Author Topic: Avocado suggestions needed for SWFL  (Read 1449 times)

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Avocado suggestions needed for SWFL
« on: August 26, 2018, 09:30:28 PM »
Hey all, I need to get some more avocados.  Any suggestions appreciated.  I would also like early and late varieties to extend harvest.

I currently have a

1. Marcus Pumpkin
2. Loretta
3. What I believe is a Mexicola, but ripens in July.  Healthy tree, but fruit is small and fairly tasteless.  Wouldn't mind replacing it.
4. Haas, but this is to be replaced, it isn't very happy in SW Florida.

I want to buy several avocado trees, some day I'd like to sell them.  But I want good quality eating fruits, as well as early and late varieties. 

Is the Florida Haas any good?

Wurtz??

Any suggestions appreciated.  I would also like early and late varieties to extend harvest.

Thanks!
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Created4Us

• JoshGNaples
    • Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado suggestions needed for SWFL
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 10:11:53 PM »
Hey Coach, I'm in Naples as well and I recently bought and planted a Wurtz, Super Haas, and Oro Negro.  All 15 or 25 gallon. I got them from Fruitscapes. The Super Haas is only really found at fruitscapes from what I understand. I believe it was a Haas offspring that was growing well in Texas.  The tree has fruit now but they won't be ripe for several months. I'm happy to let you try one when their ripe. They look like a haas.  No fruit on the Wurtz or Oro negro but I researched this topic forever before deciding on these. I was mainly seeking a high oil content fruit as close to a store bought Haas just like we all are. I consistently found good reviews on the wurtz and Oro negro but have not tasted either yet. I can tell the Wurtz is a slow growing compact tree and the leaves are a lighter color. The Oro Negro is a beautiful full dark green tree. The Super Haas is also a nice tree. Very upright tall tree. Hope that helps. - Josh Graeve

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 07:00:38 AM »
This year so far for an early variety Brogdon has produced well and fruit quality(taste) is good. It has a shiny black skin that shows itself ready to pick easily (turns black). Rather unique thin skin which is thin enough to be eaten early on but as maturity progressed I've been scooping with a spoon. Time will tell on other varieties as season moves along.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
-Josh

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 11:56:34 PM »
Hey Coach, I'm in Naples as well and I recently bought and planted a Wurtz, Super Haas, and Oro Negro.  All 15 or 25 gallon. I got them from Fruitscapes. The Super Haas is only really found at fruitscapes from what I understand. I believe it was a Haas offspring that was growing well in Texas.  The tree has fruit now but they won't be ripe for several months. I'm happy to let you try one when their ripe. They look like a haas.  No fruit on the Wurtz or Oro negro but I researched this topic forever before deciding on these. I was mainly seeking a high oil content fruit as close to a store bought Haas just like we all are. I consistently found good reviews on the wurtz and Oro negro but have not tasted either yet. I can tell the Wurtz is a slow growing compact tree and the leaves are a lighter color. The Oro Negro is a beautiful full dark green tree. The Super Haas is also a nice tree. Very upright tall tree. Hope that helps. - Josh Graeve

That's very generous of you.  I would like to take you up on that, thank you very much.  I get most of my stuff at Fruitscapes.  I'm going to head over to Pine Island Nursery soon to check them out.   Oro Negro is also on my short list.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 12:02:46 AM by Coach62 »
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 11:58:14 PM »
This year so far for an early variety Brogdon has produced well and fruit quality(taste) is good. It has a shiny black skin that shows itself ready to pick easily (turns black). Rather unique thin skin which is thin enough to be eaten early on but as maturity progressed I've been scooping with a spoon. Time will tell on other varieties as season moves along.

I picked up some brogdon fruits at fruitscapes when I was up there a couple of weeks ago when we met.  They were pretty decent for sure.  Please keep me up to date. 
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 09:52:36 AM »
The 8 Wurtz avocado on my tree will be ready in October/Nov and I will report back. Mean while, you might want to add "Nishikawa" to your list, I read that it spread like butter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk