Author Topic: What avocados are you growing north of Okeechobee and south of Lakeland ?  (Read 1348 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
I'm looking for information on avocado trees growing in the above Central Florida area.
Would like:
Production
Lowest temperature it has handles with or without protection

It would be much appreciated
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
Re: What avocados are you growing north of Okeechobee and south of Lakeland ?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 03:26:43 PM »
Carlos,

I'm south of Lakeland, but in Pinellas County. Tampa Bay is a mile away and the Gulf of Mexico a couple of miles away from where I live. So, because of the geography, things may be a bit different. The coldest night for me last week (when Tampa International Airport touched 34 and parts of St. Pete hit 37) was still 39 degrees. Recently planted an Oro Negro and a Fantastic, have to see how they do.
Went to Jenco Farms in Pinellas Park (owned by Jerry and Cora Coronel) 3 weekends ago; they have had the farm for 17 years and have a wide variety of avocado trees. We tried an Oro Negro and an Ulala; the former was great, the latter was good. Got mine from them; Jerry recommended the Fantastic as a mid-season avo; also suggested an earlier season one if I have the space for it. The Coronels are about as inland as you can get in Pinellas County: maybe 6-7 miles from the water. They never said anything about cold affecting their trees.
If you like, I can PM their address, phone # and email to you.