Author Topic: Liquid Copper Fungicide...  (Read 23881 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Liquid Copper Fungicide...
« on: March 12, 2016, 09:41:25 AM »
Just got done spraying my mango blooms ( I know I should have done it sooner) but got lazy. All the trees are in bloom though only 10%-15% of them are open now. My question is when I spray again in 7-10 days which is what the directions says, I'm thinking a lot more of them will be open by then...can I spray the open blooms? How many applications and how long between treatments?

What are your experience with spraying the open blooms with Liquid Copper Fungicide...

Thanks in advance for all for the advise and help! You guys are great, I always appreciate the helpful advise  ;D

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Liquid Copper Fungicide...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 10:17:00 AM »
If you  are going to use fungicide use the best in the business, quadris. This is systemic the strawberry growers in the Central Valley have been using this awhile . You can drench or foliar spray,. A word of warming it's extremely expensive

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 10:59:44 AM »
If you  are going to use fungicide use the best in the business, quadris. This is systemic the strawberry growers in the Central Valley have been using this awhile . You can drench or foliar spray,. A word of warming it's extremely expensive

Never heard of that one but it really looks good.

My go-to is Pristine and Rally, both very broad spectrum and what I use on my vineyard and other stuff. Pristine is expensive but goes a long way.

BTW, I never spray my avocados and have this black to greyish splotchy look on many avocado branches.  Doesn't seem to hurt them as the tissue underneath is green.  Have any clue what that might be?  The Sharwil is covered and not pushing when it should be, plus there's a lot of die back. Am beginning to get a bit concerned.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 12:15:13 PM »
Nancy - do not spray open flowers.
- Rob

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 01:19:26 PM »
Thanks all!

Joe, thanks for the recommendation, a little out of my price range (actually a lot over,lol...)

Mark, no idea what you might have but maybe someone here can chime in and help you...I would think spraying it with fungicide won't hurt it?

Thanks Rob! Should I wait till the blooms have teeny mangoes before I spray again? If not when...

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 01:27:45 PM »
. . .
Thanks Rob! Should I wait till the blooms have teeny mangoes before I spray again? If not when...
Good question.  My Cogshall is heavy with blooms at various stages.  Unopened buds, open flowers, and some BB's.  I noticed one grey stalk this morning that appeared to be powdery mildew.  I was thinking of spraying this evening. 

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 07:53:03 AM »
Yup, definitely the time of year to spray...Hopefully, it won't spread too quickly. I know I need to spray again. I'm hoping most of the blooms will survive before the fungus gets out of control  :(

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 12:02:33 PM »
I'm hesitant to spray prophylactic copper, as none of my trees have been sick. I'm looking into some natural prevention / control measures. Has anyone tried them with success?

http://www.growingagreenerworld.com/controlling-or-eliminating-powdery-mildew/

Regards,

Gary

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 01:46:04 PM »
I've been spraying a copper and sulfur mix about once a week during bloom season. Copper soap (copper octanoate) and micronized sulfur are both OMRI listed (ie, organic) products. And with a mister, the amount of product needed is miniscule (I can cover my entire grove of ~30 mango trees -- some 20 feet tall -- with under 2 gallons of mix). So the potential for copper buildup is essentially nil, and in the case of sulfur is not even a concern.

I haven't been paying attention to bloom cycle, and I haven't noticed any detriment by spraying open flowers. I also haven't found any literature suggesting that it's harmful (most literature suggests spraying at regular intervals, eg, once per week without regard to bloom stage). I do however, spray at dusk, as both products have the potential for phytotoxicity.

Like Gary, I too was initially averse to using any sort of "chemical" to control fungal issues. However, in talking with Har and researching the topic, I've come to realize that the use of "bio-sensible" products (as Har calls it) is essential to maintaining a healthy and productive orchard. At present, the only 2 "chemicals" we use are copper soap and sulfur, and their use has had a dramatic impact on both tree health and production.

Jeff  :-)

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 02:08:33 PM »
I've been spraying a copper and sulfur mix about once a week during bloom season. Copper soap (copper octanoate) and micronized sulfur are both OMRI listed (ie, organic) products. And with a mister, the amount of product needed is miniscule (I can cover my entire grove of ~30 mango trees -- some 20 feet tall -- with under 2 gallons of mix). So the potential for copper buildup is essentially nil, and in the case of sulfur is not even a concern.

I haven't been paying attention to bloom cycle, and I haven't noticed any detriment by spraying open flowers. I also haven't found any literature suggesting that it's harmful (most literature suggests spraying at regular intervals, eg, once per week without regard to bloom stage). I do however, spray at dusk, as both products have the potential for phytotoxicity.

Like Gary, I too was initially averse to using any sort of "chemical" to control fungal issues. However, in talking with Har and researching the topic, I've come to realize that the use of "bio-sensible" products (as Har calls it) is essential to maintaining a healthy and productive orchard. At present, the only 2 "chemicals" we use are copper soap and sulfur, and their use has had a dramatic impact on both tree health and production.

What type of mister are you using?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 02:16:25 PM »
I'm using a solo 451. It's pricey (nearly a grand with the optional pump), so not recommended for a smaller collection. But, I absolutely adore it and consider it to be one of my best purchases. I can apply product to a 20 foot tree in about 30 seconds, and coverage is better (since what comes out is a very fine mist vs a spray). I've used other applicators in the past, including a manual backpack sprayer, hose end sprayer, and a fimco battery powered sprayer. The mister is light years better in my opinion. Spraying fungicide used to be a major chore. But, as Mark (In Texas) pointed out: sprayers are a personal thing.

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 02:42:29 PM »
I've been spraying a copper and sulfur mix about once a week during bloom season. 

Thanks very much, I had read that spraying excessively with copper would pollute the ground under the drip line. I'll get some copper octanoate
and have a go at it!

Regards,

Gary

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 04:57:40 PM »
Yes, that is true. But, copper octanoate has less than 1/4 the amount of copper that of liquid copper fungicide, and if you apply it sparingly, it shouldn't be an issue. I'm using 1/2 cup of copper octanoate to cover my entire mango orchard (about 1/2 acre), which translates to about 2 milliliters of actual copper (about 1/15th of an ounce). Every so often, I send soil samples off to the lab, and as of the last test, my soil was actually slightly lacking in copper (4.7 m3-ppm).

An avocado farmer might just drench his orchard with indiscriminate amounts of copper fungicide, which over time would lead to copper build-up. Even the organically grown hass avocadoes from the super market have a thick film of copper soap on them, so I question how wisely they are applying the product :-). But, I think most of our soil down here is actually lacking in copper, so application is a good thing. This is similar to boron, in which small amounts increase crop set, but larger amounts can lead to toxicity. The key is to be smart about it.

I'll keep you posted on the results of my soil samples. I may send one off next week.

I've been spraying a copper and sulfur mix about once a week during bloom season. 

Thanks very much, I had read that spraying excessively with copper would pollute the ground under the drip line. I'll get some copper octanoate
and have a go at it!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 05:05:41 PM »
Ohh and PS -- If you look at a bag of florida palm fertilizer, it will have somewhere around a quarter ounce of copper in it :-).

And, don't forget sulfur. Right now, with these cooler evenings, we're ripe for powdery mildew infection. And, sulfur is actually a good thing -- it acidifies the soil :-). I regularly use 50 pound bags of it to drop the ph.

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 07:32:53 PM »
For powdery mildew, is copper or sulphur preferred?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 10:15:21 PM »
Sulfur as far as I know.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 10:39:15 PM »
Sulfur as far as I know.

Jeff, is there any sprayer that you would recommend for spraying sulfur? Something that doesn't cost a bomb?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 06:42:04 AM »
Ohh and PS -- If you look at a bag of florida palm fertilizer, it will have somewhere around a quarter ounce of copper in it :-).

And, don't forget sulfur. Right now, with these cooler evenings, we're ripe for powdery mildew infection. And, sulfur is actually a good thing -- it acidifies the soil :-). I regularly use 50 pound bags of it to drop the ph.

What cooler evenings?   Overnight temps in the mid to upper 60s, its not really a prime breeding ground for powdery mildew.   
- Rob

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 08:01:08 AM »
I'm confused about the whole sulfur and copper fungicide treatments,lol...

While doing some research I found this Bonide ( Liquid Copper Fungicide) that says it can be used on Powdery Mildew?
http://www.bonide.com/assets/Products/Labels/l775.pdf

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 08:04:57 AM »
I'm confused about the whole sulfur and copper fungicide treatments,lol...

While doing some research I found this Bonide ( Liquid Copper Fungicide) that says it can be used on Powdery Mildew?
http://www.bonide.com/assets/Products/Labels/l775.pdf

Many years ago people used copper to treat PM.  Like humans and taking penicillin, copper ceased to be effective for the treatment of PM.  Sulfur is now the "drug of choice" for treating PM.
- Rob

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 08:34:49 AM »

I have started to see PW on Ugly Betty in my yard.  The rest of the trees have not been affected.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 11:38:29 AM »
See http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/PD-46.pdf (among others):

"The environmental conditions for spread of powdery mildew occur across a broad daily range of temperature (50–88°F, 10–31°C) and relative humidity (60–90%)."

My neighbors have had powdery mildew breakout.

What cooler evenings?   Overnight temps in the mid to upper 60s, its not really a prime breeding ground for powdery mildew.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 11:44:32 AM »
One of those manual solo sprayers would probably work well, as long as your trees aren't too tall. If your tree is over 12 feet, it becomes really hard to hit the top portion of the canopy. I was using a 6 - 10 foot extension for mine, but it was a pain in the neck.

Sulfur as far as I know.

Jeff, is there any sprayer that you would recommend for spraying sulfur? Something that doesn't cost a bomb?

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 12:59:48 PM »

Being a commercial niche farmer I've been thru a few, including the "better" ones like Solo.  Have had a Smith for a few years and love it and the lifetime guaranty.  Need a part that you just broke?  Call them up and you'll have it in a few days.  150 psi, moveable handle, comfortable and what's crazy is it's sold at Lowe's.  Stihl is supposed to be a good one too.  Never had one though.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_21086-1306-190359_0__?productId=4514296

And for the REAL man's man, can't beat a Jacto air blaster.  This will make spraying 10 acres a "breeze".

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 01:14:49 PM »

http://www.lowes.com/pd_21086-1306-190359_0__?productId=4514296

And for the REAL man's man, can't beat a Jacto air blaster.  This will make spraying 10 acres a "breeze".

Saayyy... it looks like if you had one an airboat could be pressed into duty :-)

Regards,

Gary