Author Topic: Deer suck  (Read 1327 times)

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Deer suck
« on: June 21, 2020, 12:25:21 PM »
The fence is repaired for the first time in many years. The deer still came, jumping over the fence just as the beans started to flower heavily. Unlike squirrels and smaller pests, I cannot catch/shoot them. For now, the tomatoes and cucumbers are left alone. Of course, the tomatoes and cucumbers aren’t growing anyway, but still. And this is the first year I am actually weeding/taking care of the garden. Seems everything’s against me: first the weather, then the weather again, then bad seeds, and now deer.

This video I filmed yesterday shows the extent of the damage. Perhaps make yourself feel better about your own deer problems: you are not alone.

And please subscribe to my channel to make me feel better about my ruined garden. :)

https://youtu.be/4doQk1O_YgM

-Tomek

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Deer suck
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 02:29:52 PM »
I hate deer, but the squirrels make me rage.

TomekK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 02:42:08 PM »
At least one can get rid of squirrels. I have a natural deterrent: a family of foxes living nearby. They don’t get the chipmunks, though. And the deer are still uncontrollable.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 04:40:02 PM »
I deter deer and rabbits from eating my plants by spraying the plants with a solution of three eggs to a gallon of water. You put the eggs in a blender with some tobasco sauce if you want a little extra kick, and dump it in your pump sprayer with gallon of water and spray on plants in spring when first showing new growth and this keeps deer and other critters away because they don’t want to eat rotten eggs. The egg solution will stay on plants for a month even with rain. Reapply again if needed. I’ve found that after my spring time spraying, I don’t have to reapply again until Fall. The deer know my yard “stinks” and my plants are “bad”, do they stop coming to eat them. Electric fence helps with bears.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 10:20:19 AM »
Deers really suck a$$. I havent tried it yet, but I know some garderners in my area that swear by using pieces of Irish Spring soap as a deer deterrant. In any case I fence (10' circumference) my young trees to protect em from deers and its been working great thus far.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

oneiromant

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 01:19:36 PM »
I had a raised test-bed for carefully babying unique plants from seeds or cuttings - several uncommon varieties of Goumi, Haskap, & Hardy Kiwi... and other unique things like Bear Garlic & special strawberries like Mara-des-Bois.  One morning, I got up and walked to my test bed to find two big hoof prints where a deer had stood on its hind legs and placed its front legs apart widely in the bed.  All the tops of my plants were gone, and were replaced with a big heap of vomit in the middle of the bed.  I guess the exotic cuisine was too complex for his local taste buds.

Anyway, fast forward and I have a freezer full of deer meat from a bow kill in the back of the yard.  I like to think it's the same one.

TomekK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 08:34:59 PM »
Wish I could do the same here. Unfortunately, this year there will be no bush beans at all. They don’t eat the cucumbers and tomatoes, but those are still way behind schedule due to the terrible spring weather. Next year a fence is coming up around the garden (even though there is already a large fence around the whole property), and will also use other deterrents. Last year I got lucky, this year not so much.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 12:31:55 AM »
I had a major deer problem at my old house.  I noticed that the pesticide Malathion smells terrible even in small doses and lasts a long time.  It seemed to reduce deer browsing significantly, but too hard to be sure because I moved soon after.