Author Topic: Hawaiin Help Needed!  (Read 3697 times)

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Hawaiin Help Needed!
« on: April 04, 2015, 01:29:21 PM »
I'm visiting friends on Oahu - Kaaawa to be specific - and the lady of the house has expressed an
interest in getting a mango tree. So, we are tentatively planning to go out and get one at a local nursery, maybe on Monday.  They live right on the beach, driveway is off Kamehemeha Hwy, and my big concern is the constant prevailing winds they have in the large front yard of their property which blow through the house non-stop.  On the back side of their two story property is about a 8-10 strip of land.  That seems like the logical place to plant it, but it would be right next to the building and get that reflected afternoon sunny heat, maybe not an issue out here, especially with that wind...

Anyway, I'm thinking that's the logical place for it, but any advice Oscar, or anyone else has who understands the local conditions around here would be appreciated.  Also, advice on which variety of mango to buy, where near here to buy it, and any other thoughts would also be welcomed....

Thanks, guys......gary

mushroombob

• Logan, Utah, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Hawaiin Help Needed!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 02:07:37 PM »
I used to live in laie, right down the highway from kaaawa . I worked on a papaya farm and behind the farm were a few giant mango trees. In the forest a little farther back I found mangoes about 50 feet tall or more

These were all sheltered from the constant wind from the coast, and did very well. Harvesting was a little of a challenge though, I had to climb way up in the branche's with a bag. But they were delicious. I know most people don't like the resinous flavored mangoes,and I understand why, and I also appreciate the delicious sweet and fiber free good varieties, but I also find the wilder mangoes interesting and delicious in there own way

Long story short, I think behind the house would be a great place for it!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 05:57:35 PM »
I'm visiting friends on Oahu - Kaaawa to be specific - and the lady of the house has expressed an
interest in getting a mango tree. So, we are tentatively planning to go out and get one at a local nursery, maybe on Monday.  They live right on the beach, driveway is off Kamehemeha Hwy, and my big concern is the constant prevailing winds they have in the large front yard of their property which blow through the house non-stop.  On the back side of their two story property is about a 8-10 strip of land.  That seems like the logical place to plant it, but it would be right next to the building and get that reflected afternoon sunny heat, maybe not an issue out here, especially with that wind...

Anyway, I'm thinking that's the logical place for it, but any advice Oscar, or anyone else has who understands the local conditions around here would be appreciated.  Also, advice on which variety of mango to buy, where near here to buy it, and any other thoughts would also be welcomed....

Thanks, guys......gary

Suggest getting a Kurashige mango if possible.  They do well along the coast. Try Frankies nursery in Waimanalo. Yes planting behind house, or where house shelters from wind would help.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 09:53:27 AM »
I am not from Hawaii,  never been there (though a trip there and visit to Oscar's is on my "list"), and i did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...but I would take Oscar's advice and run with it.
- Rob

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 03:53:39 PM »
yes, agree Rob...and thanks Oscar - we're headed to Frankie's thismorning.

And Bob - thanks for your memories!  But you know, I don't think I could live here -
getting a blue sky with the sun seems very rare - at least in the Kaaawa location.
I mean perfect weather with tradewinds but ALWAYS cloudy/gloomy...

Gary

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 11:46:26 PM »
I used to live in laie, right down the highway from kaaawa . I worked on a papaya farm and behind the farm were a few giant mango trees. In the forest a little farther back I found mangoes about 50 feet tall or more

These were all sheltered from the constant wind from the coast, and did very well. Harvesting was a little of a challenge though, I had to climb way up in the branche's with a bag. But they were delicious. I know most people don't like the resinous flavored mangoes,and I understand why, and I also appreciate the delicious sweet and fiber free good varieties, but I also find the wilder mangoes interesting and delicious in there own way

Long story short, I think behind the house would be a great place for it!
I lived in Laie also on the point and worked on Roy's farm with TC behind the school harvesting bananas, papayas and prawns in the 80's.
Fang, hope you have a good time at Frankies, he should have some nice lanzones, cainitos, and garcinias to eat now. You can also buy some plants and bare root them and take them to the USDA and have them checked and bring them over.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 01:36:31 AM »
I am not from Hawaii,  never been there (though a trip there and visit to Oscar's is on my "list"), and i did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...but I would take Oscar's advice and run with it.

Rob, you should come for the next Hawaii fruit conference. Special guest speaker will be world renown expert on everything having to do with tropical fruits. He is from Thailand. He will be telling us how to fruit mangosteens from seed in only 18 months. His name is Erick , aka Bangcock.
Sorry, had to get that very late april fools joke in there.
The real main speaker will be Yan Diczbalis from Australia. He will be giving a research report for both Australia and Phillippines. He's a really great speaker, and very nice chap also. Joseph Simcox, the "Fruit Explorer" will also be there. Maybe he'll give us survival training on Hawaiian jungles? ;) Anyway, you can see the whole program here under conference agenda: http://htfg.org/. The conference is September 24-27. Plan to stay at least couple days extra as the conference is in Kona, and the real action is on other Hilo side of the island.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 02:35:14 AM »
Yup and don't forget to try all those mini-fruits sold on Hawaii, they try to sell the seeds from those but i would go for bigger seeds myself.

Try the mahachok grown from (mono)seed, why is it even called mahachanok by the way? Maybe Rob mangocourse can explain that.  ;D

Oh and bring your black pyama's as well,  that's how you travel on hawaii, you 'll make friends with that. And a haircut is also not needed by the way.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 02:36:58 AM by bangkok »

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 11:11:19 AM »

LOL.  Guess it all depends on what you're used to.  I'm from Coastal Alaska, the cloudiest region in the US, and have never found Hilo to be gloomy.  Actually, it's frequently too sunny.   :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 05:42:41 PM »

LOL.  Guess it all depends on what you're used to.  I'm from Coastal Alaska, the cloudiest region in the US, and have never found Hilo to be gloomy.  Actually, it's frequently too sunny.   :)

He's not talking about Hilo, but rather Oahu - Kaaawa . Most of Oahu is very sunny, but there are highland areas that are continously socked in. Not sure where Kaawa is?
Oscar

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 01:39:05 AM »
Kaaawa is a town about a 45 min. drive North of Kailua on the Kamehameha Hwy.  Oscar,
I talked to Frankie and he didn't seem to have the variety you mentioned.  Instead we bought
a Kalimantan mango, also called Kasturi, that he said is from Borneo and is pretty anthracnose
resistant and produces well....so....that's what we went with....

I don't know - on finding it on Google, it seems to be a diff. Mangifera species than the regular mango
and apparently has fiber.....oh well....if it does good, it still could work....

Thanks again for the help....

Gary

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 01:42:51 AM »
Kaaawa is a town about a 45 min. drive North of Kailua on the Kamehameha Hwy.  Oscar,
I talked to Frankie and he didn't seem to have the variety you mentioned.  Instead we bought
a Kalimantan mango, also called Kasturi, that he said is from Borneo and is pretty anthracnose
resistant and produces well....so....that's what we went with....

I don't know - on finding it on Google, it seems to be a diff. Mangifera species than the regular mango
and apparently has fiber.....oh well....if it does good, it still could work....

Thanks again for the help....

Gary
Kasturi is not a mango, but a different species: Mangifera kasturi. Frank is right that it will do well in cloudy area. It's good tasting, very similar to mango. Only problem is that they are quite small. There are some threads about kasturi on the forum with photos that you can look at.
Oscar

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 11:04:20 PM »
It's good tasting, very similar to mango. Only problem is that they are quite small..

Quite small, and inferior to a real mango, IMO.  :-[