Author Topic: Help with Newly planted kesar mango in Southern California  (Read 1516 times)

Ashah

• California, San Bernardino County, zone10
    • View Profile
Yes I did dare to put grafted mango tree from Florida in Southern California(zone10b) ground.
The first image is when my kesar mango tree arrived from Plant-O-Grams Nursery, Florida on April 12, 2018.FYI I took the first picture after I took out the flower panicle that was without any fruit on branch on right that. (an impulsive part of me on both counts)
I planted the tree on April 18,2018. I added cow manure, organic fertilizer, worm castings, some gypsum(to loosen the clay soil for good drainage) and iron sulphate and elemental sulfur (recommendations through the soil testing results that my yard is very low in iron and has 7.4 ph).After the planting, not only April but almost whole month of May was gray with low cloud cover with temperatures in low 60s and nighttime in 40s. Last week of May it started to get warmer and I noticed buds swelling on my kesar mango. I was happy at first that my mango tree has settled down in its new ground and climate and showing some sign of growth but it also got me to skeptical of bud being vegetative or floral following unexpected low temperatures for long time.
Rest of the pictures are of the progress on my mango tree that I have been seeing past week.
Sorry for being descriptive but I wanted to give as much information out before I ask my questions. Here are some questions that I need answers to so I don’t loose my mango tree and help it grow healthy and strong.

1) Do you think my tree can take fruiting (I don’t know the age but came in 3 gallon pot, 1/2 inch in trunk diameter )?
   2) If yes then do you think it will flush out after harvest which will be very late maybe in October?
   3) Or I take out panicles on main branch and leave those on smaller branches and it will flush out leaves and develop fruit at same time? Will it work that way?
   4) Let’s say I have to take out all the panicles then when or what stage I should cut them to get some vegetative growth this year? (Temperatures here are in upper 80s and some 90s).
   5) Also some of the leaves at bottom have turned yellow and tips are browning. Is it normal or any disease or nutrient deficiency causing them.

For sure it is challenging to grow mango trees in SC. I would highly appreciate all the inputs and suggestions. Thanks a lot!

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Newly planted kesar mango in Southern California
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 05:53:01 PM »
Those are mixed blooms due to temperature fluctuations confusing the tree. I would prune them off but not right away as the tree may try to push bloom once again. Wait about a month or so. I personally would not let a tree that small fruit especially since you just planted it. Let it get established and maybe hold a few fruit next season. The tree looks healthy those yellowing leaves are normal especially with new growth coming. Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 05:55:42 PM by MangoCountry »

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 08:49:51 PM »
Do you prune off just the blooms or the entire branch? This year I’ve just left them but am not sure what the long term outcome will be or if it’s recommended to leave them be.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:52:04 PM by CA Hockey »

MangoCountry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 09:30:00 PM »
Not the whole branch. Just a little below the panicle and about a quarter inch above a leaf. It should flush a few new shoots from that point. If they dont set any fruit I would definitely prune them off as they harbor disease. If they set fruit prune them while harvesting or soon after.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:39:20 PM by MangoCountry »

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 09:45:45 PM »
Gotcha. So will the leaves on the mixed panicle ever give rise to new buds that make vegetative growth or are they strictly a horticultural dead end in terms of no vegetative growth potential and the blooms may not set?

Ashah

• California, San Bernardino County, zone10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 09:49:27 PM »
Thank you MangoCountry! I will do as you suggested. I agree my tree needs to establish and grow before it can produce. 

MangoCountry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 10:46:08 PM »
The blooms may set but not nearly as frequent as a normal flowering panicle. If nothing sets they drop off and the panicle with the small odd looking leaves remains. I would prune it off so a normal shoot can replace it. I have never let any remain so I'm not sure what will happen going forward.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 11:07:05 PM by MangoCountry »

Shardul

• India
    • View Profile
    • Mango Basket
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 05:37:15 AM »
Sometimes mango cultivation looks easy but it isn't, It needs lots of hard work and patience to cultivate any mango tree. A mango tree needs an ideal climate to grow. It is a tropical fruit and needs a lot of suns to grow and bear fruit. Kesar is also one of the most popular mango type from India, putting it into a pot to grafting to taking care of it every stage is really important.

Me and some of my buddies are into mangoes since last couple of years and if you want to track our journey, head over to Mango Basket and ping us if you have any query regarding mango.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 03:46:08 PM »
Sorry I missed this thread when you first posted, hopefully your tree has survived. Do you have any updates?

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk