Author Topic: Your favorite local seedling Avocado?  (Read 73242 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Your favorite local seedling Avocado?
« on: July 14, 2012, 11:17:29 AM »
Wondering who has found a seedling avocado tree near them locally, that stands out amongst the others as being your favorite?

After searching through many fruiting seedling trees near me, I've found one seedling tree with large, light green, smooth skinned,  pear shaped fruits, with a firm, buttery, egg yolk flavor pulp.

It my favorite...so I've grafted it before it succumbs to Laurel Wilt.

Anyone else have a description of their favorite seedling avocado tree?

Here in central FL we are in danger of losing some amazing seedling trees, so I'm on a mission to preserve some of the finest.

I will post pics of tree and fruits asap!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite local seedling Avocado?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 02:21:26 PM »
Hi Adam,
My favorite seedling is a tree that my grandfather planted and the tree is in it's 3rd year of production...the yield has increased 5 fold.

This particular tree bear's large fruits, very small seed and the skin is bumpy/smooth/green 8)

This var. is the best seedling Avocado...thin skin, firm, fiberless and freak'n tasty 8) I eat the fruit just like that...no need to drown this avocado with condiments... :o

I will properly document this Avocado this year...for everyone to see ;) Here's the pic on the small seed... 8)

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 03:37:49 PM »
I also see seedling avos around and some are very good.A few years ago I stumbled across a trees covered with huge black cannonball avos with smooth skin like an eggplant.You'd hock up hass in horror after trying this baby.People seem to plant seeds of sharwil,reed,shepard and hass quite a bit.Some turn out great and like their parents,others with different fruit entirely or poor fruit and often trees don't fruit or take forever to fruit.I see more good seedling on the cool adjacent tablelands than on the steamy coast where I am.
Steven that is a small seed and I presume the fruit must be modest in size also. 

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 04:01:52 PM »
MikeT,

Do you have a problem with boring beetles, infecting trees in Australia?

Here we are losing them left and right.

I also see seedling avos around and some are very good.A few years ago I stumbled across a trees covered with huge black cannonball avos with smooth skin like an eggplant.You'd hock up hass in horror after trying this baby.People seem to plant seeds of sharwil,reed,shepard and hass quite a bit.Some turn out great and like their parents,others with different fruit entirely or poor fruit and often trees don't fruit or take forever to fruit.I see more good seedling on the cool adjacent tablelands than on the steamy coast where I am.
Steven that is a small seed and I presume the fruit must be modest in size also. 

Thanks for the pic and info Steven!

I wish I could taste this one!

Hi Adam,
My favorite seedling is a tree that my grandfather planted and the tree is in it's 3rd year of production...the yield has increased 5 fold.

This particular tree bear's large fruits, very small seed and the skin is bumpy/smooth/green 8)

This var. is the best seedling Avocado...thin skin, firm, fiberless and freak'n tasty 8) I eat the fruit just like that...no need to drown this avocado with condiments... :o

I will properly document this Avocado this year...for everyone to see ;) Here's the pic on the small seed... 8)

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 04:19:09 PM »
Not really Saff but cerambycids and buprestid beetle borers are a low level pain in the ass.I get many kinds of longicorns to 3 inches with the rainforest 200 yards away.Avos, durian and citrus sometimes get them but not in big numbers.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 04:26:48 PM »
Saff I just looked at the stats and see you have 2000 posts and Oscar has cracked the 3000 mark.I think a new cayegory should be erected to accommodate that kinda productivity.It is like a Cat 6 hurricane and maybe Super Hero is the logical classification to seperate you guys from the gasrden variety of heros.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 06:03:43 PM »

Howdy Mike,
It not as large as a cannon ball :o...it's large, not massive ;) The fruits start to ripen around November...i'll keep the best trait of this avo...secret  :o then when they are ripe...i will spill 'em beans ;D 

@Adam...there will be enough Avo's for everyone...will be happy to share :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 06:10:36 PM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 06:04:57 PM »
ASafron I'm following the Laurel Wilt situation very closely. I'm in Homestead and it began to show up in the norther perimeter.

Seem like if you inject the trees with Tilt, a fungicide with the active ingredient Propiconazole,  you can prevent the disease.   The Extension is testing various methods and so am I.  So far down here it seems to attack trees that are weak and in decline. SO a preventive measure is to keep the trees healthy.  Is it behaving different in Central Florida?

On the seedling issue, I agree with you, there has to be dozens of good seedling scattered every where in Florida. So I'm glad you are on the look out for good seedlings.

Keep us posted. Please document with pictures when you can.

Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 06:18:25 PM »
I hear its attacking a certain race more than others, but I forget which one...I think the winter mexican may be resistant, but don't quote me.

I've witnessed about 8% of all the trees I know about, showing signs of laurel Wilt...but my estimates maybe off.

It's been bad enough for me to get worried about saving some trees!

I will post pics very soon.

take care!

ASafron I'm following the Laurel Wilt situation very closely. I'm in Homestead and it began to show up in the norther perimeter.

Seem like if you inject the trees with Tilt, a fungicide with the active ingredient Propiconazole,  you can prevent the disease.   The Extension is testing various methods and so am I.  So far down here it seems to attack trees that are weak and in decline. SO a preventive measure is to keep the trees healthy.  Is it behaving different in Central Florida?

On the seedling issue, I agree with you, there has to be dozens of good seedling scattered every where in Florida. So I'm glad you are on the look out for good seedlings.

Keep us posted. Please document with pictures when you can.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 06:57:06 PM »
Jonathan Crane stated that West Indian types appear to be more susceptible to Laurel Wilt.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 06:59:12 PM »
thanks Squam!

Jonathan Crane stated that West Indian types appear to be more susceptible to Laurel Wilt.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 11:38:51 PM »
here is one of the grafted trees I made of my favorite local avocado.

I'm sure you won't be able to tell much from the picture...I have to get a better one.

The fruits are pear shaped, and blush yellow green when mature.  They're medium large/ to large fruited...and the fruit is savory, rich, with a firm texture, and taste like egg yolk...I remember really liking the aroma of this one...it has good flavored oil I suppose u could say.

I'll try to post pics of the fruits in detail, so we can possible put a finger on what it may be related to.  CTMIAMI..I'm counting on u.  ;D  :)

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 12:27:43 AM »
Saff I just looked at the stats and see you have 2000 posts and Oscar has cracked the 3000 mark.I think a new cayegory should be erected to accommodate that kinda productivity.It is like a Cat 6 hurricane and maybe Super Hero is the logical classification to seperate you guys from the gasrden variety of heros.
After Hero comes super hero, then forum god. lol.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 12:48:25 AM »
I've been shooting for the titles of:

"Prince of Plinia"
or
"Archbishop of Annoncaceae"
or
"Sultan of Sapotaceae"
or
"Captain Clusiaceae Clout"

For now, I'm just a Plinia peasant/Jaboticaba jester/myrciaria madman!

After Hero comes super hero, then forum god. lol.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 08:21:18 PM »
Theses are pictures from my seed tree. I wouldn't say the avocados are great. But they are good a little bit on the watery side. They are also kinda small, but i like that because it means you can eat a whole one. However, the main reason I keep this tree is because its a very heavy bearer and can hold on to alot of avocados. The top picture shows half of what I picked this year from this tree.

- David Antonio Garcia

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 10:42:31 PM »
can anyone help me figure out something about the lineage of this seedling avocado I like so much??

I will post pics of the fruit cut in half soon.

I remember a rich egg yolk taste, firm flesh, good flesh to seed ratio..and large fruits.

the fruit in the picture is medium sized, they get about 20% larger...but can be smaller as well.

the fruits seem to be late season, ripening from now until Mid November..if I remember...or maybe even later?? 

any ideas so far?
thanks in advance!  :)

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 02:59:08 PM »
can anyone help me figure out something about the lineage of this seedling avocado I like so much??

I will post pics of the fruit cut in half soon.

I remember a rich egg yolk taste, firm flesh, good flesh to seed ratio..and large fruits.

the fruit in the picture is medium sized, they get about 20% larger...but can be smaller as well.

the fruits seem to be late season, ripening from now until Mid November..if I remember...or maybe even later?? 

any ideas so far?
thanks in advance!  :)

Looks somewhat like Pollack, but the season would be wrong.  Pollack is an early fruit.....say August-September.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 04:17:44 PM »
thanks Harry..
i also thought of pollack.

maybe they are so much later in the season because i'm up north??

the tree is cold sensitive for sure.

is this a feature of polllack??

you could be on to something

thanks for posting
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 04:17:53 PM »
one thing I can say about this tree, is that the fruits are hard to spot when picking them!

I like the fact that the tree was loaded with fruit, but looked picked clean!

some fruits are quite large (almost too large for the basket on my picker pole) but they are not the biggest fruits I've seen.

the description of pollack sounds right, but I'm not sure yet.  I need to taste one and see the inside.  another day or so and they'll be ripe.

I will share pics and experience.

thanks to all who contribute to the avocado discussion.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 05:37:12 PM »
one thing I can say about this tree, is that the fruits are hard to spot when picking them!

I like the fact that the tree was loaded with fruit, but looked picked clean!

some fruits are quite large (almost too large for the basket on my picker pole) but they are not the biggest fruits I've seen.

the description of pollack sounds right, but I'm not sure yet.  I need to taste one and see the inside.  another day or so and they'll be ripe.

I will share pics and experience.

thanks to all who contribute to the avocado discussion.

Very pollack-like problems, for sure.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 10:04:28 PM »
I have two Pollock trees and ate quite a few of them this season. Is one of my favorites. That fruit does not remind me of it. Pollock is very early July-August. If I had to pick I would say looks more like a Dupuis, the shape the size, color etc. But again Dupuis is an early fruit but the seedling can come any way it wants. There are no rules. The yellow spots remind me of Arue, but that is super early. I saw flowers on some of my Arue trees today. Good luck with your seedling looks nice. Do you know flower type?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 10:10:56 PM »
ctmiami,

I never thought to see what type the flowers are...by me there are as many avocado trees as loquat and citrus...they all seem to have fruit...but many are being hit, and killed by wilt.

this one tree was too tasty for me to let die off!  I easily grafted 3 trees and gave away 2...keeping one.   

if the fruits are delicious this year, I will be happy to share budwood (but is that a bad idea even within the state? and from a seemingly healthy specimen?)

thanks!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »
aSaffron. You need to get with the program to save your avocado trees from Laurel Wilt. Is not complicated and there is no toxicity to the fruit.  The Chemical does not go into the fruit but prevents the fungus from growing and killing the tree. I'm developing  and almost done. a low cost injection system using parts you can buy anywhere except the injectors.  in total for under $30.00-40.00 you can build the injection system and inject Tilt in your trees. A few more test are needed.

I don't think it would be a problem to share bud wood as long as there are no beetle holes in the tree and the tree is in a container. Some people are suspecting now that the Wilt is transmitted in the grove environment by root proximity, not good.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 10:39:42 AM »
Here is my favorite seedling avocado again.

The last time I picked them was a bit early, so the flavor was a bit bland.

This time, they are perfectly ready to pick.

I will update with photos of the inside of the fruit, and with my observations of fruit quality and flavor.

I was surprised to find, that when I was in the tree picking the fruits, there is another crop that's about 2 months away from being ready to pick.  The second crop is less abundant than the first, only comprising about 1/4 of total fruit produced by the tree.

I tried to show a larger fruit, and a smaller fruit to show the size range.  Most fruits are large, not many were small.

The yellow blush gets me excited to taste these, I hope they're as good as I remember a few years back.

I also tried to take as many pics as I could to show the same fruit at different angles (with hopes of identifying it)

BTW, this tree isn't really a cold hearty one, although it's endured quite a few bad freezes. I'm guessing temps around 28F will really start to hurt the tree. (just a guess though)

Thanks to all who've been participating in this discussion.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 10:42:34 AM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 11:08:52 AM »
The yellow bush is probably sunburn??
I would be interested to see if this tree keeps the fruit on until December-January. Please let me know. I continue to looks for late fruit. Monroe keeps it but fruits starts dropping now.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com