Author Topic: Making peace with the rabbits  (Read 3740 times)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Making peace with the rabbits
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2020, 08:52:06 AM »
Just funny that this thread went from "making peace" with the rabbits to making food out of them  ;D ;D ;D ;D

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2020, 01:09:27 PM »
Ha! My dad regularly goes out to barrier islands and hunts wild Iberian pigs  and deer with silenced .22 rifles. He and his friends go out about once a month and rarely fail to bring something back. They also one shot them typically. You just need to know where to shoot them and sneak up close.
If american rabbits are like iberian pig ( domestic pig gone wild) then you have chances with the 22.
Here there were cases of wild boars that were shot in the head with breneke ( single projectile in the shotgun,slug) and the breneke fell from the pig turned into something like a coin  ;D.
Wild boars even killed brown bears( grizzlys) here .

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2020, 07:57:41 PM »
Just funny that this thread went from "making peace" with the rabbits to...xxx.... lol...  ;D
Noooo, Were not deviating.... Were still 100% into  "Making peace with the rabbits"

Cemeteries are very peaceful places. I really like the RIP headstones...   8)  RIP = Rest In Peace for google translate... lol.... https://www.google.com/search?q=tombstone+rest+in+peace+rabbit&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiduKWZ-_LnAhXDRVMKHd8dDg4Q2-cCegQIABAA&oq=tombstone+rest+in+peace+rabbit&gs_l=img.3...109052.110945..111270...0.0..0.100.554.6j1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0i8i30.ROyorS5f_Ls&ei=CltYXp2LEMOLzQLfu7hw&rlz=1C1KMZB_enUS563US563

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2020, 09:30:45 PM »
The problem with rabbits in urban areas is lack of predators on the young. Rabbit gestation is only 27 days so 10 litters of 6-10 each plus the survivors reaching breeding maturity at 6 months means a lot of rabbits if not controlled.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2020, 10:16:10 PM »
The problem with rabbits in urban areas is lack of predators on the young. Rabbit gestation is only 27 days so 10 litters of 6-10 each plus the survivors reaching breeding maturity at 6 months means a lot of rabbits if not controlled.

Even out here in the middle of nowhere with lots of coyotes and other predators theres tons of rabbits. 
Brad Spaugh

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2020, 07:05:12 AM »
Anti rabbit protection made from pet plastic bottles from garbage i colect from the river bed.
I use a tool to cut the bottles into long rows of something like a wide string,then i wind that onto a metal rod and heat it over the oven fire until it keeps its spring like shape.

Will be doing somme bigger when il have time.

Thee trunk painted with calcium hidroxide paint.This keeps the rabbits from eating the bark verry well but needs to be applyed every year.Also protects the tree trunks from sunlight cracking of the bark and is an antifungic/ disinfectant.

Tree cut by rabbit but this was before i painted them .
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 07:16:06 AM by SeaWalnut »

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2020, 11:44:08 AM »
Once they are dead, you can use it as fertilizer. Just dig a whole next to a fruit tree, and throw it in.

Just funny that this thread went from "making peace" with the rabbits to making food out of them  ;D ;D ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk