Author Topic: What to do with neighbors roots  (Read 1866 times)

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
What to do with neighbors roots
« on: August 12, 2018, 10:59:25 PM »
I moved to Plantation Florida 4 years ago. But when I plant trees in soil they are competing with foridaquercus and black olive. Huge trees that roots cross all my property. Today with a big a. I made a 3 feet trench sourounding the tree. And now I m asking for opinions what to do in that trench. Thanks. Leave the hole concrete wall any idea. Thanks
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Re: What to do with neighbors roots
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 01:10:35 AM »
There are root barrier systems that are commonly used by landscape contractors. Some are coated with some type of root retardant. These are usually used to keep roots from heaving sidewalks, driveways,etc.  here is one example. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071WT1D1L/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B071WT1D1L&pd_rd_wg=bLGLl&pd_rd_r=ZKVJ5M4EBZZH5B8T4DBC&pd_rd_w=qek3N

Keep in mind that you’ll be restricting roots both ways.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 05:42:31 AM »
Nice ad.

At the bottom of the same page was an advertisement for bamboo shield, which is even thicker and resists 200 lbs of pressure and is 3 feet deep and 75 feet long.
Har

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 08:25:52 AM »
Nice ad.

At the bottom of the same page was an advertisement for bamboo shield, which is even thicker and resists 200 lbs of pressure and is 3 feet deep and 75 feet long.

Yes, I wouldn’t actually use the one in the ad I posted, it wasn’t the heavy duty version. The bamboo version is more like something I’d use. I plan on putting one around my septic system just to be safe.
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

lewisbamboo

• USA, Alabama, Oakman, Zone 7b
    • View Profile
    • Lewis Bamboo, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 09:39:38 AM »
Nice ad.

Yes, I wouldn’t actually use the one in the ad I posted, it wasn’t the heavy duty version. The bamboo version is more like something I’d use. I plan on putting one around my septic system just to be safe.
Hi there,

We are the maker of both products. Just wanted to pop in and say both brands have the 36" 100 mil material listed (200lb ASTM puncture strength). The 200lbs is enough to cover the axial tree root pressures of every study we've found. It's also important to note the objective is to direct the tree roots deeper, rather than stop them. So if installed properly (at a 10° angle) the full force of the roots should never be exerted, but it will handle it either way. We feel a little overkill is necessary, nobody wants to dig a 3ft trench twice.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 06:15:37 PM »
Maybe bury sheet metal as a barrier? I have a big ol piece you can have for free. About the size of the side of a large refrigerator.

Also what might work as a barrier is that plastic roofing fiberglass used in greenhouses. I don't know what it is called. I comes in corrugated too. Seen at Home Depot a while back

Just looked it up ------- Polycarbonate roofing panel. Might make good root barrier
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 06:19:32 PM by zands »

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 11:35:44 PM »
Nice ad.

Hi there,

We are the maker of both products. Just wanted to pop in and say both brands have the 36" 100 mil material listed (200lb ASTM puncture strength). The 200lbs is enough to cover the axial tree root pressures of every study we've found. It's also important to note the objective is to direct the tree roots deeper, rather than stop them. So if installed properly (at a 10° angle) the full force of the roots should never be exerted, but it will handle it either way. We feel a little overkill is necessary, nobody wants to dig a 3ft trench twice.

Thank you for participating.  Please continue to contribute to our forum. 
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce