Author Topic: Northern CA mango 2020 : this is going to be a great year for mango for us  (Read 2167 times)

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
Northern CA mango 2020 : this is going to be a great year for mango for us. We should call it year of the mango. 

With less rains and Warner winter , Got lots of flowers on my trees . The lemon zest is going crazy with the blooms.

@Waxy , @Simon_grow -
You guys have similar weather as my area.How are your mango doing? 

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
You can count the number of fruiting Mango tree’s in Northern California on 1 hand.
Year of the Mango in Northern California? Wow. Nice.
Do you have any planted in the ground?

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
I used to live on the other side of the bay from redwood city. I'm surprised you are able to grow mangoes there.
I'm an hour north of sacramento and they are struggling here.
-Kris

Itay Gazit

• san jose
    • View Profile
Already blooming? I live in South San Jose, my in-ground and pots mangoes, including Lemon Zest, just now shows signs of new blooms.

Yes, our Mangoes 'loved' the past winter.

Itay

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
funny that the rosigold is the only tree that is 100% in ground , but not doing that great with growth and blooms.  The rest of the trees are in large pots with the bottom cut off.  not sure if the gophers are attacking the rosigold or something .  And some flowers survive the winter and is saving a small fruit.  In the green house, plantogram Mahachanok is also having little babies and also toe size fruit that is ready to pick. 

Lemon zest :

mallika

Thai geen mango, Keo savoy.

forgotten the tag:

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I’ve neglected my yard this year but my Lemon Zest is on it’s second bloom which is coinciding with this week long rain event going on right now. There is Powdery Mildew on my LZ blooms and new foliage so we will see if any fruit holds. Even with the PM, I usually still get some fruit set but most the fruit eventually drop at approximately 1-2 inches in length. I don’t want to use PGRs in an attempt to increase yields, I don’t even know if such a thing exists.

My Sweet Tart on Double rootstock is flowering and it usually holds several fruit to maturity. I did not get any frost at my location this year, first year with no frost in the last 6-7 years that I can remember.

I have not visited Leo Manuel in about a month because I don’t want to get him sick, my daughters catch a lot of bugs from school. Leo has so many varieties that were selected in his yard that he always has several varieties of Mangos producing well in any given year.

Simon

ben mango

• View Profile
Nice! If you need help eating those mangoes later this year I could help you ;)

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
Nice! If you need help eating those mangoes later this year I could help you ;)

Both the rats and squarely will most likely beat us to it before it turns ripe.   Funny ,even my chickens are eating green cherimoya. 

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
I jinx it.  Freakn raining all day today nonstop , and into until  Tuesday.  not looking good for the flowers.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
41 degrees and raining.
That’s normal Spring weather in the Yay area for ya.
Lots of toasted stone fruit blossom as well.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
yeah, wunderground shing 50F right now. And I'm seeing sunshine on and off. and raining on and off as well.

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
funny that the rosigold is the only tree that is 100% in ground , but not doing that great with growth and blooms.  The rest of the trees are in large pots with the bottom cut off.  not sure if the gophers are attacking the rosigold or something .  And some flowers survive the winter and is saving a small fruit.  In the green house, plantogram Mahachanok is also having little babies and also toe size fruit that is ready to pick. 

Lemon zest :

May I ask where did you buy Thai mango, kiew Savoy?

mallika

Thai geen mango, Keo savoy.

forgotten the tag:

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
the rain has ruined my lemon zest flowers.  they are turning brown for the lemon zests. Others seems to be doing well, especially mallika,  very resistant to disease.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk