Author Topic: Australian Finger Lime Culture  (Read 9041 times)

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
Re: Australian Finger Lime Culture
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2019, 01:03:33 AM »
It seems after the bibliography that you can expect up to 60g for each fruit but 20-30g are more common values. Having more seeds would translate to bigger fruits probably

I would be thrilled to get into the 20-30g range. 20-25g is about the size of a kumquat which is much larger than the fruits I have seen so far on my little tree. The 12g Pvaldes mentioned is what I'm seeing on mine. If anyone is getting 60g finger limes, please post the cultivar. I'd love to get that variety.

Pademelon1

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2019, 07:11:51 AM »
Either your kumquats are massive or you guys in the US have really poor finger lime genetic material. Most finger limes I see over here are around double the size of a kumquat, and that's not limited to one or two varieties.

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2019, 10:01:40 AM »
I'm speculating, but could be a problem of lack of pollination. On the other hand, not having seeds in the fruit is great

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2019, 06:13:02 PM »
UPDATE. A couple of lime finger misteries solved.

1) The 60g fruits is not a myth. Lime fingers definitely can make much bigger fruits. I had seen one last weekend, in the middle of a shrub loaded with standard fruits. More than double of the standard width.

2) I did some research about the strange RodneyS plant with leaves very different from Microcitrus australasica. Definitely NOT the common australian finger lime...

I was given an Australian Finger Lime from a friend.  I belive it's the green kind.  Can't wait to try those citrus pellets

... BUT, can be still a finger lime.

Probably one hybrid from the species Citrus wintersii (formerly called Microcitrus papuana). If that, RodneyS could expect mint-green finger lime fruits with whitish green crystals.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 06:23:28 PM by pvaldes »

Standardbloke

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2019, 06:16:26 PM »
Mine fruited in last 6 weeks and size is already 2 inches. You think it will continue to mature bigger as it gets to harvest in fall?

If you dig around, there used to be a guy on here that collected them in the wild. The long and short of it is, the bigger the plant, the bigger the fruit. Certainly this is true of my trees.

Pademelon1

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2019, 08:16:49 PM »
UPDATE. A couple of lime finger misteries solved.

1) The 60g fruits is not a myth. Lime fingers definitely can make much bigger fruits. I had seen one last weekend, in the middle of a shrub loaded with standard fruits. More than double of the standard width.

2) I did some research about the strange RodneyS plant with leaves very different from Microcitrus australasica. Definitely NOT the common australian finger lime...

I was given an Australian Finger Lime from a friend.  I belive it's the green kind.  Can't wait to try those citrus pellets

... BUT, can be still a finger lime.

Probably one hybrid from the species Citrus wintersii (formerly called Microcitrus papuana). If that, RodneyS could expect mint-green finger lime fruits with whitish green crystals.

This reminds me of some of the hybrids that have been developed, like the red-centre lime and the sunrise lime