Author Topic: Warty guava??  (Read 3008 times)

Adacaosky

• View Profile
Warty guava??
« on: July 26, 2012, 10:32:06 AM »

Why do guavas get like this sometimes??? Is it a virus?? Looks like a troll burped it up.

✌🏽

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: Warty guava??
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 03:17:03 PM »
Hi Chris,
Never seen a guava like that before :o Sure looks great 8) How was the flavor of that bad boy ???

Thanks for sharing :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 04:53:40 PM »
I've had two seedless guavas that were pretty bumpy.  I don't think its a virus or anything.  Probably just its natural shape.  Were all the other fruit on the tree similar?
Simon

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 05:50:30 PM »
Adacaosky, That is nothing out of the ordinary for the big thai ones including the seedless.Some can even be ribbed.I think it is due to tiny insect bites and the big greens just respond by creating big bumps.I have had some grotesque 1kg monsters that tasted great but mine is not quite seedless.Are you finding stray seeds inside?

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 09:57:01 AM »

MikeT,
--Wow, that's news to me regarding the supposedly normal appearance. Oh, well... I feel a lot better now about trying to eat them.  This is the first time they came out this way, according to my friend and his father, who planted the tree. :o Yes, the tree pushes out 1kg monsters as well.  ;D ;D This particular tree has lots of seeds in all the fruits but like all big asian type guavas, they do have a lot of meat to seed ratio.  :D The Thai seedless in my back yard has tons of growth but no fruits as of yet.  :'(

simon_grow,
-- Yes, the other fruit were just as grotesque... From all accounts and knowledge, this is the first time this tree has pushed out bumpy fruit. Everyone is super shocked.  :o :o :o

Jackfruitwhisperer69
-- Actually, I don't know how it tastes... :-[ :o .... I was too freaked out to even try to taste it... Call me a coward, but giant Asian guavas here on the island are never (to my knowledge and of my eating experience of 30+ yrs.) bumpy or grotesque like this.... This fruit was from a friend's ageing tree of about 20 + yrs. old and are always-always-always smooth... up until now. :o :o
✌🏽

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 10:21:15 AM »

Maybe I should not have chosen a more regular and 'unbumpy' one to photo.This particular thai white line often has bumpy,ridge an mis-shapen fruit.What is lacks in appearance in makes up for in taste,size (max around 1kg) and few seeds.

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 02:41:20 PM »
That badboy looks absolutely delish!!
✌🏽

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• JoJo Mammey
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 08:52:44 PM »
I have an 8' sopposedly ruby supreme variety. Maybe 25 on the tree now and all super bumpy. Hope the flesh is edible. My first year to harvest so I will find out

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk