Author Topic: Get The Scoop On The Best & Worst Juices Four Health  (Read 2339 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Get The Scoop On The Best & Worst Juices Four Health
« on: July 09, 2014, 03:21:10 PM »
While nutritionists recommend eating whole fruits for the fiber and added nutritional benefits you get from the flesh and pulp (and because juices may have more sugar than the fruits themselves) certain juices can offer real health benefits.

Now, get the juicy facts about these sweet nectars of Mother Nature — before you pick your next bottle off the shelf!

# 1 Best Juice Pick: Vegetable Juice
Do your body a favor and enjoy a glass of vegetable juice. Veggie juices are friendlier to your waistline than typical fruit juices since they're lower in sugar and calories. Plus, they're loaded with important plant-based nutrients good for your health. Lycopene, the powerful antioxidant that gives tomato juice its red color, may help lower the risk of prostate cancer. Beet juice may help reduce blood pressure.

2nd Best Pick: Pomegranate Juice
A rich dose of antioxidants make this ruby-red beverage a jewel among juices. The nutrients in pomegranates may help protect brain function and fend off cancer. Plus, studies suggest pomegranate juice may even help prevent the buildup of fatty deposits in the carotid arteries in your neck.

Other Good Choices
Cranberry Juice — Loaded with vitamin C and other powerful antioxidants, cranberry juice may help prevent cardiovascular disease, stomach ulcers and cancer. Drinking just 10 ounces a day of unsweetened cranberry juice may also help reduce your risk of urinary tract infections.

Blueberry Juice — In one 12-week study, adults in their 70s with age-related memory decline experienced significant improvement in learning and memory tests after drinking two and a half cups of blueberry juice each day. So enjoy a glass or two of this blue wonder juice daily, and help boost your brain health and keep your memory sharp.

Acai Berry Juice — Native to South America, the acai berry holds promise as a juice superhero. While more research is yet to be done, early studies indicate the high concentration of antioxidants in the acai berry's pulp may surpass amounts found in cranberries, blackberries, strawberries and blueberries.

Cherry Juice — Not just the darling of fruit pies and turnovers, cherries are also the sweetheart of juices. Cherry juice delivers an abundant serving of antioxidants along with a side of anti-inflammatory benefits. One study suggests drinking a glass of cherry juice before and after a workout can actually help you reduce exercise-induced muscle pain.

Red Grape Juice — Like red wine in moderation, red grape juice can be good for your heart. Due to its potent dose of flavonoids and resveratrol, drinking an 8-ounce glass of red grape juice each day can help keep your immune system strong and healthy.

Prune Juice — Prune juice has long been touted for its ability to help relieve constipation, and for good reason. Not only is it high in fiber, it contains a natural laxative called sorbitol. Plus, with each 8-ounce glass, you get a whopping dose of antioxidants, iron and potassium — essential nutrients for good health.

Orange Juice — While this popular breakfast staple offers fewer antioxidants than some berry and grape juices, orange juice still delivers a healthy dose of vitamin C — good for your immune system. To help save some calories and protect your bone health, too, choose unsweetened orange juice fortified with calcium and vitamin D.

Worst Choice: Juice Cocktails

Avoid beverages labeled "juice cocktail," "juice-flavored beverage" or "juice drink." They're high in calories and low in nutritional value. That's because most contain hefty servings of sugar and small amounts of real juice. Instead, choose unsweetened juices labeled "100% fruit juice."

Fruits and vegetables are an essential part of any diet. While no juices can completely replace everything you get from eating whole produce, the right ones can provide many of the essentials you need to stay healthy and active
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 03:22:59 PM by Millet »

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Get The Scoop On The Best & Worst Juices Four Health
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 03:59:35 PM »
Be careful to read labels.  Minute Maid (Coca Cola) Pomegranate Juice blend contains less than 1% pomegranate juice.  It is 99% grape and apple juice.

Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 05:51:13 PM »
Be careful to read labels.  Minute Maid (Coca Cola) Pomegranate Juice blend contains less than 1% pomegranate juice.  It is 99% grape and apple juice.

I've been thinking about buying a masticating juicer for things such as pomegranites (I have the cultivar 'wonderful'). Supposedly these kinds of juicers are better because they extract some of the nutrients from the seeds.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 06:24:38 PM »
I buy Old Orchard brand  100% Pomegranate juice, no sugar added, no artificial colors flavors or preservatives.  It comes in a 64-ounce bottle  for $6.95.   I also have a Wonderful Pomegranate tree which we put the fruit through the juicer.   Last year we even made Pomegranate jelly. - Millet

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 06:36:18 PM »
I buy Old Orchard brand  100% Pomegranate juice, no sugar added, no artificial colors flavors or preservatives.  It comes in a 64-ounce bottle  for $6.95.   I also have a Wonderful Pomegranate tree which we put the fruit through the juicer.   Last year we even made Pomegranate jelly. - Millet

Apparently it makes really good candy too. I was told this buy the lady who runs red fox pitaya here in Australia, she makes candy and jelly out if opuntia (prickly pear) syrups.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 11:19:45 PM »

I always amazes me how little Americans pay for fresh food and produce.

Last year, peaches were selling in stores for 5$ each here in Australia. Cherries are in excess of 20$ kg every year.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:00:00 AM by Millet »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 12:30:03 PM »
Celery juice is #1 and what I make usually. Add some apple and ginger root

• it is the green version of carrot
  • same vegetable family --
    The Apiaceae (or Umbelliferae), commonly known as the celery, carrot or parsley family], are a family of mostly aromatic plants with hollow stems........
  • ----
  • ----
  • Max Gerson cured cancer w carrot juice plus other things
  • celery-commonly available and relatively inexpensive
  • I use a Brevill 95xl juicer and a homemade press to press the remainming juice out of the pulp.
  • I do have low RPM juicer Green Star but am favoring Brevill right now
  • Juice your watermelon rinds!! Don't chuck them. It is like cucumber juice. This juice is also good as mixer for alcohol
  • I am eating so many mangoes I am not juicing these days. Mangoes cost me zero 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk