Author Topic: Small lot seed permit protocol  (Read 1729 times)

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
Small lot seed permit protocol
« on: April 07, 2019, 04:42:09 AM »
Hi everyone! I’m trying to figure out exactly what are the steps to import some seeds in to the USA as figuring out the steps off the aphis website is kinda confusing. I figured somebody on this forum does it so I just wanted some tips as to what I should do or have the shippers do. Thanks again!

Kyle
The best time to plant a fruit tree was 20 years ago. The next best time to plant one is now.
Follow me on Instagram: newjunglehawaii

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Small lot seed permit protocol
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 02:15:05 PM »
Not trying to show you a lack of aloha here, but if you do a search in the above search box, enter "small lots seed" and search with google, you should find a ton of hits.  This topic has seen a LOT of previous discussion.

John

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 03:16:11 PM »
Despite all the previous discussion about this, I don't blame anyone for being confused even after reading it all. Much bad advice in previous threads. I just ordered seeds from someone who supposedly was experienced with the APHIS protocol and still they put the labels inside the box!

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 12:19:47 AM »
Not trying to show you a lack of aloha here, but if you do a search in the above search box, enter "small lots seed" and search with google, you should find a ton of hits.  This topic has seen a LOT of previous discussion.

John

No worries. Slowly weeding through the threads and figuring it out. Man you’d think there would be a checklist of some sort on the aphis site. Maybe there is and I just keep missing it. I find a lot of the links just take you back to the same pages.
The best time to plant a fruit tree was 20 years ago. The next best time to plant one is now.

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 12:21:47 AM »
Despite all the previous discussion about this, I don't blame anyone for being confused even after reading it all. Much bad advice in previous threads. I just ordered seeds from someone who supposedly was experienced with the APHIS protocol and still they put the labels inside the box!

Thanks! I’ve been noticing that too.. hopefully i can get it sorted. I need more plants lol!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 02:47:53 AM »
If you ask more specific questions i will try to answer them.
Oscar

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 03:16:54 AM »

Thanks so much! I guess the things I want to know is
1. can I email the shipper the green and yellow labels to place on the shipment?
2. How do I pay or how has everyone been setting up the shipping from Aphis to me?
3. The things that must be included in the shipment envelop.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the late response! Was busy with work.

Kyle

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 05:41:56 AM »

1. can I email the shipper the green and yellow labels to place on the shipment?
2. How do I pay or how has everyone been setting up the shipping from Aphis to me?

Kyle

Yes you can email it to them. Just make sure they print it in color and in same size as original and use it as address label on your package.

If you are using USPS most APHIS offices will forward for free. Ask your office to make sure as it seems to vary. If you are using FedEx, UPS or other private courier, then you need to have an account with them so that APHIS can charge it to your account.

Your import permit. A list of the seeds included, preferably in alphabeltical order by latin names. An invoice. Place of origin of all the seeds, and the name of the collector. All these things are carefully spelled out in your import permit. Take the time to read it carefully.
Oscar

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 01:16:48 AM »

Kyle

Yes you can email it to them. Just make sure they print it in color and in same size as original and use it as address label on your package.

If you are using USPS most APHIS offices will forward for free. Ask your office to make sure as it seems to vary. If you are using FedEx, UPS or other private courier, then you need to have an account with them so that APHIS can charge it to your account.

Your import permit. A list of the seeds included, preferably in alphabeltical order by latin names. An invoice. Place of origin of all the seeds, and the name of the collector. All these things are carefully spelled out in your import permit. Take the time to read it carefully.

Got it! Thanks so much for taking the time to clear that up! It is a HUGE help! Btw all the inga seeds you sent germinated! Thanks again!

Kyle

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 01:24:26 AM »

Kyle

Got it! Thanks so much for taking the time to clear that up! It is a HUGE help! Btw all the inga seeds you sent germinated! Thanks again!

Kyle
Welcome. Forgot to point out one important detail, the green and yellow labels are numbered, and you can use each number on only one package. Make sure your shipped does not reuse same number on different packages.
Oscar