Author Topic: Help with newly planted jackfruit  (Read 1543 times)

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
Help with newly planted jackfruit
« on: July 07, 2020, 07:49:35 AM »
Excalibur Red planted about 2 months ago.  Putting out lots of new leaves, but recently the new growth leaves are an odd color, not forming correctly, falling off.  Planted in rocky Broward soil, full sun, I’m sure it’s not a watering issue. I’m thinking maybe fertilizer burn, I’ve applied small amounts of fish fertilizer and Miracle Gro (on advice from Lara Farms).
Would greatly appreciate guidance, thanks in advance!

Budtropicals

• Largest collection in the smallest yard!
    • South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Help with newly planted jackfruit
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 08:56:05 AM »
My MAI 3 jackfruit is also having that leaf curl. If I had to guess I would say its from this heat. Its getting all of my plants a bit wonky and many leaves on many plants are coming out a bit deformed.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 09:47:50 AM »
I'm not saying this is your issue, but to give my Jaks (and all my tropical trees) a start, contrary to popular opinion I amended the soil in the oversize hole before planting. I haven't seen this exact issue, though leaf burn has happened on larger mature outer leaves.

I have a hard time believing that tropical plants will do better dumping them in crap sand and rock than in an amended hole. Sure EVENTUALLY they grow into the rock but at minimum the area directly around the tree seems to get more benefit from mulch, water and fertilizer in amended soil.
Regards,

Gary

Budtropicals

• Largest collection in the smallest yard!
    • South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 10:25:20 AM »
I'm not saying this is your issue, but to give my Jaks (and all my tropical trees) a start, contrary to popular opinion I amended the soil in the oversize hole before planting. I haven't seen this exact issue, though leaf burn has happened on larger mature outer leaves.

I have a hard time believing that tropical plants will do better dumping them in crap sand and rock than in an amended hole. Sure EVENTUALLY they grow into the rock but at minimum the area directly around the tree seems to get more benefit from mulch, water and fertilizer in amended soil.

I really don't see any downside to doing that. I put all kinds of rich soil and organic matter when I plant my trees, and they instantly start to do much better than before.

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 10:52:01 AM »

Sorry I didn’t mention that, I’m not the one who does the actual planting so I don’t think about it, but the soil was amended. My landscaper does the planting, he digs a hole about 3x the pot size and mixes in Kellogg organic garden soil with the native soil. He’s planted at least 20 trees for me over the years, I’ve never had an issue like this, usually everything thrives. Only mentioned rocky soil since usually people ask what kind of soil you have, so this is what I know about it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 10:54:13 AM by canesgirl821 »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 10:54:57 AM »
I have seen this in nursery setring, especially at Excalibur in the past, when the jackfruit get too much water or the pots are sitting in standing water.

If you have complete limerock base where a hole cannit even be dug, then yeas, rock must be removed and area backfield (very common in Western Parkland, Broward County).  Otherwise, no need to dig large and amend (many times that causes harm) for most trees.  There are exceptions such as some of the ultra tropicals like mangosteen.
- Rob

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 11:10:08 AM »
I have seen this in nursery setring, especially at Excalibur in the past, when the jackfruit get too much water or the pots are sitting in standing water.

If you have complete limerock base where a hole cannit even be dug, then yeas, rock must be removed and area backfield (very common in Western Parkland, Broward County).  Otherwise, no need to dig large and amend (many times that causes harm) for most trees.  There are exceptions such as some of the ultra tropicals like mangosteen.

Rob, thanks for your input. I’m in west Sunrise, soil is actually decent, lots of healthy looking black soil with some grey mixed in, but when digging you also pull up lots of rocks, from small ones to an occasional 8-10 inches in diameter. So there’s less native soil to go back into the hole. I don’t think it’s been sitting in water,.  Yes, we’ve had a lot of rain, but it’s on a high spot in the yard and a bit of a mound. Lawn guy did tell me to cut down on my irrigation, which I have, perhaps that’ll help.

I’m surprised no one thinks it’s fertilizer, with the off-color/browning, stunted leaves that fall off.  Guess that’s a good thing, I was concerned I may have burnt it.

Still wondering if there’s anything I can/should do to help it along. Is it just a waiting game to see if it pulls out of it?

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 11:15:39 AM »

I really don't see any downside to doing that. I put all kinds of rich soil and organic matter when I plant my trees, and they instantly start to do much better than before.

I’ve got to agree with this guy. My soil in this part of Fl is pretty much sand and clay so I always add a lot of composted organic matter mixed in a big hole with the sand. Never had a problem doing this, as long as minimal organic matter is touching the graft/ lower trunk.
You said you fertilized with fish emulsions and miracle grow. Miracle gro is one of my preferred ferts because it’s cheap and is pH balanced (around 6) as long as you don’t overfertilize with it.
However I HAVE most DEFINITELY burned plants with fish emulsions. I think that has a low pH around 4-5. I don’t often use this because it gives me annoying pH issues with small plants. I guess if u use that just use a light dose and I’d mix in some limestone with it as well (In a solution)

The way your leaves are dropping, I’d narrow the problem down to either wet roots, pH imbalance from the fish emulsions, or both
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 11:19:14 AM by 850FL »

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 05:08:46 PM »
It does appear a bit stressed to me. I see a reddish tint to the new growth, which like most signs, can mean a few different issues.  We had a week of very high temperatures with no rain. That stress would be my guess as to the cause.  The other causes are less likely, high pH, phosphorus deficiency, and poor nutrient uptake due to root issues but I am not sure 2 months is not long enough for any of these.  I would make sure it gets water every other day and not fertilize it again until it looks better or mid August.
Brandon

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 05:26:43 PM »

I’ve got to agree with this guy. My soil in this part of Fl is pretty much sand and clay so I always add a lot of composted organic matter mixed in a big hole with the sand. Never had a problem doing this, as long as minimal organic matter is touching the graft/ lower trunk.
You said you fertilized with fish emulsions and miracle grow. Miracle gro is one of my preferred ferts because it’s cheap and is pH balanced (around 6) as long as you don’t overfertilize with it.
However I HAVE most DEFINITELY burned plants with fish emulsions. I think that has a low pH around 4-5. I don’t often use this because it gives me annoying pH issues with small plants. I guess if u use that just use a light dose and I’d mix in some limestone with it as well (In a solution)

The way your leaves are dropping, I’d narrow the problem down to either wet roots, pH imbalance from the fish emulsions, or both

Thanks for your input. I thought as fertilizers go, the fish emulsion would be pretty benign, guess I have more reading to do.  Definitely won’t be giving it anything but water for a while to see how it goes. 

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 05:35:49 PM »
It does appear a bit stressed to me. I see a reddish tint to the new growth, which like most signs, can mean a few different issues.  We had a week of very high temperatures with no rain. That stress would be my guess as to the cause.  The other causes are less likely, high pH, phosphorus deficiency, and poor nutrient uptake due to root issues but I am not sure 2 months is not long enough for any of these.  I would make sure it gets water every other day and not fertilize it again until it looks better or mid August.

Hi Brandon, Thanks for your input. It’s definitely stressed, those dark leaves (some reddish and/or brown) don’t grow, they’re reaching about an inch to inch and a half and falling off. All the new growth shows signs of stress right now.
I’ve been supplementing rain with irrigation, actually had been running the sprinklers every day it didn’t rain, but was recently admonished and told to cut back. If anything, I think too much water may be more likely, but I’m certainly no expect (hence my post).
Definitely not going to fertilize for a while, will make sure it’s watered every other day there’s no real rain, cross my fingers and hope it grows out of it. Otherwise, I’ll be back over there looking for another one!  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk