Author Topic: Anybody have updates on their multiple rootstock Mango tree?  (Read 9429 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Anybody have updates on their multiple rootstock Mango tree?
« on: October 16, 2014, 11:07:59 AM »
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone has updates on their multiple rootstock mango tree? My multiple rootstock Maha Chanok was growing fine but the second rootstock died after 1 year. There was good healing but my grafting cuts were horrible and in hindsite, both rootstocks I used were much too mature and this is what I'm attributing my failure to.

I feel that multiple rootstock Mango trees are under utilized, especially here in California were Mangos don't grow as fast as in areas like Florida. The benefits of multiple rootstocks are reported to be increased precosity, increased growth but with dwarfing effect on size, inhibition of alternate bearing, increased yield, possible increased disease resistance and for those that live in hurricane prone areas, I would assume multiple rootstocks have better resistance to high winds and uprooting of trees.

I know that there are several people out there with multiple rootstock trees and I was wondering how they are doing? Do you notice a difference in growth rate or a difference in the structure of the tree? Are any of your trees bearing yet? Please feel free to post anything relating to multiple rootstock technology including pictures, techniques, links. Thanks in advance!

Simon

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody have updates on their multiple rootstock Mango tree?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 12:17:58 PM »
Simon,
You mentioned that you attribute the death of the second rootstock to age. How thick were the rootstocks when you first grafted them compared to the manila seedlings sold at HD?  I am thinking about doing multiple rootstocks using HD manila seedlings onto my mallika and a recently grafted Maha Chanok.  My mango growing experience is very limited but I heard these two are very slow growing trees.  Max is a big fan of multiple rootstocks – maybe he can chime in.  I’ve seen his multi rootstock longan and citrus trees but I am not sure if he has multi rootstock mangos.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 12:48:56 PM »
Both trees were green on the verge of turning brown. My other mistake was that I did not cut deep deep enough. I forget exactly but my memory recalls that the cuts should be approximately 1/4 to 1/3 the width of the trunks.
Simon

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 01:01:18 PM »
I didn't try with mangos, but I did an approach graft with 2 cherimoyas which isn't doing too well. I think I tied them together too tight, and left the ties on too long. I also didn't cut deep enough. I think the thing to do is to be bold when you cut, but a little mellow when you tie the trees together.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 07:24:36 PM »
There are several members of this forum that are extremely skilled grafters.  I believe most the successes I've seen have come from adding rootstocks that were very young.  I was hoping there was somebody from SoCal that has a multiple rootstock mango.

I have several seedlings growing really well right now, just seeds from various mangos I've eaten and scattered around my yard.  I will be digging them up shortly to begin another round of multiple rootstock grafting.  I am going to try to add 1 manilla and one Kent/Haden/Keitt.  I will probably use a LZ scion for the top unless I can find a variety that I like more, which I have not yet found:)

Simon

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 07:47:36 PM »
Simon, do the seedlings tolerate transplant well? I have a bunch of seedlings in my yard too, but am waiting till next spring to dig them up.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 11:26:55 PM »
I'm also very interested in whether multiple rootstock Mangos help productivity in California, especially in marginal climates for Mangos like mine.

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 12:06:10 AM »
I have 3 multi-rootstock mangoes (9 months - 14 months old); all are growing well and much faster than single-rootstock mangoes, but none are to fruiting size yet.  The first multi-rootstock mango I grafted (Pickering on top) about 2 years ago was given away and I don't know if it is still alive or not.

Kevin

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 01:27:01 AM »
Simon,

I have a few doing good. I have Zebda with a Paul Thompson variety in the ground, a Glenn, Thompson and unknown Thai shaped variety in a 15 gallon. So far I have only had fruit from the Zebda which is the most precocious variety I have ever grafted, in one year it put out a few limbs each a few feet long.

TheULTIMATE

• Philippines Metro Manila NCR
    • View Profile
    • tropicalfruitforum.com
Re:Anybody have updates on their multiple rootstock Mango tree?
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 06:51:00 AM »
Hey Everyone Did You Know how many months or day the grafted mango heal.

because i have grafted mango. :)

Thanks. :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 10:54:06 AM by TheULTIMATE »

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 12:29:05 AM »
I have a specific question about multi-rootstock Mangos when using polyembryonic seeds.  Suppose you took a Manila and grew it from seed, direct sown.  It might produce two seedlings, one true Manila and one not.  If you were to then approach graft the other seedling, and after the graft healed cut off the top of that seedling, would that effectively give you a Manila with two (different) rootstocks?  Is there any disadvantage to this approach to multi-rootstocking a Mango?

And if the second rootstock ends up dying say from root rot, does that hurt the main trunk or the other rootstock?

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 02:12:09 AM »
Update on my double rootstock Alphonso mango tree. I planted in the ground a few weeks ago. The rootstocks were from store bought mangos which I inacrched together first. The rootstocks were at least a year old before I grafted the alphonso scion onto it. I think I grafted the alphonso around August 2013. This little guy should take off pretty quickly. Im planning on hitting it with some nitrogen then cutting off the bloom instead of waiting for fruitlets to set. Hopefully, no second bloom.

