Author Topic: Who still has avocados in January and what variety  (Read 10317 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Re: Who still has avocados in January and what variety
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 10:44:43 PM »
Remember that once you get your Monroe to a decent size to get fruit in January you need to hold off on nitrogen
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 12:18:57 AM »
That makes sense, will do, thanks.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2015, 08:13:16 PM »
Correction - Talpeno Avocado
According to Noris Ledesma, talpeno avocado is from El Salvador, not from Puerto Rico.
Furthermore, I found out that talpeno was rated a 7 in a scale from 1 to 10, by a fruit expert in Homestead, Florida. 
My tree may produce fruits next year.  Let's see how talpeno will perform is SW Florida!
any updates on the quality of talpeno?  I noticed no comments on Carlos' blog in over a year?  Berto?

Thanks
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2015, 07:54:19 PM »
Mark, did you whack back your Brogdon or? Update please! ;)

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2015, 10:11:09 PM »
Jeff,
Talpeno has performed  very well the last two years. The tree is very compact, and produces lots of delicious nutty flavored fruits.  Last year,  I started picking the fruits in  late  August.  In the first week of September, the neck of the fruits turned purple, just the neck, and the flavor improved considerably.  According to a friend that also grows Talpeno, his tree held fruits until November.  In my opinion, Talpeno is an excellent avocado for SW Florida.
I have shared a Talpeno tree with a lady from El Salvador.  She was extremely happy, and excited  when she found out that  I was growing this wonderful avocado variety here in SW Florida.
I am propagating Talpeno! Come to beautiful Fort Myers, and see it with your own eyes! 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 10:14:37 PM by Berto »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk