Author Topic: Can anyone offer tropical Fig seeds  (Read 3749 times)

GEMS

• Sri Lanka
    • View Profile
Can anyone offer tropical Fig seeds
« on: July 01, 2015, 06:09:43 AM »
Can anyone offer tropical Fig seeds

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone offer tropical Fig seeds
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 10:34:17 AM »
What do you mean by TROPICAL FIG?
Do you mean Ficus carica?
Lorenzo

GEMS

• Sri Lanka
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 01:00:15 AM »
What do you mean by TROPICAL FIG?
Do you mean Ficus carica?

Exactly but it should grow in tropical climate. Tropical and humid all year around. Sri LAnka is a tropical country

GEMS

• Sri Lanka
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 10:05:58 PM »

A member recommended me to find some cuttings without foliage from the  varieties PETITE NEGRI (very good one for warm-humid climate) and  ITALIAN HONEY fig. They seem to flourish in warm and humid climate. Any suggestions of receiving some cuttings

afriadoni

• thanks God , i was born in paradise :)
    • jl. ganesha 01,kotabumi,Lampung , Indonesia
    • View Profile
    • tropicalseeds.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 10:47:54 PM »
Hi ,
Ficus carica surely are not tropical plant.. We got only inedible ficus here in tropics.
and you need to know growing ficus carica from the seeds are just wasting your time . Figs which growing from the seeds will not bearing mature fruit because it will be smyrna type or caprifig type.

Most of common fig will succesfully grown in tropics just keep watching for nematodes and fungus .

The solution is buy cuttings or bareroot .
Just share

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 10:05:41 AM »
Hi ,
Ficus carica surely are not tropical plant.. We got only inedible ficus here in tropics.
and you need to know growing ficus carica from the seeds are just wasting your time . Figs which growing from the seeds will not bearing mature fruit because it will be smyrna type or caprifig type.

Most of common fig will succesfully grown in tropics just keep watching for nematodes and fungus .

Just share

For sure Figs like most the typical mediterranean climate with moderately cold winters and hot dry summers but i can assure you that they can grow in the tropics and bear perfectly edible fruits.
My italian friends has some fig trees here in Cebu island - Philippines just 9.9°N from the equator  and he enjoyed several tasty fruits.
Of course it's not the best conditions to grow a fig tree, this is for sure but it's still possible unlike for example cherries or prunes or apricots that never bear fruits here since they need a chilling period.
I agree with you much better propagate by cuttings that by the way root easily and promptly.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 10:18:33 AM by Lory »
Lorenzo

GEMS

• Sri Lanka
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 10:24:40 AM »
Thanks both of you foe enlightening me about figs. Who shares cuttings with me?

afriadoni

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 01:14:18 PM »
Hi ,

Just share

For sure Figs like most the typical mediterranean climate with moderately cold winters and hot dry summers but i can assure you that they can grow in the tropics and bear perfectly edible fruits.
My italian friends has some fig trees here in Cebu island - Philippines just 9.9°N from the equator  and he enjoyed several tasty fruits.
Of course it's not the best conditions to grow a fig tree, this is for sure but it's still possible unlike for example cherries or prunes or apricots that never bear fruits here since they need a chilling period.
I agree with you much better propagate by cuttings that by the way root easily and promptly.
Agree , they can grow well in the tropics with no sleeping periods .
i have severals figs here . Better taste the fruit on dry seasons like this because they will be tasteless in rain seasons due the overwatering

GEMS

• Sri Lanka
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 05:40:16 AM »
Hi Afridoni,

In your list no figs advertised. What seed remaims for trade in that list. Do you trade fig cuttings

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 08:30:48 AM »
Thanks both of you foe enlightening me about figs. Who shares cuttings with me?

I will do it as soon my plants will be grown enough, they are still  less than one year old  :)
Lorenzo

afriadoni

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 08:58:49 AM »
Hi gems , i usually trade my seeds and scions with fig cuttings , so i'm not sell my fig just collect them buddy :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk