Author Topic: Annonas, how do you feel in general about their taste?  (Read 13766 times)

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Annonas, how do you feel in general about their taste?
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 07:20:02 PM »
I think aussies need to get some elite US cherimoyas to improve public opinion and make them popular.I think only very poor quality ones have made it here.Between 20 and 30 years ago some of the cherimoya varieties tried here are as follows:

Cherimoya varieties: Bays, Booth, Burton's Wonder, Chaffey, Kaitaia Special, Loma, Pierce, Pink, Reretai, Sabor, White.

They embarrassed themselves and made a mockery of their kind when compared to atemoyas like Pinks' Mammoth at the time.Now it has been forgotten and this place is ready for them again but they have to be good ones to start with.The same could be true in reverse with the US ripe for true mammoths,KJ's,tropic suns and maroochy golds.I would love to see a true no holds barred tussle between the champ atemoyas and cherimoyas.

By the way not all sugar apples are extra seedy. Some have numerous unseeded segments and only small seeds so it amounts to a respectable flesh yield.A 5lb mammoth can at times have only 4 or 5 seeds and so flesh yield in some atemoya is one of their strong points.

A number of very good cvs of cherimoya came in once upon a time. There are still a few at Birdwood, but they lost most of their collection - the best in the country - to disease in the 80s and 90s. Only a few made it out and are mostly in unknown private collections. I think folk in SA have been working to find the best ones, as they have the best climate for them.

I've found Pinks Mammoth to have more like 10-12 seeds to the 700g on average, but only 5 of those will be fully formed, the rest being hollow and small. This means you need to eat alot of fruit before you can send seeds to people asking for them  ;D

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2012, 07:23:58 PM »
Rob- recurring problems with the Gefner due to it's growth habit and apparent susceptibility to pests. Scaled loved it, the ants farmed the scale, and there was no was to keep the ants off with tanglefoot due to the leaders spreading parallel to the ground (it was basically a bush, not a tree). So I got a nice, upright Lisa from Excalibur, put tanglefoot on right and have had no problems at all. The Gefner was a huge headache. I probably spent 50% of my gardening time out there troubleshooting that tree.

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2012, 01:39:24 PM »
I like:

-Sugar Apple
-Red Custard Apple
-Gefner Atemoya
Adiel

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2012, 09:37:34 PM »
Speaking of Annonas, my first ones ripened today...my crop is the smallest in years due to all the early season rain. The Annonaceous fruits are some of the best eating fruits that you can grow.   

My favorites in order....

Big Red Sugar Apples
Big Green  Sugar Apples 
Gefner Atemoya
Amazon Giant Rollinia
Genova Red or Fairchild Ilama
Sarteneja Red Custard Apple
Cherimoya
Guanabana

FloridaGreenMan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2012, 01:07:26 AM »
Speaking of Annonas, my first ones ripened today...my crop is the smallest in years due to all the early season rain. The Annonaceous fruits are some of the best eating fruits that you can grow.   

My favorites in order....

Big Red Sugar Apples
Big Green  Sugar Apples 
Gefner Atemoya
Amazon Giant Rollinia
Genova Red or Fairchild Ilama
Sarteneja Red Custard Apple
Cherimoya
Guanabana

Those red sugar apples look very attractive! In all fairness i've only had the Kampong mauve. Seems like it's much easier to get highly refined cherimoya cultivars than sugar apples. In most countries where the sugar apples are common the ones grown are very seedy and gritty, not the top of the line.
Oscar

robguz24

• Kalapana, Big Island of Hawaii
    • View Profile
    • My garden near Kalapana, Hawaii
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2012, 02:25:43 PM »
I have tasted and grow atemoya, soursop, and rollinia here in East Hawaii. I would grow cherimoya, but it does not fruit at my low elevation where it rarely gets below 65F.

My favorites are cherimoya and rollinia. I don't know specific varieties of any of those I grow or have tried. Also recently tried a sugar apple, which I didn't like enough to every have again. It was too mealy and too many seeds. But it made me recognize how atemoya are a cherimoya-sugar apple cross.

Soursop I've recently started harvesting, and learning when to harvest. They really have to soften in order to become more sweet and less stringy. They can be delicious but a pain to eat.

Recently harvested my first rollinia, and it was just a wonderful vanilla custard. Best one I've had!

Here in Hawaii I can find these all for sale at farmers markets, but only occasionally and they are all pretty expensive compared to other fruits. Just started getting my atemoya to fruit for the first time by hand pollinating it. Can't wait to eat them all!

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2012, 10:20:06 PM »
My preference goes definitely to the chewy, rubber type. For now, this only exists with the green SA. Hopefully, this will change and we'll have a red chewy type. Big and chewy.
Thera

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2012, 11:23:32 PM »
Northern-Pawpaw (Asimina triloba),
Cherimoya (Annona cherimola),
Cawesh (Annona scleroderma),,
Rollinia deliciosa (mucosa),
Custard-Apple (Annona reticulata),
Ilama (Annona diversifolia),
Guanabana (Annona muricata),
Muvulu (Annona senegalensis),
atemoya,
Sugar-apple,
etc.

Har

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2012, 11:26:57 PM »
Har, interesting that paw paw is at the top of your list. I've only got to try it once, but it was indeed excellent. Can you say more about the taste of muvulu (A. senegalensis)? What is the flavor like? Size of fruit, etc.?
Oscar

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2012, 01:11:23 PM »
Har, are you growing senegalensis? The fruit is pretty small, right?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2012, 11:34:37 PM »
I do not currently have a fruiting tree of Annona senegalensis.  The fruits are small and very seedy.  The pulp is deeply orange, with sweet, oily carotenoid flavor, reminiscent of some palm fruits.  Ray Jones, founder of Manatee County Rare Fruit Council, has a lovely fruiting tree.  I have lost several trees in my yard.  Am trying again.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2012, 11:38:32 PM »
I forgot to include the Cerrado-Sop or Marolo (Annona crassiflora) near the top of my preferred flavors in this family.  I haven't eaten one since 1996--- in its native range in central Brazil.  None of the plants we started in Florida survived.
Har

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2012, 11:47:52 PM »
I love Cherimoya and Paw Paw and coming in third is sweetsop but that's all I've tasted from this very large group!!!

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2012, 01:58:44 AM »
Cherimoya are by far the best for me. They are the only fruit that I am willing to pay high prices to have them shipped to me. My last order cost me $36 for 4 fruit. They are so good that I think it is worth it.

Atemoya is good when there are no Cherimoya available.

I like the flavor of SA's but the seeds are crazy and make me not really want to bother with the fruit.

Haven't tried anything else. I have some Paw Paw that are growing well but I am guessing I am still a few years away for fuit. 

I am hoping to try some new stuff during the PR trip.

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2012, 03:33:07 AM »
I like the flavor of SA's but the seeds are crazy and make me not really want to bother with the fruit.

The number of seeds is the main reason why I prefer "Chewy" SA. That said, there is a theory that suggests that the number of seeds depends on how much pollens the female flower received. Example, if you hand pollinate and you put on too much pollen onto the female flower (like by poking the brush in more than 3 times), you'll get a fruit with lots of seeds. I have yet to personally verify this hypothesis but it would explain why some SA have a lot of seeds and others have only very few.

One thing for sure, chewy or rubber Sugar Apple have very few seeds generally.  ;D

Thera

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2012, 04:02:42 AM »
kh0110 no one hand pollinates sugar apples around here and they are extremely productive.The big greens in NQ have very small seeds and many seedles segments.

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2012, 04:20:25 AM »
kh0110 no one hand pollinates sugar apples around here and they are extremely productive.The big greens in NQ have very small seeds and many seedles segments.

Now, I gotta have your strains of sugar apples, Mike. I'd love to get your insects pollinators also but I'm guessing that would be a very bad idea.  :)
Thera