Here it is now

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:27:25 AM by fruit4me »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 01:16:08 PM »
Hey fruitforme,

Your tree looks great and growing strong. Do you have a picture of the section where you innarched? I would like to know how long and deep your cuts were and also how high up you in arched.  Thanks,

Simon

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 06:00:44 PM »
Simon

Here is a picture of the inarched graft union. This was done at the early green stage. The union on the scion is also visible. It has healed in beautifully.

Here are pictures of Mahachanok on single rootstock for comparison. It's the same age. No big difference so far. Should of had the maha on double rootstock. Wasn't thinking of the time.

Max

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 06:33:03 PM »
Hey Max, that graft is beautiful! I added an additional Manilla rootstock onto my Maha Chanok several years ago and the graft initially took but then died after about one year. Thanks for the pictures! You just inspired me to plant many seeds this year so I can perform many many multiple rootstock grafts.

Simon

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 10:22:18 PM »
Hello Max,

I'm interested to learn your grafting technique. So you planted two seeds next to each other for the double root stock. How old were the seedlings when you inarched  them together? what diameter of the root stock when grafting alphonol scion to it, and in what month? I'm in Burbank so your technique is great for me.

Brian

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 12:19:30 AM »
Hello Max,

I'm interested to learn your grafting technique. So you planted two seeds next to each other for the double root stock. How old were the seedlings when you inarched  them together? what diameter of the root stock when grafting alphonol scion to it, and in what month? I'm in Burbank so your technique is great for me.

Brian

I read about this technique but haven't tested it yet.

You take some different mangoseeds and plant them next to eachother in a pot. When they sprout you tie them against eachother and just let them grow. After a while the stems have been fused if all goes well.

I'm trying it right now but i cut the bark of them a little so they make good contact.

i used poly-seeds and tied all the sprouts up.

darkcoolboo

• Tucson, AZ - USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 01:35:35 AM »
What types of stor  bought mango was the rootstock? Was it Tommy Atkin or manila?

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 02:20:11 AM »
Hello Max,

Brian
Hi Brian, I inarched the two seedlings when they are close to the size of a pencil. Then I graft the scion on the stronger seedling and wait for scion to push out and completely harden off 1st flush of leaves. I do not decapitate the other seedling yet, just incase my scion fails, I still have the other seedling to graft onto. Inarching can be done any time of year. Grafting the the alphonso scion was done around August. Some pictures of a lemon zest I did in last August. I have not remove any of the tie tape yet.

Darkcoolboo
I don't know what type of seedling I used for the alphonso. It could be any variety available out in the markets kents, kietts, manilas . Theses are the main types I buy.

Max

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »
Hey Max, how deep did you make your cuts? Also, how long were your cuts? I mean, how much contact do the seedlings have? About 2-3 inches? Thanks

Simon

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 09:47:51 PM »
Simon
The cut's are not very deep, just enough to expose the hard wood. 2 inches in length is good enough. As long as both the seedlings have contact on their open wounds , it will stick together. I usually leave the tie tape on for a really time to ensure complete fusion. No need to worry about choking the tree. But for the scion part of the graft, I remove tape after second flush has harden off.

Max
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:53:06 PM by fruit4me »

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 12:08:32 PM »
Hey Max, that graft is beautiful! I added an additional Manilla rootstock onto my Maha Chanok several years ago and the graft initially took but then died after about one year. Thanks for the pictures! You just inspired me to plant many seeds this year so I can perform many many multiple rootstock grafts.

Simon

Hi Simon,
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate result of your graft after it took initially. When you added that Manila rootstock to your Maha Chanok, did you in arched the Manila to the rootstock part of Maha Chanok or to the scion part; or it doesn't make any difference?

This multiple rootstock posts really interest me too-after reading the long list of benefits as stated at Dizon's website-, so hopefully I will get myself involved with this soon...
Sam

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 12:21:09 AM »
Hello Sam, when I innarched my Maha, I grafted the Manilla onto the Maha and not the rootstock if I remember correctly. I purchased my Maha from Plantogram and I believe it was a fairly low graft. If you are going to try this multiple rootstock grafting, I would recommend a low graft so that you will have less chance of getting sprouts from either of your rootstocks and you will have less less stress on your tree compared to if you performed a high graft that left a big gap between the two rootstocks.

This year, I'm going to try using about 1 foot tall green seedlings.

Simon

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 12:06:12 AM »
Ok Simon, advice well taken, low graft; thanks!

Seems to me that it's easier to do multirootstocking from "scratch": using 2 (or more) seedlings -like fruit4me did above- than to do "add on"; where the existing tree and the new seedling are not at the same age.

However, I buried one or 2 mango seeds next to my manilas, also a seed or two next to my avocado tree, we'll see... :)
Sam

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 09:00:37 PM »
Ok Simon, advice well taken, low graft; thanks!

Seems to me that it's easier to do multirootstocking from "scratch": using 2 (or more) seedlings -like fruit4me did above- than to do "add on"; where the existing tree and the new seedling are not at the same age.

However, I buried one or 2 mango seeds next to my manilas, also a seed or two next to my avocado tree, we'll see... :)

Yup, that's exactly what I'm going to do. Use two or more seedlings like fruit forme.  I'll try to post some pics of my next attempts.

Simon