Author Topic: Variegated pink lemon tree tips?  (Read 2083 times)

DoctorCitrus

• Zone 9
    • View Profile
Variegated pink lemon tree tips?
« on: October 18, 2018, 09:44:06 PM »
I just bought a beautiful variegated pink lemon tree. It’s about 7 feet tall and has 20+ lemons on it. Does anyone have any tips for keeping these trees healthy? Is the care any different than other lemon trees? It’s so beautiful, and I don’t want to mess it up, especially with winter just around the corner. I live in north Florida. I started growing citrus as a hobby about 5 months ago. Any advice is appreciated!

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Variegated pink lemon tree tips?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 12:22:57 AM »
Congratulations!   It’s a nice tree.  I have one of these but mine is only half that size.  The pink striped lemons are really novel.  Care is the same as any other citrus tree.  Are you keeping it in a container or planting in the ground?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 12:24:48 AM by brian »

DoctorCitrus

• Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 11:01:38 AM »
Planning to keep it in the container, at least for now. Is yours container or ground?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 04:16:43 PM »
Mine is in a container in a heated greenhouse.  A container is probably good for you if you have any chance of frost in the winter.  I see your zone9 low temp is ~25-30F, so you should move it indoors if there is a frost advisory.

I use osmocote plus 25-5-15 (the pink bag, most common type) to fertilize, and a free draining soil mix.  You should change the container soil every year, and move it to a bigger pot then if the roots are circling around.

Also, you may have Citrus Greening disease on your area, aka Huanglongbing.  I'm not sure how widespread it is in Florida.

DoctorCitrus

• Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 05:05:11 PM »
Thank you for the tips! I’ve never heard of citrus greening disease. Just googled it and it appears to be more common in south Florida. Still concerning though 😬

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 06:25:11 AM »
Despite your pseudo  ;)  it seems you are a beginner. Why don't you start by looking to http://citrusgrowersstatic.chez.com?
A very good place to start with (even if you are not a beginner!).

DoctorCitrus

• Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 06:06:58 PM »
Thank you Sylvain! I am a beginner. Doctoring is my day job  ;)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 06:29:53 PM »
Doctor Citrus, welcome to the forum, Hope to see you around  here for a long time.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 05:13:13 PM »
I have a much smaller one. Based on my reading they are not as vigorous as their non-variegated twins and more sensitive to cold. Zone 9 is very borderline so I'd keep it in a pot as it looks like you plan to. Beautiful tree!

In terms of fertilizer I notice little to no difference between using chemical or organics on my citrus trees threfore I'm going to stick with organics next year. Fish and kelp with an organic time release in the soil. Lots of organic fertilizers now come with higher nitrogen that citrus needs. The positive with chemical fertilizers in my opinion is convienience. Organics need frequent applications.Citrus seems to thrive with foliar feeding as well so I'd look for a good quality foliar fertilizerl.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 05:19:19 PM by Empoweredandfree »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 08:57:05 PM »
Empoweredandalone wrote.... "Lots of organic fertilizers now come with higher nitrogen that citrus needs".  What organic fertilizer has high nitrogen levels?  I've never seen one.

Citrus generally absorbs nutrients in a 5-1-3 ratio, meaning for every 5 parts nitrogen the tree also takes up 1 part phosphorous and 3 parts potassium.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 10:54:35 PM »
Dynamite organic (OMRI) time release has 10% nitrogen. Another water soluble organic (OMRI) brand called "Whitney Farms" also has a 10% nitrogen and the "5-1-3" ratios that are currently recommended. I think "IV Organics" also just released a high nitrogen organic fertilizer.

Although I hate Miracle Grow, they also have an OMRI listed water soluble organic under the Natures Care line that has 10% nitrogen with the correct ratios very similiar to the Whitney Farms product.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 10:58:49 PM by Empoweredandfree »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 10:48:39 AM »
I looked on Whitney Farms web site and did not see a 10 percent N organic fertilizer, nor one with a 5-1-3 nutrient ratio.  Organic fertilizers would be acceptable with in ground trees,  because of the high content of organisms in the soil that break down organic fertilizers making them available to plants, but not for container grown trees.  This is because the medium in containers does not contain the required organisms that can break down organic fertilizers, thus they do not become available to the plant.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 02:31:52 PM »
I looked on Whitney Farms web site and did not see a 10 percent N organic fertilizer, nor one with a 5-1-3 nutrient ratio.  Organic fertilizers would be acceptable with in ground trees,  because of the high content of organisms in the soil that break down organic fertilizers making them available to plants, but not for container grown trees.  This is because the medium in containers does not contain the required organisms that can break down organic fertilizers, thus they do not become available to the plant.

I saw no difference but thats just been my observation outdoors in the summer...I think outdoors there are plenty of microorganisms in containers. Humic acid and EM-1 would also help facilitate nutrient availability with either organic or non organic nutrients.

**The Whitney Farms product also is extremely low in heavy metals which is a positive. However, aside from calcium and sulfer there are no other micro or trace elements.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 02:46:11 PM by Empoweredandfree »