Author Topic: Salad Hibiscus (Hibiscus furcellatus)  (Read 1603 times)

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Salad Hibiscus (Hibiscus furcellatus)
« on: April 01, 2017, 05:09:18 PM »
This is delicious! The flowers are a little slimy, but the leaves have a remarkable cranberry-tart flavor and are not slimy at all. I enjoy them plain, even without any dressing or flavoring. I could eat a ton of them, with no condiments at all. I also have put a few in some SE Asian-style soups for a sour flavoring.

I have also eaten leaves and flowers of a number of other types of hibiscus, including sabdariffa, and both a red and a yellow rosa-sinesis. But when I eat the leaves of the other ones, they are a bit slimy, and don't have quite the great flavor of the furcellatus. I don't think any of them are really known for leaf-eating, so much as for brewing tea with the flowers, but I am always on the lookout for more vegetables, and I have never had any ill effects from using them in what so far has always been fairly small amounts of maybe 5-6 leaves at a time. I hope to increase that to more now that I found a variety with a flavor and texture I really like.

**Note though that hibiscus has medicinal qualities, and can affect blood sugar, as well as lower blood pressure. Consume with caution, especially at larger doses.