Author Topic: Longan Lovers ^_^  (Read 3471 times)

Michiganian

• USA, Michigan, Grand Rapids - USDA Zone 5B
    • View Profile
    • My iStock Portfolio (Photos & Illustrations)
Longan Lovers ^_^
« on: December 02, 2013, 10:25:24 AM »
I have had so many people ask, "what's that?" when I tell them my favorite fruit is longan. So I finally decided to do a quick little video to show them. Thought some of you guys might get a kick out of it. ;) -- Make sure to turn the quality up to 1080p HD. :)

http://youtu.be/bf8XxDIGIDQ

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 10:26:55 AM by Michiganian »
~ Cassandra

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Longan Lovers ^_^
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 01:03:43 PM »
Thanks for posting the video! Do you happen to know what variety those fruit are?
Simon

Michiganian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 01:19:10 PM »
Most of them, yes! The ones in the first picture, the one I am opening up, and the ones I have displayed on the white board (whole fruit, half fruit with seed exposed, and then just the seed) are all Biew Kiew. The ones in the bowl in front of the window though, I cannot state for sure which variety those are. I found those at my local Asian market weeks ago (and weren't nearly as fresh as the Biew Kiew).
~ Cassandra

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 01:42:27 PM »
Nice video, thanks for posting.  Watching it got me hungry enough to go out and pick a few not fully ripe longan from my tree.

Richard

Michiganian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 05:36:59 PM »
Since I forgot to say it earlier, you all are most welcome. :) Hopefully yours will be ready soon, Rtreid!

Question for you guys. Do you ever freeze your extra longan? I've been told you can do that, but I haven't yet. Was wondering what the process was... (since I'm contemplating ordering another box). Also, how do they taste after being frozen?
~ Cassandra

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 06:06:28 PM »
Great video! You should do a series of these for all the tropical fruit you come across.

Michiganian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 06:21:49 PM »
Thank you!

I'd definitely be interested in doing that. Good, fresh tropical fruits are a bit hard to come by in Michigan... but I do love to travel. ^_^
~ Cassandra

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 12:32:35 AM »
Since I forgot to say it earlier, you all are most welcome. :) Hopefully yours will be ready soon, Rtreid!

Question for you guys. Do you ever freeze your extra longan? I've been told you can do that, but I haven't yet. Was wondering what the process was... (since I'm contemplating ordering another box). Also, how do they taste after being frozen?

I just froze some longans for first time. You can freeze them skin and all in freezer bags. Taste pretty decent, but ofcourse fresh is best. I also tried drying longans for first time. Dried them also skin and all. Taste is great, but there is barely anything to eat around the seed once dried.
Oscar

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 01:33:02 AM »
Very nice, professional, entertaining and refreshing longan video, you are artistically gifted and it shows, you're very lucky in that your gift can be applied towards anything you choose/like, thanks for posting.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 01:40:23 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Michiganian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 11:08:49 AM »
Thanks for the tips, Oscar. I think I'm gonna go ahead and try the freezing routine. I want to be able to just have some every now and then, and this seems to be the best option for me.

Thank you very much, Leo! :) Hopefully I will be able to share more videos in the future.
~ Cassandra

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 12:29:14 PM »
Nice video!!  I have grown to appreciate Longan more over time. We can get them at asian markets in Nashville pretty easily, but they're not very good quality.  We ordered some from Robert Is Here and they were much better.

Definitely a unique flavor - not one I'm crazy about.

Michiganian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 01:44:26 PM »
Thank you, Triloba. :)

You know what's funny? I haven't actually tried a lychee or rambutan yet. I may end up liking them, too, but there will always be a special place in my heart for longan. The longan I had fresh in Thailand doesn't even compare to what I can find in the local Asian markets... so far, 95% of those have been well past their prime. They taste a lot different when they are "over ripe". I hope you have the opportunity to try fresh picked longan some time in the future. Your "not crazy about" might just change to "crazy for." :)
~ Cassandra

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 01:48:32 PM »
Thank you, Triloba. :)

You know what's funny? I haven't actually tried a lychee or rambutan yet. I may end up liking them, too, but there will always be a special place in my heart for longan. The longan I had fresh in Thailand doesn't even compare to what I can find in the local Asian markets... so far, 95% of those have been well past their prime. They taste a lot different when they are "over ripe". I hope you have the opportunity to try fresh picked longan some time in the future. Your "not crazy about" might just change to "crazy for." :)

I think lychee tastes better than both longan and rambutan but good pulasan is better than the rest.

Michiganian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 02:04:37 PM »
I am so ready to try them all! I know I can find rambutan locally, but I have never seen red (or yellow) ones. By the time they hit our shelves, they are brown and dried out. -- I haven't seen lychee, and I definitely haven't seen pulasan.

I'm having one of those "moments" where I can't believe I never thought to call around to local international markets to see what they offer. :o I know what I'll be doing all next week.  ;D

~ Cassandra

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 04:47:04 PM »
There are people that prefer longans over lychees, but they must be 5% of the lot, the vast majority prefer lychee. Here you can always see an over abundance of longans, but you will never see any over abundance of lychees. Lychees are so well liked here that all the fruits produced are consumed locally, unlike the case of longans that are exported.
Oscar

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 06:56:14 PM »
Very well done video. I really...really...hope that my Biew Kiew tree decides this coming season to bloom and fruit.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk