Author Topic: Is dog urine harmful to lychee trees?  (Read 2340 times)

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
Is dog urine harmful to lychee trees?
« on: August 29, 2016, 08:55:58 PM »
Hi, I recently noticed that my lychees have been burning up part of their leaves, but putting out a new growth flush, and i just spotted my dog peeing near the tree. Do you guys have any solutions on minimizing the damage, thanks. Also I changed the soil up until the rootball.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Is dog urine harmful to lychee trees?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 10:51:06 PM »
I finally figured out my burnt leaves and even death of a few trees was being caused by the 7% chlorine in the synthetic fertilizer I use to use.
Last year I fertilized a small lychee tree and burned all the leaves off. This year I have only applied organic fertilizer mostly horse or rabbit manure and both of my lychees are nice and green with no burnt leaves. I also like fish emulsion which I made myself this year. In my yard I am more worried about high ph which urea found in urine helps lower. I also add allot of mulch and coffee grounds around my trees. I don't think dog urine would hurt your trees unless you over did it. For me lychees, avocados, COR, seem to really be affected by the synthetic fertilizer

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 11:21:12 PM »
oh thank god....

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 02:02:31 AM »
They will do damage if your dog does it on a regular basis. Might not hurt larger trees but smaller in ground or potted plants will take a major dislike to it.

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 02:16:40 AM »
Sorry, but I found the title of this post to be HILARIOUS. ;D
Anisha

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 03:30:35 AM »
Plants are literally supposed to be urinated on and defecated on because they are in nature so plants have adapted to take advantage of those nutrients.

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 05:21:00 AM »
Yeah but not in excess, in small doses it is fine but if you are talking about plants in a yard copping it every day then it is a different story to nature. I have a male dog 50kgs in weight and he picks certain plants of mine to mark and those plants might cop it ten or so times a day, give them a week or two and the leaves start yellowing and if left they die within a month. His favourites are Eugenia pitanga and pitangatuba. Dont know why only them but i have lost several from him marking them. If you had a big paddock planted then maybe it would be different story if trees weren't getting dosed up as often.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 01:45:39 PM »
I suspect that this could be a problem as male dogs like to continually mark the same spots to stake out their territory.  It is a common problem for dog urine to burn out grass.  They make products (food additives, maybe treats, etc) that are supposed to minimize this.  I don't know if they would help with trees but I suspect so if they are effective for grass.  You could try locally or check an on line supply house like petedge.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk