Author Topic: Achachairu Growing Information Please  (Read 8145 times)

Robnelms

• USA, CA, LA, 10
    • View Profile
    • Radiant Portraiture Photography
Achachairu Growing Information Please
« on: August 19, 2018, 03:58:16 PM »
Hello.  I'm looking all over the internet, but I think I'd rather just ask someone who's grown one.  I have one in the kitchen window, but I can't keep it there forever, so I'm wondering what kind of weather they can stand.  We get over 100 and down to 40 here in Los Angeles, CA.  Will they grow in that kind of climate.  I don't want to take it outside and it dies.  It's probably little more than a year old.  Thanks. 

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Achachairu Growing Information Please
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 06:49:32 PM »
I’m growing one in San Diego and I have mine planted outside. I get minor frost every year and the hottest it’s been at my house in the last several years is around 103-105 depending on which weather station you believe.

When the plants are small, they like the shade. They’re more of an understory tree when small. My plant gets some bleaching from sunburn when temps are around 100F.

You should very slowly acclimate your tree to full sun and probably plant it out in the yard next year or after last chance of frost. Good luck with your tree.

Simon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 10:07:20 PM »
Achachairu can take extreme highs, as shown in commercial plantings in Australia, and perhaps can take an occasional frost,  due to its originating from foothills of the Andes mountains. I think what will be hard for this plant is long periods in winter with 50-60F weather, and more importantly low humidity of southern California. If you can give it some protection during winter, and provide it with misters or grow it next to a pond, it should do ok.
Oscar

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 10:10:47 PM »
Simon definitely has weather closer to yours, I live in Florida 9b and had one in a pot for 3 years
and it didn't grow fast. I planted it last year and we were 30F one night and 32F back to back nights and it survived.
It did burn the leaves pretty bad. I guess it was about 3'.  Those low temps were for a few hours only.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 10:30:10 PM »
Achachairu can take extreme highs, as shown in commercial plantings in Australia, and perhaps can take an occasional frost,  due to its originating from foothills of the Andes mountains. I think what will be hard for this plant is long periods in winter with 50-60F weather, and more importantly low humidity of southern California. If you can give it some protection during winter, and provide it with misters or grow it next to a pond, it should do ok.

Oddly, the cold winter of the East Bay (which is colder than that of SoCal) didn't kill my Achachairu plants, or other closely related Garcinias (including Mexican Garcinia).  I had them on my rooftop garden and while it didn't go below 39F it was rarely over 60F for probably 3 months, and that included plenty of cold rain and wind.  They weren't happy but other than going yellow, they made it.  It took them a long time to recover after the winter was over, though.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 11:02:19 PM »

Oddly, the cold winter of the East Bay (which is colder than that of SoCal) didn't kill my Achachairu plants, or other closely related Garcinias (including Mexican Garcinia).  I had them on my rooftop garden and while it didn't go below 39F it was rarely over 60F for probably 3 months, and that included plenty of cold rain and wind.  They weren't happy but other than going yellow, they made it.  It took them a long time to recover after the winter was over, though.

My tree has very green leaves now but it isn't growing much. It will be interesting to see if
these trees fruit or just survive extreme conditions

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 12:23:53 AM »

They do grow well here. One of the members here named 'JF' is successfully growing them in the ground (maybe 5 years?), outdoors in La Habra, CA. (Photo was taken june 2017)

I have a few achachas. One in-ground & few in pots. I have a harsher temps than JF & they do take 122f & 28f temps. Howver, to be safe, it is best to protect them on their juvenile stage.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 01:49:23 AM »

Great to hear they are so hardy. Have any of yours fruited? Has anyone in California fruited achachairu?
Oscar

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 10:47:21 AM »

Great to hear they are so hardy. Have any of yours fruited? Has anyone in California fruited achachairu?

Mine are nowhere near fruiting -- they are still very small and in containers, and I finally will plant them in a few months.

Maybe Mark Lee is getting close?

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 11:10:32 AM »
I over wintered mine in the bucket and planted in spring

Took longer than mango to leaf out afterwards

Planted in shade with direct morning light

The shade should give it some cold protection also

Robnelms

• USA, CA, LA, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 02:32:58 PM »
Thank you everyone for all your replies!! This helps a lot.  I have a greenhouse, so I'm sure that will help to.  It's just it gets cold in my greenhouse during winter. I'm not afraid to take it out of the kitchen window now though.  Thanks again. 

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 02:34:54 PM »

They do grow well here. One of the members here named 'JF' is successfully growing them in the ground (maybe 5 years?), outdoors in La Habra, CA. (Photo was taken june 2017)

I have a few achachas. One in-ground & few in pots. I have a harsher temps than JF & they do take 122f & 28f temps. Howver, to be safe, it is best to protect them on their juvenile stage.

122F?? What is your zip code? There are no such tempratures in livable parts of Southern California,  unless we are talking areas such as Coachella Valley,  El Centro and the likes...Even there it's once in a decade event.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 03:54:37 PM »

This occured july 6, 2018 during our heatwave.
We had 110f plus for a span of 3 weeks that time.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 04:29:07 PM »
It's hard to believe that such temperature occurred so close to the ocean. But since I don't have anymore info, I'll leave it there.
Actually I was there during heat wave.  My car showed outside temperature 116 near Palm Springs, and 109 in Orange county.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 05:17:35 PM »
It's hard to believe that such temperature occurred so close to the ocean. But since I don't have anymore info, I'll leave it there.
Actually I was there during heat wave.  My car showed outside temperature 116 near Palm Springs, and 109 in Orange county.

I live in San Fernando Valley, 30 mins away from downtown LA & This occured while I was on my trip in the Philippines, my accurite weather station ticked-in to 122f. That time, I also communicated with my neighbor, his car temp ticked in to 121f. Luckily,  no plants were hurt xcpt mango fruits that dropped & 20 gallon lychee that died.

I guess all the hardwork infusing of beneficial microbes did help as well as my achachas.

hungplu

• OC CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 06:10:32 PM »
Has anyone tried this fruit? Online shows it's sweet and sour, some said it tastes close to mangosteen.
I'm looking to buy a tree, not sure if it's worth to plant cause I'm running out of space. Any recommendation on the local nurseries carry this tree in Orange County,CA? Thanks
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 06:13:51 PM by hungplu »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 01:11:28 AM »
Has anyone tried this fruit? Online shows it's sweet and sour, some said it tastes close to mangosteen.
I'm looking to buy a tree, not sure if it's worth to plant cause I'm running out of space. Any recommendation on the local nurseries carry this tree in Orange County,CA? Thanks
Can be a really excellent fruit. Doesn't taste anything like mangosteen. Actually i like the achachairu better than mangosteen. I didn't use to be so crazy about them, but seems like the tree produced much better quality fruits as it got older. Or maybe it was just the fert it got that year?
Oscar

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 08:25:17 AM »

Can be a really excellent fruit. Doesn't taste anything like mangosteen. Actually i like the achachairu better than mangosteen. I didn't use to be so crazy about them, but seems like the tree produced much better quality fruits as it got older. Or maybe it was just the fert it got that year?

Then a good question might be which fert it got that year? I have a long way yet to taste mine from the seeds you sent me one year ago (still some of them are sprouting after 12 months in the pot, not winter protection), but any info is useful regarding how to improve taste of our fruit. :)

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 08:54:57 AM »
Taste has sweet and sour components that is pretty darn good

Still prefer mango by far

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 08:56:30 AM by WGphil »

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 03:15:47 PM »
Those look near rotten

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 03:36:14 PM »
They will also get external damage if refrigerated. The shell is not as robust as purple mangosteen so you still have to be a little careful with them.

Rob

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2018, 04:49:46 PM »
The taste has been great so far but these are the last of them

We put some in the fridge to judge any changes in taste and they have similar to the ones that didn’t but skin did look worse and bigger percent of  bad ones

On the bright side auchacharu seedlings coming soon

Robnelms

• USA, CA, LA, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2018, 08:25:41 PM »
I know I'm changing the subject, but what about growing an Igna edilus?  I had several and most just died.  I have some in my room on a heat pad and they seem like they're trying to grow, but not all that well.  It says zones 9-11 on the internet, but I'm afraid to take them outside.  Any ideas?

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2018, 11:09:30 PM »
I know I'm changing the subject, but what about growing an Igna edilus?  I had several and most just died.  I have some in my room on a heat pad and they seem like they're trying to grow, but not all that well.  It says zones 9-11 on the internet, but I'm afraid to take them outside.  Any ideas?

Thread jacking your own thread? Bold move sir! ... :)

I have had no problem spouting Inga (edulis, spectabilis, feuielli, vera). Direct sow into ground or pots in summer and they grow like crazy. My problem is keeping them alive through the winter. I have had several (including a 5 ft spectabilis seedling) die from my 9b winter.
- Mark

Robnelms

• USA, CA, LA, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2018, 02:35:47 AM »

Thread jacking your own thread? Bold move sir! ... :)

I have had no problem spouting Inga (edulis, spectabilis, feuielli, vera). Direct sow into ground or pots in summer and they grow like crazy. My problem is keeping them alive through the winter. I have had several (including a 5 ft spectabilis seedling) die from my 9b winter.

Thanks  :)