Author Topic: Grumichama, Pitomba, Loquat, & Macadamia In SoFlo  (Read 1243 times)

horseshoe_bayou

• as you sow, so shall you reap.
    • U.S.A, FL, west palm beach, 10b
    • View Profile
Grumichama, Pitomba, Loquat, & Macadamia In SoFlo
« on: June 03, 2020, 10:01:18 AM »
Grumichama, Pitomba, Loquat, & Macadamia nuts growing is SoFlo. Is it worth growing these fruits if you've got the room? never tasted a grumichama or pitomba.  And what varieties of Loquat & Macadamia nut trees perform best in 10b. I dont want to make the mistake I made with my sweetheart lychee that never produces anything but leaves. Looking for varieties that will fruit reliably. So who's growing them and what are your thoughts?
Mic

Budtropicals

• Largest collection in the smallest yard!
    • South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Grumichama, Pitomba, Loquat, & Macadamia In SoFlo
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 11:25:05 AM »
Grumichama, Pitomba, Loquat, & Macadamia nuts growing is SoFlo. Is it worth growing these fruits if you've got the room? never tasted a grumichama or pitomba.  And what varieties of Loquat & Macadamia nut trees perform best in 10b. I dont want to make the mistake I made with my sweetheart lychee that never produces anything but leaves. Looking for varieties that will fruit reliably. So who's growing them and what are your thoughts?

Grumichama and Pitomba aren't large trees, and it is encouraged that you keep them small anyways. If you ask me, 100% worth it. They taste great especially if picked perfectly ripe.  I don't know much about which loquat variety because I only have one, but I believe that loquats can stand cold, so any variety you want will work. As for macadamia, i don't know. I was thinking of growing it myself but I feel like its not worth it. 

Oh and about your lychee, it should have done just fine where you are. You probably got one from seed, those take at minimum a decade to fruit, but sometimes much more. Either way, lychee isn't a reliable fruiter, some years you get fruit, others you don't. But I encourage you to get a grafted or air layered lychee, the fruits are very much worth it!

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 11:32:20 AM »
I highly recommend Grumichama. You can grow it as a large bush, hedge or small tree. The fruit are best when eaten black in color. They look over ripe but that is when they taste great.

Bill

horseshoe_bayou

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 11:36:30 AM »
I highly recommend Grumichama. You can grow it as a large bush, hedge or small tree. The fruit are best when eaten black in color. They look over ripe but that is when they taste great.

Bill
it is a grafted lychee, probably 8' tall now and about 4 years old. it's flowered before, but no fruit.
Mic

Budtropicals

• Largest collection in the smallest yard!
    • South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 11:42:41 AM »
It could still take a bit longer. Also remember, they don't always fruit, especially when they are younger, so I would not be worried about it.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 09:08:38 PM »
Everyone has there own preferences. I have all 4 of those trees.
I have found some big differences between the seedlings.
I have dug up 1 grumichama and 1 pitomba that didn't do well.
I have others worth keeping. Loquat is not my favorite but some
of the types produce early in the Spring when not much is around.
The trees can get huge
I recently got some rare cultivars of macadamia and I ate some this
year that were dehydrated and they were the best nuts I have ever
eaten beside pistachios. I really want to grow them and I have 5 young
trees now.

horseshoe_bayou

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 09:28:50 AM »
I recently got some rare cultivars of macadamia and I ate some this
year that were dehydrated and they were the best nuts I have ever
eaten beside pistachios. I really want to grow them and I have 5 young
trees now.

what are the cultivars? and do you know if there's one that will do well here in SoFlo?
Mic

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 06:08:48 PM »
There was a man that had a macadamia tree farm next door to where I had a cricket farm.
He was able to get permits to obtain rare types from Australia. He would never sell me any of the
best trees unless I bought 2000+ trees and signed a non propagation agreement. Well he
died and the new owner has one of the old employees working for him and I was able to get
3 of the best ones and also 2 trees that lost their tags. I haven't seen the worker since the virus
but my neighbor wanted 3 trees and the last time I talked to the worker they were holding all
the trees for future breeding stock? I went by there and they have allot of airlayers going. I will try
and check next week and see if there are trees available. The trees will do great for you but they are
ph sensitive trees. They don't like cold and you are better off then me in 9b and they do all right
here.