Author Topic: Dekopon Brix Test  (Read 4539 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Dekopon Brix Test
« on: February 23, 2012, 08:32:29 PM »
Today I stopped by Harry's office to test the brix of some dekopon fruit that he received in the mail. Thank you Harry and thank you shipper of dekopon for giving me the chance to try this fruit.

The fruit was pretty good. It's my new favorite mandarin. I can't remember if I liked the pixie tangerines I had last year more though.

Anyways, the brix was not as high as I read they should be. We only tested one fruit so it may not have been as sweet as others usually are but the brix was only around 11. I read that dekopons were around 14+.

Since this was my first time ever using my refractometer it could have been user error in messing up the results but I followed the directions in the book.

We also tested an apple that was at 13.2 brix.

Here are some pics.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
Re: Dekopon Brix Test
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 05:09:07 PM »
This is interesting. While it would take a bit of effort to do it regularly, i'd like to see some brix tests in future on the fruit you eat, if you don't mind.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 05:16:48 PM »
If he doesn't mind?  Are you kidding?  You'd have to cut his arms off and throw away his new toy to keep him from doing exactly as you are requesting!

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 05:31:41 PM »
If he doesn't mind?  Are you kidding?  You'd have to cut his arms off and throw away his new toy to keep him from doing exactly as you are requesting!

Harry
hahahaha    actually I really want to know the Okrung's reading from Harry's tree.

Are the three readings from 3 different segments, murahilin?
Tim

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 01:03:33 AM »

Harry
hahahaha    actually I really want to know the Okrung's reading from Harry's tree.

Exotica has or had a nice looking Okrung that was loaded....that's was two years ago. Where did you buy your dekopon?

JF

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 01:21:18 AM »
This is interesting. While it would take a bit of effort to do it regularly, i'd like to see some brix tests in future on the fruit you eat, if you don't mind.

As Harry pointed out, I will gladly keep the forum updated on my future brix tests. I think I may just make one post that I update as I do new tests.

Yup. Three segments from the same fruit.

I will test all of Harry's mangos that I can this summer. I will like to compare different mangos grown in different yards. So for example, Jeff's glenn compared to Harry's glenn. I was really looking forward to a Lemon Zest competition but no one else seems to have any LZ blooms.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 01:22:53 AM »
Got mine from Mitsuwa, it's available at other places too but that was most convenient for me.  $13.99 for a box of 7, or sometimes 6 larger ones - can you believe that?  Only fools would waste money on such things  ;D

Yes yes... I've been meaning to go check that Okrung out.  Last time I was there when he still had mangoes hanging from several trees, I asked if he'd sell me some fruits but his response was "I keep the mangoes for seeds"  WTF....
Tim

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 01:28:55 AM »
Yup. Three segments from the same fruit.

I will test all of Harry's mangos that I can this summer. I will like to compare different mangos grown in different yards. So for example, Jeff's glenn compared to Harry's glenn. I was really looking forward to a Lemon Zest competition but no one else seems to have any LZ blooms.
What a tedious job you've got, hang in there buddy...
At least I don't feel too bad about my LZ not blooming  ;D    still dormant!
Tim

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 02:41:03 AM »
Another use for the meter is to measure the brix of the leaves of plants as a way to monitor the health of the plant, you squeeze the leaves until you get some "juice". and measure that.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 10:51:42 AM »
Another use for the meter is to measure the brix of the leaves of plants as a way to monitor the health of the plant, you squeeze the leaves until you get some "juice". and measure that.

Sounds interesting. I will have to look into that. I guess I would compare a sick leaf to a healthy leaf?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 11:13:20 AM »
I haven't used the refractometer since 2012 or 2013 so I figured I'd sell it. Here is the Amazon link for it: https://www.amazon.com/Hanna-Instruments-Digital-Refractometer-Analysis/dp/B002NX0WHI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1528643356&sr=8-3&keywords=hanna+instruments+refractometer&dpID=41ym8V%252BdS9L&preST=_SX342_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I'll sell it for $110 including shipping to anywhere in the US. I still have the original box and manual.