Author Topic: Can any avocado beat Duke Avocado for cold tolerance ?  (Read 2240 times)

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
Can any avocado beat Duke Avocado for cold tolerance ?
« on: May 11, 2019, 01:02:12 PM »
I have a couple of Duke avocado trees in pots that i plan on planting in high foothills in Fresno county california does anyone know of other kinds best for cold besides the Mexicola or is the Duke the most cold hardy i will find ? Also is 50 percent pumice in pots ideal in pots for avocados? Is anyone growing the black johnson avocado tree or the del ray avocado tree ? Lastly is there any better seeds to use as rootstock in california than the Zutano seeds has anyone tryed to use lula seeds or walden seeds in california ?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 01:12:26 PM by Avoman »

JoeReal

• USA, California, Davis/Woodland/Sacramento, USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
Re: Can any avocado beat Duke Avocado for cold tolerance ?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 03:48:57 PM »
My Aravaipa avocado is showing growth during the winter when the Duke looked miserable but surviviny. My Aravaipa shows some growth during the hottest week of tge summer while Duke is suffering from the heat.

I have both of them grafted on one tree and so the comparison was very fair.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 12:26:58 PM »
Thats very interesting to hear as the duke reported as growing very well in banger, ca which gets fairly cold temps but can also get some high temps in summer, im wondering if the duke just doesnt like the kind of rootstock its on as compared to the other ?

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 10:44:02 AM »
i was in cal last week and i got to see the very large depot duke avocado trees in oroville,ca it appears  they will have a small amount fruit set this year,i estimate the trunk is 4 feet across so they must have been planted many years ago, i now have both strains of dukes, i was also able to get boony doon scions if anyone interested in trading for aravapia scions let me know,i will also have grande negra scions down the road as it looks like my graft is going to take this fruit is kinda like a mexicola but about 2.5 times the fruit size
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 11:18:47 AM by Avoman »

Faldon

• south korea, pusan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 10:50:53 AM »
My Aravaipa avocado is showing growth during the winter when the Duke looked miserable but surviviny. My Aravaipa shows some growth during the hottest week of tge summer while Duke is suffering from the heat.

I have both of them grafted on one tree and so the comparison was very fair.

JoeReal

I have one question. here is MAX -10C during winter.  Any avocado can be lived here?

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 11:29:06 AM »

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 11:32:13 AM »

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 11:42:17 AM »
No minus 10c is too cold. Bangor, ca can get under 20f but prob not that many years, i would guess a duke can handle 10 to 15 degress without killing the tree but that is a large mature tree any small avo tree duke or otherwise i would protect when getting temps 32f or lower.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 01:51:15 PM »
i was in cal last week and i got to see the very large depot duke avocado trees in oroville,ca it appears  they will have a small amount fruit set this year,i estimate the trunk is 4 feet across so they must have been planted many years ago, i now have both strains of dukes, i was also able to get boony doon scions if anyone interested in trading for aravapia scions let me know,i will also have grande negra scions down the road as it looks like my graft is going to take this fruit is kinda like a mexicola but about 2.5 times the fruit size
PM sent

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk