Author Topic: Growing Chucte (Persea schiedeana) Relative of Avocado  (Read 29307 times)

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Chucte (Persea schiedeana) Relative of Avocado
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2017, 10:14:40 AM »
Its only a guess, Oscars seemed to fruit no problems. But might be worth a shot.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2017, 08:11:30 PM »
I can't get this to hold fruit here in bokeelia does it not like lowland heat humid?Had it since 2005 from budwood from frankies but fruit abort at nickel size.Pollination?
Are you referring to the chucte or the malama avocado? Which one did you get from Frankies?
If the chucte, yes it is a highland fruit.
Oscar

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2017, 11:17:05 AM »
Oscar, I'm really interested to find out how the Chucte fruit ended up tasting.  (If it has ripened.)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2017, 04:21:01 AM »
Oscar, I'm really interested to find out how the Chucte fruit ended up tasting.  (If it has ripened.)
I guess you didn't see this? http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4481.msg290725#msg290725
Ate lots of them. They are very rich in oil, between 25 and 28%, compared to between 7 and 21% for avocados. The taste is very nice. Main problem is they go bad really fast once ripe, don't keep as well as avos.
Oscar

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2017, 12:52:03 PM »
I guess you didn't see this? http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4481.msg290725#msg290725
Ate lots of them. They are very rich in oil, between 25 and 28%, compared to between 7 and 21% for avocados. The taste is very nice. Main problem is they go bad really fast once ripe, don't keep as well as avos.

Oops, sorry I missed it!  That sounds great.  Was the flavor avocado-onion like or avocado-coconut like?  (Those were the two flavors that were described in the Jay Bost research papers.)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2017, 08:58:36 PM »

Oops, sorry I missed it!  That sounds great.  Was the flavor avocado-onion like or avocado-coconut like?  (Those were the two flavors that were described in the Jay Bost research papers.)
Would not describe the flavor in either of those ways. Would just say it tastes like a very rich (oily) avocado. But keep in mind there is a lot of diversity inside this species, and the ones Jay tasted were different than what i have.
Oscar

Tlaloc

• https://www.instagram.com/laloscorner/
    • Spacex, CA 10B and EAFB 8B
    • View Profile
    • Lalo's Corner
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2021, 12:06:15 PM »
I grafted coyo on a avocado rootstock earlier this year. And I recently got chucte seeds from Oscar. I am hoping they too sprout so I can regraft that coyo onto its own seedling for safe keeping.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 12:09:30 PM by Tlaloc »

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2021, 07:16:28 PM »
I grafted coyo on a avocado rootstock earlier this year. And I recently got chucte seeds from Oscar. I am hoping they too sprout so I can regraft that coyo onto its own seedling for safe keeping.

Picked up some seeds from Oscar earlier this month. 4/5 seeds have sprouted in just 20 days,

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2021, 08:26:15 PM »
Seedlings from seed planted 10/8/21

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2021, 01:58:22 AM »
Great you were able to get them growing. Suggest planting in ground or transplant to bigger pot soon. They grow very fast, much faster and more vigorous than regular avocado given the right situation.
Oscar