Author Topic: My mango trees are finally going into the ground!  (Read 7184 times)

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
My mango trees are finally going into the ground!
« on: April 14, 2016, 10:54:45 PM »
After several years of growing my mango trees in pots I am finally planting them in the ground.  On the left are newer varieties Fruit Punch, Lemon Zest, Sweet Tart and Gary (a parent of many new Zill varieties).  On the right are oldy but goodies Edward, Maha Chanok, Southern Blush and an open spot for Dot.  I plan on following Fairchild's fertilizer and pruning advice to keep them small.

Bill

darkcoolboo

• Tucson, AZ - USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: My mango trees are finally going into the ground!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 12:09:28 AM »
(deleted)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:30:00 PM by darkcoolboo »

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 01:36:13 AM »
Congrats Bill!
Looking good.  Great new variety side.  Interesting...no Coconut Cream...but the parent Gary.
Warren

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 07:37:04 AM »
If the left is for the "newer" varieties,  than Gary should be on the right side.  Gary is the paternal part of Coconut Cream,  with Edward being the maternal.

Just curious,  are those on Florida rootstock or Manila /California?
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 08:25:12 AM »
Looks great Bill. You've planned well I'm sure your patience  is going to pay off.....good luck!

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 11:34:47 AM »

Very Nice! Best of luck with all your mangoes...they should grow quicker now also :o)

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 11:41:56 AM »
Ditto to what BSBullie asked .about the rootstock.
I would be quite surprised if you do not put them on Manila or Autulfo rootstock at the suggestion of Behl and JF in past posts. Even for me here in AZ I placed three seedling  manila trees last October and the growth has been a lot better than the Florida Rootstocks trees I bought in the past . Just saying you guys in California should be choosing to get your trees from Behl and JF.
I hope you will reconsider if you haven't. To me the Florida Rootstock just doesn't thrive in our climate ( dry - mostly hot , very little humidity  and rain also the soil .... just my 2 cents.

Still not too late to get the proper rootstocks in the ground.. could always sell those Florida ones .....

Mike in the desert

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 03:31:07 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  The trees are spaced at a little over seven feet and I will let them get about 7.5-8 feet wide.  I plan on following Fairchild's advice to keep the trees small.  That include low nitrogen and annual pruning.  We will see if it works.  I figure if it works in Florida it should work in California with a slower and shorter growth season.

These trees are on Florida rootstock.  I have already experienced the droopy growth habit that others have discussed here.  But my thinking is to keep them on this rootstock because it also should help keep their growth slower.  Between the low to no Nitrogen and the rootstock I'm hoping 7-8 feet is realistic.

I wanted to plant a Coconut Cream or other new Zill variety but I like the Gary fruit so much I decided to plant it instead.  I consider it the parent watching over it's children.

Bill

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 03:40:24 PM »
Bill - there is a problem with your rationale,  Gary is not a parent to any of the trees you planted.
- Rob

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 03:54:03 PM »
Yes I guess that is a problem.  But I am correct in that Gary was used extensively in the Zill cross pollinating process.  Right?

Bill

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 05:10:48 PM »
Yes I guess that is a problem.  But I am correct in that Gary was used extensively in the Zill cross pollinating process.  Right?

Bill

Yes, it was used a lot.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 05:13:06 PM »

Bill

Yes!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 05:56:56 PM »
    Wow ! Your yard looks way different from when I seen it . You've been really working hard to get it ready . Good luck with your trees .

William

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 06:46:37 PM »
cool backyard

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 10:23:19 PM »
Love the stonework.
Shane

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2016, 12:50:37 AM »
Thanks for the compliments guys.  I wanted a real stone wall in my backyard so now I have one.

Bill

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2016, 03:57:03 AM »
This is my poor man's version of the stone (plastic gallon) wall. Good thing about it is that it's not heavy to move it around.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2016, 10:16:34 AM »
Thanks for the compliments guys.  I wanted a real stone wall in my backyard so now I have one.

Bill

Bill
The cinder block wall will help now you gotta replace that Dot with an Edgar or Zinc much easier to grow here

Another excellent mango is dupuis Saigon. I have a few of our own seedlings and Indian varieties that are excellent you will get to sample in the summer in our tasting so I would hold off on Dot
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 10:26:01 AM by JF »

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 12:41:34 PM »
JF, I hear what you are saying but I really like Dot.  I'm going to give it another try if it dies then I will get to replace it with another new yummy Zill variety.  I have been interested in the Dupuis Saigon for a while.  It sounds very good and is early.  I also like that not many people grow it.

Bill

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2016, 01:56:44 PM »
Yes, your yard looks impressive! I like your good looking custom built stone wall!
You must have spent lots of time and labor to get it built that sturdy and looking pretty!

Looks like those mango trees will get ample sunshine all day long too...!I have the same limitation
as you: space; when our trees become bigger they will pose some challenge for me too.

Sure looks different yard than the last photo I saw. Good luck, Bill!
Sam

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2016, 02:38:21 PM »
Bill, the varieties you selected are all very good. The varieties will definitely do better on Manilla rootstock but the more vigorous varieties will be ok on Florida rootstock if you prune it correctly. If you've had these trees in pots for several years, look out for encircling roots. Please keep us updated on your wonderful selection of mango trees!

Simon

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2016, 05:29:03 PM »
Thanks for the advice Simon. I think all of my varieties are some what vigorous. If in the future certain ones are experiencing dieback and not thriving I can then graft it onto Manila. I'm scared that if I grafted these varieties onto Manila I won't be able to control their growth once established.

I ordered my Dot today and they also had Cushman available. I couldn't control myself and I ordered it. I will plant it instead of the Southern Blush. I have always wanted a Cushman. My last Cushman from Top Tropicals was mid labled and ended up being something else. Hopefully this one is the real deal. Now I have Harry's original MVP's plus four other excellent varieties.

Bill

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2016, 05:37:21 PM »
Dot is a luscious mango--juicy and sweet to the extreme with a peachy flavor.  One of the best I tasted last summer.  I wish you all the luck in growing it.  (The Cushman I tasted, on the other hand, was mediocre.)

I lived in South Gate when I was a kid.  Not far from Long Beach.  Same soil as you have.  Man, was it productive in growing the very best-tasting vegetables!  We weren't into fruit trees, but we had a Hass avocado and a Babcock peach.  In the neighborhood were Fuerte avocados, Hachiya persimmons, Black Mission figs, and apricots.  All were outstanding.  My relatives in the San Fernando Valley had Santa Rosa and Satsuma plums and nectarines--unbelievably good.  Summer was heaven!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 06:01:24 PM by johnb51 »
John

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2016, 10:17:00 PM »
I am also not a fan of Cushman.  It has a strange aftertaste that is mild, but makes me want to spit it out...I realize I am in the minority on this one, but my wife and I agree after trying it 3 different years, from several different places.  Dot on the other hand, rocks! (if you can control for disease as  understand it)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2016, 11:46:52 PM »
I am also not a fan of Cushman.  It has a strange aftertaste that is mild, but makes me want to spit it out...I realize I am in the minority on this one, but my wife and I agree after trying it 3 different years, from several different places.  Dot on the other hand, rocks! (if you can control for disease as  understand it)
Come to think of it, you're right.  It does have a weird aftertaste.
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk