Author Topic: Who still has avocados in January and what variety  (Read 10311 times)

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
Who still has avocados in January and what variety
« on: January 22, 2012, 07:04:52 PM »
Who still has avocados in January and what variety? Also can you post a picture of your tree and rate its flavor if possible.  Also mention if you would recommend it to others and the location (city/state) where you are growing it.

Thanks,
Adiel
Adiel

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Who still has avocados in January and what variety
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 07:17:45 PM »
Who still has avocados in January and what variety? Also can you post a picture of your tree and rate its flavor if possible.  Also mention if you would recommend it to others and the location (city/state) where you are growing it.

Thanks,
Adiel

Saw a lula, on my friends tree in Loxahatchee, and it was sweet tasting when I took it home Nice, but not my favorite.

Just picked a Choquette from my friends tree in Orlando, its huge fruit and beautiful tree, supposed to taste good but havent eaten yet.

Good luck :)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 08:12:39 PM »
I still have lots of Monroe avocados on my tree.  Excellent avocado....one of the best later season Florida fruits.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 11:41:31 PM »
I know of some trees with Lula, Choquette, Monroe, as well as some other straggler varieties and I picked the last two Wurtz off a tree in a friend's yard (trees are all located in Lake Worth).

Harry - while Monroe is a very decent avocado, I find Lula to be not only one of the best late season Avocados, but I find it to be one of the best grown here in SFla.

Rob
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 12:36:14 AM »
Lula might be my favorite avocado in terms of flavor.

Unfortunately the flesh-to-seed ratio on them is rather poor.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 12:59:30 AM »
There are some avocado varieties fruiting here year round. My choquette tree that i brought from Florida is fruiting now and the fruits are huge. Latest one was close to 3 pounds. Here is a photo below. I'm sure they'll get bigger as the tree matures.Folks here like the giant avos  in Hawaii and we have many varieties that fruit that big or bigger. One of them is Linda, which is also fruiting right now. Probably the largest variety is Ota. They are like cannon balls. Some others fruiting right now are Mexicola, Sharwil, Monroe, and Green Gold.
Oscar

Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 06:36:54 AM »
Rob:

Lula is, without  question one, of the best later season avocadoes here in Florida. I grew up with one in my backyard here in So. Florida and do agree that oil content-wise, it is the best.  As Alex points out, the large seed and relatively scant flesh in comparison is its only drawback.  It also seems to finish its crop well before my Monroe tree does.  So, as of the moment, Monroe is king in my yard.  I would never throw a good Lula off the tasting table though even when up against a Monroe....especially if oil content and being "Hass-like" in flavor are important for you.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 07:15:22 AM »
My small Brogdon recently bloomed profusely.  While there seemed to be many blooms open throughout the day, I saw very little overlap between the male and female flowers.  I was told by many sources that this lone plant should produce fruit.  There was a lot of nectar with the flowers and I could detect no pollen coming off the male flowers no matter what part of the day it was.  I'm hoping that this being its first bloom had a lot to do with the lack of pollination.     :( >:(

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 08:53:36 AM »
Jay, good to hear from you.  I hope you get some avocados from your Brogdon soon.  Harry, Monroe looks like a good choice!  Thanks for the input from everyone else.

Adiel
Adiel

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 10:09:07 AM »
I still have several  choquettes. They are very tasty at the end of the season.
Oscar,
I am experimenting with Hawaiian avocados here in Fort Myers.  I have a small nishikawa and a small kahaluu. They have not fruited yet, but are growing quiete well.  John Painter, in Pine Island,  has produced some fantastic tasting nishikawas. I am thinking about growing a murashige.  My understanding is that murashige will produce in the Spring and the oil content is approx 20%.   What is your take on murashige.  I appreciate your input. Thank you!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 01:37:28 AM »
Hi Berto, Murashige is a very nice avocado. Forget the exact ripening time, but you can find it on the net. In the old days most of the farmers in Kona growing avocados were Japanese. So a lot of selections have Japanese names: Nishikawa, Yamagata, etc.  Kahaluu was rated number 1 best tasting avocado in a blind taste test in Hawaii by chefs. Malama came in second, and Linda was rated third.
Oscar
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 12:36:19 PM »
Oscar,
Thank you!
I heard very good things about Kahaluu.  I read an article that mentioned the blind test you are referring to.  I am very excited about kahaluu and many other Hawaiian avocados.  I am seaching for a nice fat avocado.  In Northeast Brasil, before going to school, I used to get an avocado shake made with whole raw milk and sugar.  That fuel lasted a long time!!!!  When I moved to California, I tasted guacamole for the first time and I thought, that a weird way of eating avocado. The bottom line is that eating is a learned behavior.  There is no right or wrong way of savoring a nice, fat avocado!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 09:07:54 AM »
My friend has a Lula.....this year it was finished by January 1st
Last year was a better Lula  harvest for him over all...... there  were Lula avocados into February though (of course) they were getting scarcer and scarcer
I like Lula....have some oil but not as greasy as Hass

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 11:42:47 AM »
We just finished our last avocado.  The tree was a seedling from something we ate.
We topped it (since as a seedling, it was tall and thin).  But the fruit was delicious, so I have tried my hand at grafting again.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 08:57:36 PM »
GwenninPr,
I am growing a Talpeno # 2 from Puerto Rico and my understanding is that talpeno is a fantastic avocado ( I am not sure about the correct spelling of talpeno/telpeno????)

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 07:46:20 AM »
GwenninPr,
I am growing a Talpeno # 2 from Puerto Rico and my understanding is that talpeno is a fantastic avocado ( I am not sure about the correct spelling of talpeno/telpeno????)
Hey Berto-
I have never actually seen that variety offered here, but that doesn't mean too much. Could be a newer one, or a re-named one  etc. Where did you find it? We have lots of varieties that you won't find much reference about.   Let us know how it tastes when it fruits.
-Gwenn

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 11:00:41 AM »
GwenninPr,
I got a grafted small "Talpeno" avocado, (with a tilt on the letter "N") from a friend who is a collecton of tropical fruits.
He said that Talpeno came from Puerto Rico.  He also said that the fruit is one of the best avocados he ever tasted.  My tree is only a couple feet tall. I briefly met a Puerto Rican man in a garden show here in Fort Myers, and he said that Talpeno avocado grows on the west coast of Puerto Rico. He was familiar with this variety.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 10:55:49 PM »
Since I am looking for an avocado cultivar that has many fruits in January,  I find it appropriate to bring this wonderfull thread back to the forefront again.
There are still a few hours left in January 2013.
So far, according to this thread, the avocado cultivar with the most fruit, this time of year, is Monroe, according to Harry.
What about Choquette? The same, less or more than Monroe?
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 11:46:53 PM »
Its now February 1...I know of Lula trees still holding fruit. 

While I agree, Monroe typically holds the fruit the latest of the usual suspects while Lula is probably;y next in line.

As for Choquette, it should be done by now but it doesn't mean somebody doesn't have a surviving fruit hanging on their tree.  From the one Nishikawa I witnessed with fruit, my guess would be that it would, or could, go as late a Lula and possibly match Monroe.
- Rob

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 01:10:59 AM »
Thanks. I think I'm definitely putting Monroe avocado, on my short list of fruit trees to obtain in the near future.
Having a good, ripe avocado, to eat in the practically barren months of January and February, is just awesome.  8)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 10:27:10 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2013, 04:49:53 PM »
Correction - Talpeno Avocado
According to Noris Ledesma, talpeno avocado is from El Salvador, not from Puerto Rico.
Furthermore, I found out that talpeno was rated a 7 in a scale from 1 to 10, by a fruit expert in Homestead, Florida. 
My tree may produce fruits next year.  Let's see how talpeno will perform is SW Florida!

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 08:12:32 AM »
According to Noris Ledesma, talpeno avocado is from El Salvador, not from Puerto Rico.
Furthermore, I found out that talpeno was rated a 7 in a scale from 1 to 10, by a fruit expert in Homestead, Florida. 
My tree may produce fruits next year.  Let's see how talpeno will perform is SW Florida!

Would that be Guatemalan or W. Indies stock?  If indigenous to the highlands I would assume it's Guatemalan.   

I'm gonna top work my Brogdon.  Planted it last year, grew like a weed this year, left one fruit on and the taste and texture was very good.  BUT, life's too short to fight a fruit that doesn't peel easily (the meat sticks to the skin) and leaves seed paper in the cavity.  Vigor is excellent.  Was pencil thin stock, now 1 1/2" or more.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:18:20 AM by Mark in Texas »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 08:32:09 AM »
You may want to give it a second season. Some times it takes a while for the fruit to get normal. Remember a grafted tree is force to bear fruit way ahead of the roots system to be ready for it.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 10:11:20 AM »
Carlos,  another issue I have is it's too vigorous.  Keep in mind my greenhouse real estate is limited.  This thing is going nuts with an obnoxious open profile and long internodes while my other stock is compact and tight.  Take the Oro Negro for example - so far it's a very small tree, very compact with short internodes and the 8 fruit its holding is bigger than my fist and absolutely gorgeous.   Never had a copper spray and no anthracnose.  I'm hoping they'll be ready next month. 

Oh, another thing I don't like about the Brogdon is the thin skin that breaks apart when you try to peel it.   Was quite amazed by the Catalinas, thought they were gonna be thin skinned and a PITA to process.  Meat almost fell out....... nice!

The root mass is very heavy with a mat of fresh white roots growing on top of the soil right under the 5" deep layer of pine needle mulch.  My trees love the pine needle mulch. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:15:47 AM by Mark in Texas »

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »
Thanks. I think I'm definitely putting Monroe avocado, on my short list of fruit trees to obtain in the near future.
Having a good, ripe avocado, to eat in the practically barren months of January and February, is just awesome.  8)

Just to make an update, I've had the 'Monroe' avocado planted for some months in this year; bought from none other than bullybs himself, so now I'm covered for avocados in the month of January. Now, I'm pampering it as much as I can so that it produces avocado fruit as quickly as possible.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 10:44:43 PM »
Remember that once you get your Monroe to a decent size to get fruit in January you need to hold off on nitrogen
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 12:18:57 AM »
That makes sense, will do, thanks.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2015, 08:13:16 PM »
any updates on the quality of talpeno?  I noticed no comments on Carlos' blog in over a year?  Berto?

Thanks
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2015, 07:54:19 PM »
Mark, did you whack back your Brogdon or? Update please! ;)

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2015, 10:11:09 PM »
Jeff,
Talpeno has performed  very well the last two years. The tree is very compact, and produces lots of delicious nutty flavored fruits.  Last year,  I started picking the fruits in  late  August.  In the first week of September, the neck of the fruits turned purple, just the neck, and the flavor improved considerably.  According to a friend that also grows Talpeno, his tree held fruits until November.  In my opinion, Talpeno is an excellent avocado for SW Florida.
I have shared a Talpeno tree with a lady from El Salvador.  She was extremely happy, and excited  when she found out that  I was growing this wonderful avocado variety here in SW Florida.
I am propagating Talpeno! Come to beautiful Fort Myers, and see it with your own eyes! 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 10:14:37 PM by Berto »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk