Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Marsh Grapefruit

(1/5) > >>

Millet:
My white Marsh Seedless Grapefruit was planted in the ground December 2014. So it nearing 5 years old.  It sets plenty fruit, which are getting better as the tree ages.   Most members have heard to let grapefruit hang on the tree at least until March to improved a grapefruit's taste. I picked a couple in March, and the fruit still quite bitter due to the tree's young age.  I picked a second one early in May, and the taste had improved.  Most all of the fruit are still attached to the tree today (June 15).. I am going to pick one tomorrow (Fathers day) and give it a try. Will report back.

SoCal2warm:
Not even a quick mention to how your tree is surviving in the ground in Colorado?

That's kind of an important detail.

Laaz:
Bob, I don't think it's the age or length of time. Grapefruit require a lot of heat to properly sweeten up. There's a reason commercial grapefruit are not grown in California. Here in the south is where the grapefruit produce the best tasting fruit.

TooFarNorth:
Heat must play a big role in the quality of grapefruit.  My first year UGA Pink Frost tree produced one fruit last year, and it was as good as any pink that I have had.  Not bitter at all. 

TFN

Laaz:
Indeed, a long hot growing season is key to building up sugars in grapefruit. They will grow fine in a Mediterranean climate, but will not produce the best fruit...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version