Author Topic: First tasting of Soursop, my opinion: AMAZING!!!  (Read 4103 times)

AnnonAddict

• Growing too many things at once
    • Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
First tasting of Soursop, my opinion: AMAZING!!!
« on: January 24, 2014, 07:29:13 PM »

Wow! What a great experience, the flavor was amazing! It was nothing like Cherimoya, it was kind of like Banana with tart citrus overtones and a little bit of guava! The only thing I would like to change about it would be the texture, it was like a very grainy Cherimoya… every seed inside was viable… I cut open a few that looked suspicious but it was white on the inside meaning it was still viable.

Please post your opinion on Soursop,

Thanks...
Jackson

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: First tasting of Soursop, my opinion: AMAZING!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 07:32:16 PM »
Forgot to add picture of the outside…

Jackson

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 07:43:11 PM »
Nice little Guanabana..

Love Guanabanas !, the make awesome smoothies and there very healthy too !.
Enjoy & plant those seeds ..

Ed..
Zone 10

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 07:49:13 PM »
I love this fruit...even the sour types for juicing.

reminds me of mountain dew flavor...this is one I fruited in a 25 gal pot a few winters ago...it was the only fruit my tree made, and it weighed 2.5 lbs.

It took me about 6 yrs to fruit it from seed....and it got exposed to very low temps right before the fruit ripened...as you can see in the pic, my tree was defoliated even though it was in a greenhouse (unheated)...I just barely got this one to ripen...but man it was worth it!

partially defoliated tree with guanabana hanging, hidden by some leaves.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 08:34:17 PM »
Jack,

Where did you get your soursop?
James

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 10:02:37 PM »

Wow! What a great experience, the flavor was amazing! It was nothing like Cherimoya, it was kind of like Banana with tart citrus overtones and a little bit of guava! The only thing I would like to change about it would be the texture, it was like a very grainy Cherimoya… every seed inside was viable… I cut open a few that looked suspicious but it was white on the inside meaning it was still viable.

Thanks...

FYI there are fiberless types of soursop which have a texture very similar to cherimoya.
Oscar

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 01:13:05 AM »
Jack,

Where did you get your soursop?
That my friend is a secret... I do not reveal my source unless I get permission from him.
I love this fruit...even the sour types for juicing.

reminds me of mountain dew flavor...this is one I fruited in a 25 gal pot a few winters ago...it was the only fruit my tree made, and it weighed 2.5 lbs.

It took me about 6 yrs to fruit it from seed....and it got exposed to very low temps right before the fruit ripened...as you can see in the pic, my tree was defoliated even though it was in a greenhouse (unheated)...I just barely got this one to ripen...but man it was worth it!

partially defoliated tree with guanabana hanging, hidden by some leaves.

Adam, I completely agree with the mountain dew statement of this tree, flavor is AMAZING!
Nice little Guanabana..

Love Guanabanas !, the make awesome smoothies and there very healthy too !.
Enjoy & plant those seeds ..

Ed..
Hi Ed,

Glad to hear all good things about this fruit... I am planning to soak the seeds in Gibberellic Acid... does anyone have a reccomondation of the amount in ppms?

Thanks...

FYI there are fiberless types of soursop which have a texture very similar to cherimoya.
Hello Oscar

I have read about the "Whitman Fiberless" Soursop and look forward to tasting it sometime in the future if I visit Miami. The texture of Cherimoya I enjoy but the flavor gets boring after eating them so much, I swear, I have had about at least one Cherimoya every week for the past three months... I've got a problem.

Thanks everyone for posting, I look forward to hearing more people's reviews on this wonderful fruit...
Jackson

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 02:02:19 AM »

It is enough to drive a man to drink.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 02:55:34 AM »

Glad to hear all good things about this fruit... I am planning to soak the seeds in Gibberellic Acid... does anyone have a reccomondation of the amount in ppms

I think, there is no reason to use Gibberellic Acid on muricata seeds,  same behavior like cherimola seeds.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 03:27:26 AM »
They germinate very easily. At the risk of repeating what has been said in previous threads the common Cuban fibreless has plenty of fiber and the Whitman doesn't but it has poor productivity and people have said the flavour is not outstanding.A promising seedling of Whitman is being looked at in Queensland.
For the hard core soursop enthusiast seeking the finest cultivars it seems 3 may well be elite.They are Lisa from Brazil which is commercial,morado from brazil and Colombia which is also commercial and the specially bred African one best called arusha. Seeds of these 3 came to me and I gave the seedlings away but did plant a liasa and arusha.On reflection I should have made room for morado because 10kg fruit would really be something.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 03:49:46 AM »
They germinate very easily. At the risk of repeating what has been said in previous threads the common Cuban fibreless has plenty of fiber and the Whitman doesn't but it has poor productivity and people have said the flavour is not outstanding.A promising seedling of Whitman is being looked at in Queensland.
For the hard core soursop enthusiast seeking the finest cultivars it seems 3 may well be elite.They are Lisa from Brazil which is commercial,morado from brazil and Colombia which is also commercial and the specially bred African one best called arusha. Seeds of these 3 came to me and I gave the seedlings away but did plant a liasa and arusha.On reflection I should have made room for morado because 10kg fruit would really be something.

Well Mike you got one out of two right. The Whitman fibreless has poor productivity that is right, but the flavor is outstanding. It obviously needs some breeding work just to get productivity up. Doesn't need any tinkering with flavor, which is superb!
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 04:17:35 AM »
Quick on the draw Oscar and it is all coming back to me now. I remembered a single reference that said Whitman's isn't that good and forgot about all the accounts that say they are great. Whitman's soursop didn't go commercial here due to productivity issues. I should chase up this productive seedling in a backyard as there were moves afoot to graft it. A farmer here also collected a good quality soursop that is small and productive in Panama or was that Guatemala?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 05:12:36 AM »
Quick on the draw Oscar and it is all coming back to me now. I remembered a single reference that said Whitman's isn't that good and forgot about all the accounts that say they are great. Whitman's soursop didn't go commercial here due to productivity issues. I should chase up this productive seedling in a backyard as there were moves afoot to graft it. A farmer here also collected a good quality soursop that is small and productive in Panama or was that Guatemala?

I was stunned when i first tasted the Whitman fibreless because i had also heard it wasn't that great. In my opinion it rivals some of the better cherimoyas in quality. I think this is definitely a fruit that is still in its marketing infancy and could be geared up to be a top notch commercial fruit if much more breeding effort was put into it.
Oscar

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 08:07:22 AM »
Whitman Fibreless also known as the Whitman Fruitless! It is a lousy producer here in Florida but there are prolific good tasting ones out there. Much more work needs to be done in finding these top notch Guanabanas and getting them in the hands of Forum members.
FloridaGreenMan

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 08:27:11 AM »
Im still working on importing the Guanabana Gigante De Colombia from my Mother inlay.

She has several hundred for me , but the S&H folks told her they cant be shipped..

Ed..
Zone 10