Poll

Which is the better (tastier) mango?

Mallika
17 (56.7%)
Nam Doc Mai
13 (43.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Nam Doc Mai or Mallika  (Read 14095 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Nam Doc Mai or Mallika
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 07:02:05 PM »
I got my used, in new condition copy on ebay a few years ago for 10.00, so I would check Ebay every so often.

You can get it on eBay right now at the buy it now price of $70

For that price I might just put my copy up for sale on ebay.

Or trade it in for 2 of the latest and the greatest mango trees~  :D
Oscar

mangologist

• Capt Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 09:27:04 AM »
I see this topic is dated.  But here's my 2 cents.  I have several mango trees, some Fl Varieties, some SE Asia varieties, and an excellent seed grown.  None of my mango trees are from India.  They just don't seem to thrive in my area (S Brevard Co).  The NDM #4, today's preferred cultivar, does well most everywhere it's warm enough.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2013, 01:24:05 PM »
I may be confused, regarding regular versus irregular producing.  my understanding is that this meant that they alternate between high production and low production one year to the next. as many Indian mango varieties seem to do.

supposedly the technique of double root-stocking   these trees prevents this irregular productivity.  and also dwarfs the tree somewhat.

http://www.dizonexoticfruittrees.com/ref/compara.htm

But I have read that Mallika is not a biennial producer.  so i am guessing its just irregular in Fla. because of Florida's irregular weather.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2013, 04:54:59 PM »
Mallika.  When correctly ripened, it is outstanding. 

It also can/should? Be picked mature green.  Although timing can be a bit tricky, picking a mango green has advantages.  Critters ( 2 and 4 legged) tend to stay away from it, allowing you to have the entire crop to yourself.