Author Topic: wet weather in so. Fla.  (Read 3260 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
wet weather in so. Fla.
« on: December 09, 2015, 02:24:56 PM »
It's been raining Waaayyy more than normal this fall and early winter. By this time in years past I was watering once a month and I haven't used my well other than to wash off some scale on my caimito and hose down the patio.

I'm worried about fruit production this coming year, especially on my lychees, I was hoping for a first crop but I heard that winter dry stress is good for them. Also mango are likely to be impacted?

Is anyone else in So. Fla. concerned for other fruits?
Regards,

Gary

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: wet weather in so. Fla.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 02:54:28 PM »
My loquats are flowering but don't seem to be setting fruit or even flowers opening consistently (at least compared to last year).  I suspect it is due to so much wet weather
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 05:49:02 PM »
My lawn could have used this rain in the summer which is normal time. Now I have to re-sod some places. But I like the rain and gloom this time of year. Makes South Florida seem more wintry in a Northern way just in time for Christmas.
Last I heard South Florida gets a rainy winter due to El Nino

Blame El Niño for South Florida’s soggy winter
Strong El Niño could increase risk of tornadoes
Record-breaking rain linked to stalled front
El Niño forecast to last through spring

Has El Niño unleashed its forewarned fury on South Florida or are we just get hammered by fluke winter rain?

The answer is both. When record rain drenched the region this month — one South Dade neighborhood got more than 10 inches in 24 hours — it was against a backdrop of the deepening El Niño over the Pacific. The weather pattern didn’t create the soggy front that has stalled over the region, or the above average temperatures and rain marking the year’s end. It just made them worse.

“You can’t point the finger at El Niño for every little thing,” said Robert Molleda, the National Weather Service’s warning coordination meteorologist for the Miami forecast office. But you can blame it for “setting the stage.”

And until it goes away, likely in late spring or early summer, climate scientists say there’s an 80 percent chance this El Niño will keep us plenty wet.

Coming off a damp November, December is already breaking records dating back nearly a century. Between Dec. 2 and Dec. 8, rainfall in eastern Miami-Dade County totaled 9.02 inches, according to the South Florida Water Management District. Eastern Broward had 5.89 inches. In an average year, the two areas get just 1.91 inches and 2.15 inches during those dates.

That much rain can cause all kinds of problems, and not just at Zoo Miami, which closed this week after zookeepers worried lions might ford water-filled moats. At the water management district, engineers began lowering water in the region a week ago, said Jeff Kivett, director of operations, engineering and construction. But even with water at the lowest level allowed to protect regional water supplies, the system still failed in places.

In Doral, lakes overflowed and filled fairways while cows huddled on higher dry land in flooded pastures. Water submerged roads from Homestead to Coconut Grove. Near Miami International Airport, water managers had to pump water into a rarely used reservoir built after a “no name” storm in 2000 dumped more than a foot of rain in less than 24 hours. Farmers in South Dade plan to meet Thursday to talk about seeking emergency relief from flooding.

zz

jabomano

• Ft. Myers, Florida 33908 Myrciaria maniac
    • Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 07:05:45 PM »
No rain down here in Ft. Myers. My area had very little this summer/fall.

'If dogs don't go to heaven then I want to go where they go.'

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 07:57:24 PM »
22 of my 23 in ground mangoes trees have been dormant for over 2 months with swollen buds. I'm hoping the rainy weather is over by the time the first flowering event usually occurs on my yard (mid to late Dec). Some nights have been a little cold too. "Felt" like high 60's to low 70s. Some of my blueberry bushes have been flowering for about 2-3 weeks now.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

ftmyersfruit

• Lee County Florida 33907
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 08:28:40 PM »
Jabomano, I am just a few miles from you and we have had tons of rain. Over 60 inches this summer and about 3-4 in Nov. and December.

jabomano

• Ft. Myers, Florida 33908 Myrciaria maniac
    • Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 09:24:32 PM »
Not in my neighborhood. It rained all around us. It was like Stephen King wrapped The Dome around my neighborhood. I was watering every day through the summer and fall. Constantly topping off my pool. Water bill was higher this summer/fall than ever before. We did have at least one big rain in September. It wasn't a drought but it seems like the rain was less then it has been in years. Or maybe it's just the older I get the better I was....memory wise... :)

https://youtu.be/kw_x5Fom05Q

'If dogs don't go to heaven then I want to go where they go.'

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 10:14:26 AM »
My loquats are flowering but don't seem to be setting fruit or even flowers opening consistently (at least compared to last year).  I suspect it is due to so much wet weather

ive been paying close attention to the plants in my neighborhood.
Not may people grow edibles, except for loquats and a few figs.

ive seen at least 6 loquat trees in the last week, all in flower
none with any fruit.

i have 2 varieties, both are showing buds, but no flowers yet

but then we have had a warm spell recently.
it was 80F yesterday, should be the same for today.
we had a few nights in the upper 40s a few weeks ago
but recently it hasnt gotten under 60.

i have mulberry trees in different stages of fruit.
(my big red lost its leaves, but, the black only lost 1/2 of them, and some others didnt loose any)

i have yellow strawberry guava in flower now.
ripe guava on my Mex cream.
New growth on my Lychee, Jabo, Longan, papaya

all my seedlings are outside right now... LOL
i wonder when fall will get here ?

- NO i am not complaining :)

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 10:28:08 AM »
just for a comparison.. the loquats here in California are flowering and some are even past that (picture taken last weekend).. but I would rather have the rain in Florida, so we don't have to water almost every day..  ;D

« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 10:37:07 AM by michsu »

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 10:27:16 PM »
All this rain has everyone thing in grow mode  :-\ Just had another flush on my PPK and Fairchild.  Mulberry is out of control growing by the day. Bananas leaf every other day

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 08:39:19 AM »
All this rain has everyone thing in grow mode  :-\ Just had another flush on my PPK and Fairchild.  Mulberry is out of control growing by the day. Bananas leaf every other day

Same thing here. Three tress are pushing new flushes, and 2 others are hardening off.
Hoping for flowers in January.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk