Author Topic: Jackfruit Berried Treasure  (Read 12223 times)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Jackfruit Berried Treasure
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 10:38:29 AM »
I wonder if Excalibur or Fairchild collections have either of these?
Har

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 12:35:36 PM »
I wonder if Excalibur or Fairchild collections have either of these?

I doubt they do. They will probably have them in the near future though.

jimreevescairns

• Cairns, Far North Queensland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 10:14:14 PM »
Hi Mike
PM sent
Jim from Cairns

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 02:09:44 PM »
For those who prefer sloppy yellows with small bulbs and abundance of latex and bland taste I suggest an Australian Jackfruit by the name of galaxy.It's name is a byword for bad quality here.Oscar I am 70% sure that it was Berry and not Galaxy that I sent you.

what i call galaxy and bought as galaxy is nothing like that. it is excellent. .. not sloppy..but not crispy tight either.... what i want to know is there anyone out there who loves durian but hates sloppy jaks?
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
For those who prefer sloppy yellows with small bulbs and abundance of latex and bland taste I suggest an Australian Jackfruit by the name of galaxy.It's name is a byword for bad quality here.Oscar I am 70% sure that it was Berry and not Galaxy that I sent you.

what i call galaxy and bought as galaxy is nothing like that. it is excellent. .. not sloppy..but not crispy tight either.... what i want to know is there anyone out there who loves durian but hates sloppy jaks?

Sloppy? That is a put down already! I don't consider jacks sloppy, just some have wonderful soft texture. Certainly they are not as sloppy as most mangos! Is there anyone who likes mangos who doesn't like soft jacks, and WHY? Really i think a lot of our likes and dislikes have mostly to do with what we were exposed to as infants and children, nothing really rational.
Oscar

Recher

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2013, 11:27:02 PM »
Galaxy has come back to me. What I bought as Galaxy..grafted sold by Fitzroy Nursry if recall right.... excellent quality fruit...not sloppy.. co-favourite here with the ice box one i have raved about... fruiting seedlings from the best jak i ate in java are strikingly similiar to galaxy in fruit and tree morphology..

i regret none of my jaks are sloppy / durianesque type 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2013, 12:02:44 AM »
I like the new word you coin "durianesque". But texture of good durian is nothing like soft jacks. To me the texture of a good durian is very light and creamy.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2013, 01:30:13 AM »
I have done my time with sloppies and the Golds for that matter.Galaxy is not even a solar system let alone a star and there are way better jacks about.I think on the streets of KL or Bangkok Galaxy would be met with something less than enthusiasm.I think good thick fleshed chempedaks may be contrued as durianesque in texture, well kinda, but not jacks.

Recher

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2013, 08:19:06 PM »
Back to the gist.. what you described asI won't forget to photo Galaxy is not what comes off the grafted tree I bought as Galaxy. Next time I get fruit I won't forget to photo

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2018, 10:54:07 PM »
Just wondering if Micah or Oscar have fruited their berry jack seedlings yet (or anyone else here in HI)?  I tried a google search of the forum but didn't find any posts.  My bigger berry jack seedling is loaded with flowers, I'm hoping it holds a fruit or two this year.

John

Fruitdork

• Honokaa Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2018, 10:36:19 AM »
Aloha everyone!
Our trees here also have flowers second year of them.  No fruits yet.
Floods/wild horses/ and pigs did a bunch of damage to those ambers and berry trees.
I post when they do set fruit
Thanks again Mike T!

Micah

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2018, 06:49:30 PM »
One of the members here  Frank - gave me a few seedling of the Amber he crossed with a MAI3 about 18 inchs tall not - lost one due to cold i think
 the last few weeks,
Www.sailing-charters.org

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2018, 04:32:46 PM »
It has been a rough year with a rainy spring and then a near miss by a hurricane that dumped about 4' of water here in a couple of days.  My berry jack has been a trooper though, blooming throughout (& still blooming now).  It is carrying 3 fairly large (8-10") fruits now, several smaller ones (probably 5-6") and several blossoms; it is looking pretty promising that I'll have some to taste this year.  I have another berry seedling that seems to be much less vigorous (at least so far).  I also have a Ziman Pink that was a larger, grafted tree.  This berry jack has blown by that tree in growth and is carrying fruit while the Ziman has blasted all the fruit the past two years.  The bigger fruits are not the prettiest I have seen but I am hoping that will taste as good as the mother tree in Aus that Mike T was so good to send seed from.

Pics of the bigger fruits:

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2018, 05:55:27 PM »
If anyone has this fruiting in the US I would like to purchase some seeds as they become available. I have some seedlings of an Amber seedling going that I have high hopes for. I even planted one out in a public fruit planting.  8)
-Josh