Author Topic: Liquid Copper Fungicide...  (Read 24175 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Liquid Copper Fungicide...
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2016, 03:26:13 PM »

Thanks Rob, makes sense.

Jeff, are there any brands that you can recommend ( big box store or amazon) for sulphur? Its good to hear you haven't seen any damage to spraying the open blooms, good to hear. Also do you mix Copper and Sulphur in the same tank or spray individually one week apart?

Thanks!!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2016, 04:48:52 PM »
:-) Yah, that definitely looks a little more beastly than the backpack sprayer.

And for the REAL man's man, can't beat a Jacto air blaster.  This will make spraying 10 acres a "breeze".

Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2016, 04:50:51 PM »
Bonide makes copper soap and micronized sulfur. Both are available on Amazon. I mix the two in the same tank. I don't know if the same is true for liquid copper fungicide + sulfur though.

Thanks Rob, makes sense.

Jeff, are there any brands that you can recommend ( big box store or amazon) for sulphur? Its good to hear you haven't seen any damage to spraying the open blooms, good to hear. Also do you mix Copper and Sulphur in the same tank or spray individually one week apart?

Thanks!!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2016, 08:09:48 PM »
Jeff, is there any sprayer that you would recommend for spraying sulfur? Something that doesn't cost a bomb?

Being a commercial niche farmer I've been thru a few, including the "better" ones like Solo.  Have had a Smith for a few years and love it and the lifetime guaranty.  Need a part that you just broke?  Call them up and you'll have it in a few days.  150 psi, moveable handle, comfortable and what's crazy is it's sold at Lowe's.  Stihl is supposed to be a good one too.  Never had one though.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_21086-1306-190359_0__?productId=4514296

And for the REAL man's man, can't beat a Jacto air blaster.  This will make spraying 10 acres a "breeze".

Mark I thought you had an electrostatic sprayer?
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2016, 08:18:06 PM »
Bonide makes copper soap and micronized sulfur. Both are available on Amazon. I mix the two in the same tank. I don't know if the same is true for liquid copper fungicide + sulfur though.

Thanks Rob, makes sense.

Jeff, are there any brands that you can recommend ( big box store or amazon) for sulphur? Its good to hear you haven't seen any damage to spraying the open blooms, good to hear. Also do you mix Copper and Sulphur in the same tank or spray individually one week apart

Thanks!!

Jeff,

How does the 451 work with wetable powders?

Thanks, Joe.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2016, 08:42:17 PM »
I just mix with water. I've found it best to mix the product in a 5 gal bucket and pour the contents of the bucket into the unit (vs just dumping everything directly into the reservoir). The pump (sold separately) constantly agitates the mix. Whether or not the wettable powders will shorten the life of the pump is an unknown. But, it does a great job. I've switched to THAT flowable (micronized) sulfur recently.

I've also found it to be a good idea to not fill the reservoir more than 2 gallons full (it can take 4 - 5), as the full tank weighs a lot. 2 gallons of mix goes a long way though.

Thanks Rob, makes sense.

Jeff, are there any brands that you can recommend ( big box store or amazon) for sulphur? Its good to hear you haven't seen any damage to spraying the open blooms, good to hear. Also do you mix Copper and Sulphur in the same tank or spray individually one week apart

Thanks!!

Jeff,

How does the 451 work with wetable powders?

Thanks, Joe.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2016, 07:33:37 AM »
"Bonide makes copper soap and micronized sulfur. Both are available on Amazon. I mix the two in the same tank. I don't know if the same is true for liquid copper fungicide + sulfur though."

Thanks Jeff!   :)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2016, 08:27:18 AM »
Mark I thought you had an electrostatic sprayer?

No.  Too expensive for my small op.  I have seen them demonstrated numerous times in vineyards.  They are excellent and work as designed.

I think for you it would be a very wise purchase.  Efficiency is increased and overspray waste is greatly decreased meaning you'll get more bang for the buck regarding chemicals and labor.

This handbook and the recommended chemicals for avocado diseases may apply to mango.  http://plantdiseasehandbook.tamu.edu/food-crops/fruit-crops/avocado/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:10:23 AM by Mark in Texas »

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2016, 04:52:51 PM »
Mark, the Smith sprayer sounds interesting. A reviewer said it sprays higher than some others, and with a bit less effort. Has that been your experience?   I'm an old guy with no stamina, and a 25 foot tall Dot tree  :'(

Jeff, is there any sprayer that you would recommend for spraying sulfur? Something that doesn't cost a bomb?

Being a commercial niche farmer I've been thru a few, including the "better" ones like Solo.  Have had a Smith for a few years and love it and the lifetime guaranty.  Need a part that you just broke?  Call them up and you'll have it in a few days.  150 psi, moveable handle, comfortable and what's crazy is it's sold at Lowe's.  Stihl is supposed to be a good one too.  Never had one though.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_21086-1306-190359_0__?productId=4514296

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2016, 07:00:20 PM »
If it's a backpack sprayer, you would likely need an extension want to hit the upper canopy. I used a 10 foot extension with mine. It's also not necessarily an activity I would consider complementary to low stamina :-).

Mark, the Smith sprayer sounds interesting. A reviewer said it sprays higher than some others, and with a bit less effort. Has that been your experience?   I'm an old guy with no stamina, and a 25 foot tall Dot tree  :'(

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2016, 07:59:57 AM »
I doubt if any backsprayer is gonna be very effective over 10' although I do a pretty good job on 10-12' pecan trees if there's no wind. I use a Fimco trailer type for macho sprays which is pulled behind a lawn tractor.  It has 40 g. tank, 5 HP gasoline engine with wand and 8' boom.  I'm 66 and don't have the strength or stamina I did only 5 years ago and I love the Smith.  Very easy to pump and wear. The handle swings away if need be which is nice when you're getting into and out of it.  I have it setting on a bench so all I have to do is easy into it.  Even 2 gallons of fill can fill heavy for me.

Check out Sprayer Specialties or it may be cheaper to hire someone to do the spraying.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2016, 12:51:08 PM »
For the folks worried about copper toxicity due to applying copper fungicide, here's what I found:

Recommended rates of copper application (as a soil nutrient) are about 3 - 6 pounds per acre (up to 18 pounds when used as a fungicide) per year. However, copper soap (copper octanoate) contains 0.15 pounds of copper per gallon of concentrate (http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/copper_formulations_for_fruit_crops). One gallon of copper soap concentrate is enough to treat my 1/2 acre orchard for roughly one year.  So, at that rate, I'm actually under applying even for the purposes of a soil nutrient :-). I do have some symptoms of copper deficiency on selected trees (ie, gummosis).

As for the human toxicity issues, copper soap is allowed for use in organic production of vegetables right up to the day of harvest per the label :-).

So, I think the product can be used with impunity. Sulfur's story is similar. Don't let fungus ruin your mango crops !

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2016, 08:03:55 PM »
Thanks for the input Jeff.  I actually just sprayed my mango trees for the first time in a couple of years.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2016, 05:03:48 PM »
With the warmer temps and humidity, I'm starting to see some anthracnose. I transitioned from sulfur + copper to all copper.

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2016, 07:11:40 PM »
With the warmer temps and humidity, I'm starting to see some anthracnose. I transitioned from sulfur + copper to all copper.

Jeff, the Bonide Copper bottle recommends between 1/2 and 2 ounces per gallon spray. May I ask what amount you use?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2016, 09:08:30 PM »
When I was using a backpack sprayer, I used the 2 ounces per gal. With the mister, I started using double that and might actually crank it up to 1 cup per gallon based on results, since the mister uses less water.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2016, 10:54:25 PM »
After the heavy rain that we have had over the last few days, I am starting to see powdery mildew on some of my trees, especially on Kesar. Ugly Betty was hit really badly; I think I will be lucky to get a couple of mangoes this from a tree that was the first to bloom and was covered with flowers.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2016, 11:57:55 PM »
You need to start a spraying regimen :-). It makes a big difference. You should start seeing anthracnose pretty soon. It starts off as black spots on the little baby fruits.

After the heavy rain that we have had over the last few days, I am starting to see powdery mildew on some of my trees, especially on Kesar. Ugly Betty was hit really badly; I think I will be lucky to get a couple of mangoes this from a tree that was the first to bloom and was covered with flowers.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2016, 08:32:53 AM »
....and don't forget the surfactant fellers!   Without it your spray/effort is worthless.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2016, 10:20:46 AM »
What do you recommend for use with copper?

According to this article, the surfactant shouldn't have any penetrating characteristics: http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/copper_formulations_for_fruit_crops

....and don't forget the surfactant fellers!   Without it your spray/effort is worthless.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 10:27:14 AM by Cookie Monster »

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2016, 10:25:36 AM »
What do you recommend?

Thanks for asking, Jeff. Inquiring minds want to know which products of this type actually work.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2016, 10:32:41 AM »
What do you recommend?

Typical non-ionic surfactant.  I use NIS brand. $13/gal.  Smaller sizes would be High Yield Spreader-Sticker.

Highly recommend doing a test branch on everything you're contemplating spraying.  I apply orange tape to branches with young foliage, hit it with my mix in a qt. sprayer and wait 2 days to see if there's any phytotoxic thingie going on.  All my trees' young foliage have no aversion to NIS except for my Reed avocado. I have to go 1/2 tsp/gallon on it.  1 tsp/gallon on the others and that includes when I use a dormant or horticultural oil.  You would think the oil would disperse and stick without a surfactant.  It doesn't.

I also get anal regarding the water quality and usually use rain water as the carrier.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2016, 10:39:40 AM »
OK. Looks like Kinetic is OMRI listed. I might give it a shot. Thanks for the advice.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/kinetic-nonionic-surfactant-p-1435.html

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2016, 10:55:32 AM »

Please refresh my memory...Jeff, how often are you spraying with Copper...once a week, every 2 weeks?
Thanks again!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk