Author Topic: My air layered guava branches after 14 weeks  (Read 1380 times)

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
My air layered guava branches after 14 weeks
« on: October 14, 2015, 11:05:08 PM »
I think this was a success!
I air layered 6 branches and 4 of them took.
I just cut them and put them in pots today, but I would like to know if I should cut them down, each one is about 6 feet tall and have some great leaves, but now that they are planted maybe it would be too much for the new tree.
Advise, please?

Bhkkatemoya

• San diego
    • View Profile
Re: My air layered guava branches after 14 weeks
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 12:51:04 AM »
I would remove 80% of the leaves on the branch so the air layer can have more energy to root and eventually grow out new leaves and branches.  Scale down on the small branches in the airlayer now as well.  Guava grows back very fast so don't be shy with the pruning.  Water it regularly and keep it in the shade for a month or two till you see new growth on the air layer.

Congrats on your success.

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 08:19:49 AM »
Thank you very much!, I did put them in a nice shady spot and watered them well, I will do some serious pruning this afternoon when I get back from work.  :D

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 08:25:02 AM »
I would hold off on pruning now.  While those are pretty large air layers, you want the focus of plants energy to be on the plants to root out, not the energy to flushing leaves.  There will be plenty of time to prune it back.  I would stake them so there us no unwanted stress on the plants due to their current height.
- Rob

BahamaDan

• BHS, Zone 12b Subtropics
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 09:31:07 AM »
I would say it depends on your situation. For my citrus air layers I usually prune them back or deleaf some because that reduces the water loss from transportation, and conserving water is important for the air layer at this stage where the small root mass is usually not established enough or expansive enough to uptake enough water to meet the needs of a large canopy (this is one of the reasons they are placed in shade initially as well). Once done, in my experience, the air layer will only begin leafing out after the roots have settled a bit and only puts out what the roots can support, so flushing caused by pruning an air layer has not been a concern for me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk