinnamon?  Some nurseries tend to abuse the name and interchange cassia and cinnamon.  Leaf shapes are totally different as are the uses, benefits and growth habits.
- Rob

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 01:10:57 AM »
My Cinnamon Verum is about 8-9ft with a 4" diameter trunk and it's an epically slow grower here. Jaboticabas race past this tree. Chris
-Chris

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 11:04:58 AM »
Cinnamomum Zeylanicum
Quentin

JonathonForester

• Pinellas Co, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 12:56:59 PM »
Ours is a Cinnamomum verum, its in a mostly unmodified florida sand. It grows like really vigorously for me.

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 01:59:58 PM »
Cinnamomum verum,[2] called true cinnamon tree or Ceylon cinnamon tree is a small evergreen tree belonging to the family Lauraceae, native to Sri Lanka.[3] Among other species, its inner bark is used to make cinnamon.

The old botanical synonym for the tree—Cinnamomum zeylanicum—is derived from Sri Lanka's former name, Ceylon.

So I guess it's the same tree.
Quentin

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 03:52:52 PM »

"Which" cinnamon?  Some nurseries tend to abuse the name and interchange cassia and cinnamon.  Leaf shapes are totally different as are the uses, benefits and growth habits.

You can distinguish them not only by the leaf shape but they have different scent. Ceylon cinnamon is sweet  with tone of clove inside. More pungent is cassia and between them Indonesian cinnamon (C. burmanii). Indonesian cinnamon grow very fast, ceylon cinnamon is less vigorous grower. I reccomend to plant both because they can be easily maintained by prunnning about 10 ft high and both are very good for kitchen as a spice.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 06:57:24 PM »
verum and zeylanicum are the same species. It does eventually get huge but is slow growing, especially at first. C. cassia is often confused with true cinnamon and is also often added to true cinnamon spice as a filler. It is not as good quality, but the tree grows a whole lot faster, is easier to grow, and also gets huge.
The leaves of both species are quite different, so easy to tell apart. Verum has lareger more rounded leaves. Cassia is smaller and more elongated leaves. New growth on verum is bright red, unlike greenish new growth on cassia.
Oscar

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 07:17:46 PM »
I love tea from the leaves ceylon cinnamom  it almost gels in the cup ,and the flavor o my god the best

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 07:39:26 PM »
I love tea from the leaves ceylon cinnamom  it almost gels in the cup ,and the flavor o my god the best

That sounds interesting how do you make it? Do you use fresh leaves or dry them?
Quentin

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 10:32:09 PM »

I reccomend to plant both because they can be easily maintained by prunnning about 10 ft high and both are very good for kitchen as a spice.

Because of high coumarin content in casia, I would discourage use of this species. I think it does more damage than good. Go for the real thing.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 11:47:37 PM »

You can distinguish them not only by the leaf shape but they have different scent. Ceylon cinnamon is sweet  with tone of clove inside. More pungent is cassia and between them Indonesian cinnamon (C. burmanii). Indonesian cinnamon grow very fast, ceylon cinnamon is less vigorous grower. I reccomend to plant both because they can be easily maintained by prunnning about 10 ft high and both are very good for kitchen as a spice.

If one's ultimate goal is to harvest the bark for cinnamon,  pruning the tree to keep "small" is not beneficial.   You want the tree to grow up so you can proceed with the sacrific to get the water suckers to harvest the bark.

Other uses are processing the leaves for the oil.  It can be used for baking/flavoring or taken in its oil state as a beneficial natural "medicine " for the body and specifically beneficial co trol of blood sugar level for those with diabetes.
- Rob

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 06:18:51 AM »

I reccomend to plant both because they can be easily maintained by prunnning about 10 ft high and both are very good for kitchen as a spice.

Because of high coumarin content in casia, I would discourage use of this species. I think it does more damage than good. Go for the real thing.

If you dont consume it daily and in high doses I think it cannot harm you. But it is true that ceylon cinnamon scent is much more better and is safer.

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 06:24:12 AM »

If one's ultimate goal is to harvest the bark for cinnamon,  pruning the tree to keep "small" is not beneficial.   You want the tree to grow up so you can proceed with the sacrific to get the water suckers to harvest the bark.

I must keep them small because Im limited with roof of greenhouse as I live in nontropical climate. In FL I think you can grow them without any prunning and they can easily attain 10 m hihg

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 08:30:29 AM »

That sounds interesting how do you make it? Do you use fresh leaves or dry them?

I use fresh,but i think dry would be fine

I think they stool trees for bark production
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 08:33:55 AM by shot »

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 02:25:12 AM »

I use fresh,but i think dry would be fine

I think they stool trees for bark production

I will try this soon.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bbudd

• thailand,chiang rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 06:40:44 PM »
Cinnamon Verum grown in Thailand has more than  trippled in size in a year
Gets watered and fertilized regularly
Seems to grow fast here