Author Topic: Apple Mango ????  (Read 1209 times)

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
Apple Mango ????
« on: April 13, 2016, 08:56:51 AM »
Hello mango experts!
In El Salvador I used to eat "mango manzano/a" I don't know the correct name for it, all I know is that when it was green it was sweet, not sour like the other mangoes in the country, I never ate it fully ripe, but I need to know if any of you know what is the scientific name for it, and where I could buy a small tree.

And can anyone explain to me why my post doesn't show as "new" topic even though I press the "new" button? Thanks in advance! Xenia

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Apple Mango ????
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 01:01:43 PM »
Hello mango experts!
In El Salvador I used to eat "mango manzano/a" I don't know the correct name for it, all I know is that when it was green it was sweet, not sour like the other mangoes in the country, I never ate it fully ripe, but I need to know if any of you know what is the scientific name for it, and where I could buy a small tree.

And can anyone explain to me why my post doesn't show as "new" topic even though I press the "new" button? Thanks in advance! Xenia

"Apple" is a common name given to local seedling mangos throughout the world of various origin. You can find mangos with names like that (or "banana", or "pineapple", etc) all over the place that have no relation to each other. There is an "Apple" mango in Kenya and the Philippines, for instance.

So unfortunately it will likely be difficult for you to find it.

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
Re: Apple Mango ????
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 01:20:40 PM »
That is too bad, I mainly wanted it because its sweet when green. :( but I found the Keo Savoy that its supposed to be sweet when green, it just doesnt look like the one I remember eating. Thanks.