Author Topic: Can I graft Olosapo scion into Mamea Sapote?  (Read 2080 times)

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
Can I graft Olosapo scion into Mamea Sapote?
« on: April 06, 2016, 01:37:08 PM »
I am growing a Mamea Sapote that my mom gave me because the seed was sprouting inside the fruit. The plant is about a year old and I have it in a pot, but I was wondering that if I manage to get my hand in olosapo scion wood, could I graft into it? I love the Olosapo fruit, but dont cave much for Mamea Sapote. Thanks for any advice! XE

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Can I graft Olosapo scion into Mamea Sapote?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 01:45:51 PM »
I would doubt it, the two are not very closely related.  Mamey sapote is a Pouteria while olosapo is a Couepia.   Pouteria is in the Sapotaceae alliance of plants while Couepia is in the Chrysobalanaceae alliance so not close relatives.

John

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 01:50:23 PM »
at fruit and spice park, I saw a tree that's very closely related to olosapo...i forget the species...but the genus was the same.

there must be some intrageneric grafts you can make...but I have only grafted olosapo onto itself.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 02:06:01 PM »
Adam, can you describe your experiences with this fruit and tree?

Y'know tree vigor, ultimate size, time / age of tree to fruit, growing conditions (light, water, fertilizer, soil preferences) and any experiences with pests / disease susceptibility?
Regards,

Gary

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 02:08:30 PM »
Not sure what other Couepia might be at the F&S park but if I were looking for a rootstock, maybe cocoplum (Chrysobalanus icaco) might be worth a try?

John

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 02:16:06 PM »
Adam, can you describe your experiences with this fruit and tree?

Y'know tree vigor, ultimate size, time / age of tree to fruit, growing conditions (light, water, fertilizer, soil preferences) and any experiences with pests / disease susceptibility?

extremely slow grower, cold sensitive (damaged by 32F), got a pair of grafted trees that flowered, but haven't fruited...I guess they are about 2-3yr from grafting..only 3ft tall, in 15 gal pot...one is flowering again now...maybe I can get a fruit set?

seems very heat tolerant, and probably drought tolerant, although I haven't tested them.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 03:25:33 PM »
Hi,

I have a native tree here in Brazil, oiti name (Licania tomentosa), I planted some seeds in January, because I intend to try to graft olosapo it, are much like trees, my two olosapos grow very well up quickly to my point of view .

mamey is complicated grafting mamey in mamey , imagine a tree from another family .

Couepia,
generally do not like cold, I lost many seedlings Couepia longipendula (Castanha de galinha), then I could adapt my conditions, today they go very well!

Thanks!
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 04:35:37 PM »
Thanks for all the responses, I didn’t think I could, but I wanted "the experts" opinions.
I imagine that the easier thing to do will be to get an olosapo seedling and some olosapo scion wood, but I have not been able to get any seedlings or olosapo seeds for that matter. 
Since it seems that getting an icaco plant it’s an easier thing to do, now my quest it’s in getting olosapo scion wood and giving it a whirl......
I have never heard of intergenetic grafts but it sounds interesting, unfortunately there is not many articles on line or here that I could see. My horizons are expanding!

Any of you have any suguestions of where I can get the Icaco plant and the Olosapo scion wood?

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 05:58:48 PM »
Adam,

Thanks for your experiences with Olosapo.

I put mine in a large pot for the tree size (~7 gal) and I put a bamboo stick in the soil to support it and I have made growth progress marks on the stick every 30 days. It has grown 4" per month. I assume this is a juvenile growth spurt ? It's now about 22"tall and looking great.

Regards,

Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk