Author Topic: David Karp - Fruit detective  (Read 2541 times)

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
David Karp - Fruit detective
« on: March 28, 2015, 11:25:47 PM »
Today at the CRFG Los Angeles chapter meeting, I got to hear pomologist David Karp talk about different citrus and the University of California - Riverside Citrus Variety Collection.

Very interesting! I might have to add some more citrus varieties to my garden.

Here is a link to one of David's articles: Kumquats: Sweet-tarts of the citrus rodeo
http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-45244850/

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: David Karp - Fruit detective
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 11:52:06 PM »
ricshaw, thanks for the excellent article.  I really enjoyed reading it, but then  I enjoy most anything written by David Karp.  Perhaps because David's life history is an astonishing story itself. - Millet

Riverland

• SA, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 08:05:27 AM »
Please share with us his talk with your group. What varieties?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 08:08:11 AM by Riverland »

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 02:19:15 PM »
Please share with us his talk with your group. What varieties?

I did not take notes. :-\  David spoke for over an hour with a PowerPoint slideshow with about 50 varieties of "citrus". 
He started with his favorite; the Daisy SL mandarin.  On the varieties he like...  he would go into great detail on the flavor, texture, smell, etc. and comment; "This is one of my top 5" or "If I had room for 20 trees, I would include this variety". He was not so kind with some of the popular mandarin varieties sold in local markets. I had never heard the term "rag" used before.
The presentation also included many variegated, unusual, rare, and "citrus" varieties that are unique to certain cultures, but not something most CRFG members would be interested in.
He hinted about future "legal" import acquisitions that he was involved in and some current rare varieties being grown and would be available in a couple of years.
I remember near the end he showed a slide of a variety of Buddha's hand citron he called Vietnamese "octopus" which he explained was different than the normal Buddha's hand I had seen pictures of.
For a citrus noob like me, it was very interesting to hear and see pictures of fruit like "Rangpar lime".
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 03:54:19 PM by ricshaw »

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 07:23:10 PM »
Interesting article. I have not heard of the Nordmann variety before so would like to try one. I have a large established meiwa that produces more than I can ever consume.  Frankly, for eating out of hand I like the Nagami or the changshou.  Meiwa is pretty good though.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 11:56:51 AM »
Interesting article. I have not heard of the Nordmann variety before so would like to try one. I have a large established meiwa that produces more than I can ever consume.  Frankly, for eating out of hand I like the Nagami or the changshou.  Meiwa is pretty good though.
Nordman is a seedless nagami. I'm growing one here in Missouri City,TX.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 11:58:50 AM by mrtexas »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk