Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

So my brother in-law trimmed his citrus trees a few years ago...

(1/2) > >>

odin.9:

so my brother in-law trimmed the lower portion of his citrus trees a few years ago. He has a young boy and didn't want low-hanging branches with spines... He asked me why they weren't producing oranges anymore. I took a closer look for the first time.

:o

They are now like 15 ft tall (2 trees). How do I break it to him?  Should I propose cutting the tops off and re-grafting higher up? Maybe chest height (?)

you can see the trimmed trunk in the middle... I think that was an important trunk.  :-\  He did this to both trees. My guess is the rootstock suckers was already taller than the orange tree when he went to trim it.

the foliage of the remaining trunks.

Laaz:
Yes, the second photo is trifoliata (Rootstock).

odin.9:

--- Quote from: Laaz on September 16, 2021, 05:01:21 PM ---Yes, the second photo is trifoliata (Rootstock).

--- End quote ---

yes, the punchline is that my brother-in-law cut the orange tree down... allowing the rootstock to completely take over.

brian:
I had this happen recently when I picked a cara-cara orange that turned out to be a pomelo (cuban shaddock - the rootstock).  I hadn't noticed the scion died earlier.  Whoops.

Oh well, time to plant a new tree with one of the fantastic new varieties.  I am really liking Shasta Gold

EricSC:
brian,

How Shasta Gold is compared with gold nugget?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version