Author Topic: Experiences growing Garcinia intermedia  (Read 937 times)

CitrusFanatic

• NorCal
    • View Profile
Experiences growing Garcinia intermedia
« on: June 22, 2020, 07:05:04 PM »
Let's start a thread on Garcinia intermedia. Post photos with things like age, time to fruit, drought tolerance, taste, etc.... Just your general experience with the plant and fruit. I'll start with mine:

This is a seedling that I got fairly recently. While transplanting it, I noticed that it had a much stronger and larger taproot than any of my other Garcinias, and I cut off the bottom of its pot and fastened that to a larger one.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Experiences growing Garcinia intermedia
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 08:54:01 PM »
Garcinia intermedia, lemon drop, is a nice little fruit that has an edible skin.  On my farm it almost always has some fruit, flowering at the same time that ripe fruit can be picked.  It doesn’t take up much space and will tolerate some shade.  It’s a pretty little tree that can do well in a container.  I think that it is something good to have around for children too.
Peter

miked

• Palm Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 09:01:06 PM »
I really like these fruits. I think they have a taste similar to lemonade. When they are still yellow they have a thinner skin that is more edible. Once they turn orange the skin becomes more thick and I don’t like eating it. I have a container tree That is 4 or 5 years old. I’m still waiting for it to fruit

I have a bunch of lemon drops in one and three gallon containers. They have been through a lot of neglect and lasted long times without water. I keep some 3 gallon containers in a corner of my yard that regulalry floods in the summer and they are fine too. I keep some one gallons in full sun. They don’t seem to like it very much but aren’t dying either.

My estimation is once they’re decently established (over a year) they can handle a lot. I have Also tried the improved brasilensis lemon drop too. They have a pointed bottom and are smaller. The fruits taste sweeeter than the round ones.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 05:31:11 PM »
I like the fruit a lot. Sweet with a kick of sour, and something else. Juicy too.

Barely any flesh on the fruit, and large seed for fruit size.

Not a very productive tree ime, and not much to the fruits, but good to have around.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk