Author Topic: Post Pics of Your GRAFTS, and Troubleshoot HERE!  (Read 242335 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Re: Post Pics of Your GRAFTS, and Troubleshoot HERE!
« Reply #825 on: October 20, 2016, 03:42:58 PM »
When desperate, graft crooked, so that the cambiums are guaranteed to cross each other.

I like this should go on a wall plate  :)
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: October 21, 2016, 05:26:32 PM »
dang bro, i have failed every time i tried to graft mulberry.

Ha mulberry tree has been very nice to me, fig tree is a close second. Avocado and loquat, not as much but we talk. Guava, enemies.

I have regular pakistani as rootstock, and my grafts are white paskistani, noir of spain, unknown "white" (with black fruits) and unknown "purple".
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: October 21, 2016, 06:13:51 PM »
Graft in the spring before bud break.

dang bro, i have failed every time i tried to graft mulberry.

do you have the Himalayan Red?

it's one of my favorites...I'm noticing the tree grows much slower than than the Australian white....so far seems like it would be easier to keep small....I planted them at the same time, in the same row, and the red is 1/3 the size of the white.

Jeff  :-)

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #828 on: December 02, 2016, 01:46:25 PM »
So here's how the avocado bud graft has progressed. Does it need support at this point or should I just let it do its thing?

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: December 02, 2016, 03:55:26 PM »
I'd definitely stake it to help straighten it and keep it from snapping off. You can remove the portion of rootstock above the graft too.

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #830 on: December 02, 2016, 04:17:08 PM »
thanks! does anyone have an image of how best to stake it? i really don't want to screw this up!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: December 02, 2016, 06:47:49 PM »
Bend it and tie it to the rootstock.

thanks! does anyone have an image of how best to stake it? i really don't want to screw this up!

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #832 on: December 02, 2016, 06:50:41 PM »
yikes! seriously? i'd be terrified of snapping it!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: December 02, 2016, 08:34:02 PM »
Nah, I do it all the time. If you want to be ultra-careful, start by pulling it and tying it up half way. Then a week or 2 later, bend it the rest of the way and tie it.

yikes! seriously? i'd be terrified of snapping it!

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: June 17, 2017, 01:46:04 PM »
Although I got a message warning me that this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days, since it seems to be the right one to post my questions and it has so much useful information, I will post here so your answers don't get lost for future readers (if I'm doing something wrong by posting here, please let me know so I don't make the same mistake again).

So my case is as follow: I'm getting next month several varieties of mango from Florida in order to graft them in Gomera 3 rootstocks. I'm planing to get about 3 scions of every variety to increase the chances of getting 1 success graft of each. After reading the whole 34 pages of this topic and some others in the forum, and watching several videos in youtube I think I'll try cleft grafting in most of the cases, but I'm thinking of trying as well some veneer graft. (I've being practincing with mangoes branches and graft seems easier to me).

My doubt is if is a good idea to make at the same time 2 veneer grafts in the same rootstock. I'm afraid that this could actually reduce the chances of having success since rootstock have to feed two scions instead of a single one, but I do not have experience grafting mangoes, so I might be wrong. I know people that make 3 chip budding grafts in the same peach rootstock, in order to ensure that at least one succeeds. I'm wondering about that because I have to drive quite a long distance to get my rootstocks and there is a limit of space in my car. If I could graft two scions in one rootstock, I would save space and money.

Second doubt is about fertilisation, I read some advice in this topic about using fertilisation to push the scions growing. My goal here is only to maximize the chances of the grafts succeeding, so I would like to know if fertilisation actually increase or reduces the chances of success. If it do increase it I'm wondering if using guano is a good idea. I used recently for very small seedlings of papaya that were getting yellow, and they seem very happy with it, growing now green and strong.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: June 17, 2017, 02:56:41 PM »
When desperate, graft crooked, so that the cambiums are guaranteed to cross each other.

I keep this in mind, thanks a lot Har!

By the way; I've also found out, that I had some success cleft graftings by using 2 smaller scions side by side if the rootstock is about twice as large...; or by lining up only one side of the cambium if only 1 smaller scion is used...(sorry if this had already been covered in this thread, as I didn't read the entire 34 pages...)
Sam

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #836 on: June 22, 2017, 10:33:40 AM »
Peach cobbler graft wood took, wood was grafted with 3 branches. Multiple pushes. Nice.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: June 22, 2017, 03:22:46 PM »
Impressive! Veneer?

Looks like the scion's diameter is smaller then the rootstock's, is that so? Now I know that you can also do multiple branches on the scion to do grafting, thanks for posting this Behl!
Sam

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #838 on: June 22, 2017, 05:06:57 PM »
its cleft graft.  This was low branch of peach cobbler that I wanted to prune off, I prepped it and timed the graft to current heat wave, its been 10 days since I grafted it. it is pushing 8 branches to be precise. Yes, wood was mature wood a bit smaller than rootstock branch yes!

key is to prep first. otherwise its waste of time.

cape coral Bob

• cape coral
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: July 08, 2020, 04:40:33 PM »
ALOT OF GOOD INFORMATION IN THIS THREAD!  THANK YOU ALL!